Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

tomierna (Admin) – December 01, 2009 12:28PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
The Steved one's utterances could be read another way, too.

Up until recently, Google purchased licenses to all of their maps from the larger mapping companies like NavTeq and Tele Atlas. Coincidentally, these are the same vendors that turn by turn GPS providers purchase their licenses for.

So, while it's pretty clear that someone's license wouldn't allow iPhone to use turn by turn, it may have been Google's licenses that were inherited by Apple's license.

Remember the "until recently" part above?

http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2009/10/07/google-maps-now-uses-their-own-map-data/

All of this may not be relevant, but it's interesting.

John Willoughby – December 04, 2009 04:10PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – December 05, 2009 01:27AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – December 05, 2009 11:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so what does that mean?

Apple couldn't figure out or did not want to reinvent this stuff? Or, needed some IP they owned?

John Willoughby – December 05, 2009 04:24PM Reply Quote
It sounds like they wanted engineers with streaming audio experience.

ddt – December 05, 2009 06:00PM Reply Quote
yeah, but a short dose of antibiotics should clear that streaming right up.

ddt

John Willoughby – January 01, 2010 02:39PM Reply Quote

Bruce Robertson – January 01, 2010 08:03PM Reply Quote
Probably unlikely he would accept but in a way might be a good deal both ways. Where does a massive US manufacturing company go to get absolutely the best candidate they can find? Who on the entire planet do you turn to for this level of expertise? Apple.

tliet – January 02, 2010 11:40AM Reply Quote
Hmm, I don't know. Cars and iPods are quite different I'd say. Or people would want to buy cars that come with a shining chassis, completely sealed engine and a 3 year lifespan.

Or GM has decided that really bold measures are necessary and have a roadmap to phase out the internal combustion engine in 10 years time.

stan adams – January 02, 2010 05:58PM Reply Quote
Ha! The issues that led to GM's meltdown are largely things that no tech firm has ever had to deal with in the US -- bizarre government back financial strictures, labor agreement still largely formed in an era when there was no global competition, extreme fragmentation of former customers, hangover of wasting cash on failed attempts to buy nameplates instead of legitimate diversification...

If Cook takes this job it will only be because they offer he so much money in such a short time frame with so few strings attached that he would literally be able to buy a private island to escape to when he craters. A situation almost certain NOT to happen...

I really hope he does not do this. There is no problem at GM even remotely within the ability of someone like Cook to address. I do think a non-car guy could do some good there, but probably someone from the broad range of global telcom firms that operate with much more constrictive limits based on their legacy of large labor forces and outdated regulatory mandates...

Bruce Robertson – January 05, 2010 01:33PM Reply Quote
Fulminating FileMaker fanboy still loving the whole completely off the radar thing but predicting it will not be that way much longer. Happily, no NDA or secrets to base this on; but rather on different personal calculations of cluefulness/silence ratios.

johnny k – January 05, 2010 02:36PM Reply Quote
What - something cooking at FileMaker?
I got a trial version of Bento to do some really quick/dirty contact database for my mom's school. I don't know if I even want to pay $50 if it's going to remain such a closed box. Apparently FM will never give it even Automator support because it will compete with FileMaker. I wish it could at least link to Numbers so I can make graphs (ideally that display in Bento), but the best I can do is manually export to CSV and have Numbers take it from there. But all I really need is mail merge and perhaps a simple Web interface. Any cheap and simple alternative?

Bruce Robertson – January 05, 2010 04:51PM Reply Quote
Love reading Brian Dunning's "Browse Mode" for instance Reinventing the Wheel.
Start:
If I hear another request from someone looking for a $50 off-the-shelf solution for Flying Wing maintenance software for companies operating north of the Arctic Circle who speak Afrikaans and track parts and supplies in cubits and hectares, BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO REINVENT THE WHEEL, I'm going to jump off a bridge.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2010 05:31PM Reply Quote

Jeff Cooper – January 18, 2010 01:20PM Reply Quote
My latest contribution to Apple's bottom line: a refurb Macbook, to replace the four-year-old iBook that my daughter beat the hell out of and that can no longer keep up with her games. Let's see: in four years that's four Macs purchased directly from Apple (not counting my work Macbook Pro, purchased from Apple by IU) and two others purchased new from retailers. (And not counting a couple more purchased used on eBay).

You're welcome.

I'm insane.

John Willoughby – January 18, 2010 04:56PM Reply Quote
Welcome to the club!

ARL (Moderator) – January 18, 2010 10:42PM Reply Quote
Two macs in as many years - I guess I'm just slightly mad...

ARL (Moderator) – January 25, 2010 06:45PM Reply Quote

tliet – January 26, 2010 10:13AM Reply Quote
After seeing this speech, a lot of SJ makes more sense; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 10:13AM by tliet.

John Willoughby – February 18, 2010 08:50PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login