Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

Simon – October 22, 2009 06:55AM Reply Quote
The only reason I wanted to a mini tower mac was so i could upgrade the graphics card so I could play games. I gave up expecting Apple to do anything and built a PC for games and got an xbox. I think Apple has given up on that segment so I gave up waiting. Because I only use it for games (and torrents) it doesn't give me any trouble.

Simon – October 22, 2009 06:57AM Reply Quote
The new mini server comes with dual 500gb hard drives as well.

bahamut – October 22, 2009 07:31AM Reply Quote
I'd be glad to get a more powerful mini, if only it had a reasonable graphics card and quad core option...

ARL (Moderator) – October 22, 2009 10:46PM Reply Quote
So, basically to please all of us, Apple needs to have about 12 different product lines - a bit like in the days of Amelio.

Good thing Steve ignores the likes of us...

stan adams – October 23, 2009 10:32AM Reply Quote
Tony Leggett
So, basically to please all of us, Apple needs to have about 12 different product lines - a bit like in the days of Amelio.

Good thing Steve ignores the likes of us...

The EARNINGS suggest Apple is way more dialed in to the wants of their customers than most firms.

I can understand where Baha is coming from, but when I browse the computer stores the number of units that look like what he'd want are pretty tiny in comparison to the stuff that is offered. Tons of laptops, most not as sleek as Apple's offerings. A smaller number of all-in-ones that pretty much without exception still look like they were made by eyeless mole people in comparison to iMacs. The Mac Pro tower is kinda too big for home use, but the slickness of the access is top notch. I think if Apple tried to do something that more the size of a Shuttle PC and still had the access features of the Pro they'd have to charge a lot of money or loose money on 'em. Not going to happen.

I know the economics of Apple selling minis at the price point I would like to see is not favorable enough for Apple to consider, but I can whine a bit, can't I???

bahamut – October 24, 2009 09:01PM Reply Quote
iphone
ipod classic
ipod touch
ipod nano
ipod shuffle
mac pro
macbook pro
macbook
appletv
imac
mac mini

i guess one more would be bad. that must be why they're holding off on the tablet.

i dunno why what i'm asking for would be so pricey.

basically, i'm asking for the power of a higher end iMac, no monitor, and a couple of drive bays.

we know the first two parts are doable…easy. build something like the mini only hell, toss in a real graphics card and don't optimize for space, optimize for cooling.
so all that's left is to put in removable drive bays. that's a killer? hard drives can be removed across the unibody MBP line. what is tough there?

in other words, apple sells something that's competitive with a comparable PC tower in price (let's say $1200) but removes the features that few people use (pci slots) to achieve the price.

El Jeffe – October 24, 2009 10:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I went to our Apple Store today.
They had no Mac Minis. Am I missing something here? Did they run out of stock and the new ones are not immediately available? Is Apple not selling the minis through the Apple Stores?
I know. I should have asked. But I had about 5 minutes of feeling like being vertical and it was crowded. So, I left.
The 27" is beautiful.

psychprof – October 25, 2009 03:06PM Reply Quote
the 27" imac is very impressive. i left the apple store yesterday trying to think of ways to justify buying something that i absolutely do not need. not just the size, but the picture quality ... i DO need a new tv for the bedroom, and if it happened to have a computer attached to it ....

jerry

Jeff Cooper – October 28, 2009 09:28AM Reply Quote
Jeffe, what time were you in the Apple Store on Saturday? I was there with my two kids in the late afternoon.

The 27" iMac is indeed gorgeous. I tried to play with the new mouse a bit, but it's difficult to do with an impatient four-year-old pulling on your arm.

I was less impressed by the new MacBook, which is absurdly glossy and which will almost certainly age badly.

stan adams – October 28, 2009 10:43AM Reply Quote
Jeff Cooper
Jeffe, what time were you in the Apple Store on Saturday? I was there with my two kids in the late afternoon.

The 27" iMac is indeed gorgeous. I tried to play with the new mouse a bit, but it's difficult to do with an impatient four-year-old pulling on your arm.

I was less impressed by the new MacBook, which is absurdly glossy and which will almost certainly age badly.

Doesn't your Apple Store have the iMacs set up on low table with squishy red ball to sit on running appropriate kid software? Really reverses the the "arm tugging" as I have to pull the kids out... ;^) Genuis Bar indeed, marketing genius!

El Jeffe – October 28, 2009 11:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jeff Cooper

I was feeling pretty crappy. I literally popped in and out in minutes. Did not want to stand very long.
Not 100% sure, but somewhere between 2 and 3? If I stood any way but facing you, you likely would not see me. :) (aka - thin)

Jeff Cooper – October 29, 2009 04:13PM Reply Quote
stan adams
Doesn't your Apple Store have the iMacs set up on low table with squishy red ball to sit on running appropriate kid software? Really reverses the the "arm tugging" as I have to pull the kids out... ;^) Genuis Bar indeed, marketing genius!

It does, but the kids' iMacs are clear across the store from the display of new iMacs, and the kids' iMacs are still the old 20" model with the old Mighty Mouse. So if I wanted to see the new ones, I had to have my four-year-old in tow (there is no way I'm going to let her out of my sight in that environment--she's a menace. A very cute menace, but a menace nonetheless.)

Jeffe, I was there about an hour later. Sorry to have missed you, but it sounds like it wouldn't have been a good day to see you anyway.

El Jeffe – October 29, 2009 04:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My wife corrected me. Says we were there about 4:45 - 5 ish.

El Jeffe – November 30, 2009 07:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not sure where to put this.

http://gizmodo.com/5415565/more-evidence-apples-looking-beyond-google-for-iphone-maps

Do you think it smart if Apple is really looking to ditch Google Maps?
What more could Apple do that Google Maps and all the other API/add-ons don't already do?

This, if true, seems to be a bit of a bad decision to me. But, only time will tell if anything shall come of this.

Simon – November 30, 2009 08:23PM Reply Quote
Googles licensing terms don't allow apple to do Turn-by-Turn. I imagine that's functionality Apple is keen to add.

ddt – November 30, 2009 10:25PM Reply Quote
simon, do you have a source for that? interesting...

ddt

Simon – December 01, 2009 05:28AM Reply Quote
When Apple announced OS 3.0 the said that developers could now develop their own turn-by-turn apps, but they had to bring their own maps because their google maps license didn't extend to turn-by-turn. I don't have a link to the actual event the announcement occurred at to hand though.

Simon – December 01, 2009 05:31AM Reply Quote
Here it is:

10:22AM "Now there is one more thing we're doing with maps. We're enabling developers to use core location for turn by turn directions." Again, finally!

10:23AM "Now there is one catch -- bring your own maps. Due to licensing, we can't use those tiles in maps." So turn by turn is coming.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/live-from-apples-iphone-os-3-0-preview-event/

El Jeffe – December 01, 2009 10:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
regardless, to me it seems like this is a significant split in the two companies' cooperation.
Google Maps is so pervasive, I'd hate to see anyone, let alone Apple, tackle coming up with a good chunk of the functionality on their own.
Unless they can use GMaps for 90% of what they need, and then use their own stuff for 10% that will give them the additional turn-by-turn work-around.

This is in my mind akin to any car company saying they will need to develop their own Prius drivetrain since they can't license it. Prius is way out ahead, and so is Google Maps. (ARE google maps???)

ddt – December 01, 2009 10:33AM Reply Quote
thanks, simon! that is interesting.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login