Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

John Willoughby – February 13, 2017 01:17PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Lost money in bonds, or lost money relative to leaving the money in the stock market? Like I said, they're my bomb shelter for potential Trump-induced market chaos.

El Jeffe – February 13, 2017 05:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
One stock in any significant amount is looked at as unnecessary risk by many advisors.
I have signed up with PersonalCapital (dot com) and they really push diversification. It automatically happens, to balance.
I currently show
US Stocks 53%
Intl 23
US Bonds 16
Alternatives 5
Intl bonds 2
Cash at 1.5
(rounded the above)

within US stocks
large cap core 12
large cap growth 11.5
large cap value 11
[ Dis, 3M, PG, BI, Aet, MSFT, GE, UPS, GOOG, CVS, SBUX...]

mid cap value 4
mid cap growth 3.5
mid cap core 3.5

Small cap growth 3
small cap core 3
small cap value 2

Within bonds
gov 8%
corp 8%

Alternatives
Real Estate 3.5
Gold .5
Energy .2

Balanced across sectors
Tech 17
Financial 14
healthcare 14
consumer cyclical 12
industrials 12
consumer defensive 10
etc....

Cash
$100s a few
$50s some
$20 a LOT
pennies... waaaaaay too many.

bahamut – February 13, 2017 10:47PM Reply Quote
Lost money. See here. I bought in June or was it July.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vbltx&oq=vbltx

I've also got some dividends from it though. Maybe $6000?

You might want to watch some videos in which Jack Bogle (founder of Vanguard) talks about why he only believes in a total stock market fund like ^VTSAX. All that balance, all those small caps, even international (you think AAPL isn't an international stock?) is all in the market. Makes some sense to me.

I've also bought a bit of ^VCSAX (Consumer Staples) which has cost me, I'd have an extra $100k in my pocket if I'd bought more ^VTSAX instead, but my theory was that ^VCSAX bounces back much quicker than ^VTSAX during a crash. Plus it delivers better dividends In the end they are about equal (^VCSAX maybe a little ahead, which matters a lot in the market). The idea is that I'll do better during crashes as a result … Of course it's not much fun waiting now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 10:48PM by bahamut.

El Jeffe – February 14, 2017 05:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So far this Trump administration has not killed AAPL.
It has not been bad.
It has been good.
It's been great.
(pick one)

https://www.ft.com/content/9775f054-edaa-11e6-930f-061b01e23655
Repatriated cash sounds good. Not sure what prior BHO-admin attempted along these line. Don't care. History.

So far this Trump administration
has not killed DJIA.
It has not been bad.
It has been good.
It's been great.
(pick one)

John Willoughby – February 14, 2017 10:59AM Reply Quote
Good. I agree. So far. Now, what happens to those graphs if we start a trade war with China? What if we start a literal war?

Mokers (Moderator) – February 14, 2017 02:51PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
As always, I am fearing the bubble. I am sure lots of people were touting how great Bush had been for the Dow in January 2008. And let's not forget that the inherited a pretty good economy. Judging his performance relative to <30 days in office is poor. I will say that the economic improvements you cite are more likely to help his cabinet than the poor forgotten workers that he blathers on about.

John Willoughby – February 14, 2017 03:15PM Reply Quote
I think that the GOP, with promises of lower taxes on the wealthy and less regulation of business, traditionally provides a burst to economic activity on coming into office. If the deficit keeps growing, and budget shortfalls start impacting daily life, then a lot of the gains might disappear.

ddt – February 14, 2017 08:17PM Reply Quote
It's true, the market lags -- and the Obama economy was really good for the stock market (despite what you may read in certain places, Jeffe).

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2017 08:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The 3 months since the election and three weeks since the inauguration have been surprising - I'll admit that. I'll be interested to compare those numbers at the 3 month, 6 month and 12 month mark.

The DIJA went up approx 140% under 8 years of Obama.

By my calculations the DIJA needs to be roughly at the 45000 mark to have been as successful - assuming there are 8 years of this republican administration.

If they do that, I'll agree that on at least one benchmark, they "made America great again"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 10:01PM by ARL.

bahamut – February 14, 2017 10:05PM Reply Quote
Obama economy was great for stocks, no question.

2001-2008 was an incredible disaster for stocks. January 20, 2001 Dow Jones = 10581.90. Flat until August 30 (not 9/11). Then after 9/11 things go down further to 8,000 and change. Recovery into December 2001. Market remains flat until 2002 when it goes down again into the 8000s. After 20 September 2002, it slips into the 7000s and claws its way back through 2003. By end of year it's back to January 2001 levels. It stays flat into 2006 when it finally breaks into the 11000s. Hits the 12000s late that year. Clears 13000 in mid 2007, then starts getting soft in early 2008. Back into the 10000s by September 2008, down into the 7000s in October when the sell off happens.

In the realm of Obamarama, we hit 6595 in March 2009, enough to test anyone's nerves. This leads to the slow claw back … By October 2009, the market is back to the 10000s. 11,000 by April 2010. Back and forth, back and forth into February 2011 when we clear 2011. 13000 is a year later (2012), 14000 a year after that (2013). 2013 also sees 15000 and 16000. 17000 by spring of 2014 and 18000 by the end of that year. 2015 is flat. 2016 brings us back to growth, 18000 by September and 19000 in December.

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 03:53PM Reply Quote
Boz went to Uber. Man, that's a scary move for her.

dharlow – June 06, 2017 04:44PM Reply Quote
She will be out of there pretty quick. That place is toxic right now.

ddt – June 06, 2017 10:27PM Reply Quote
Jesus. She must have just gotten in a car, thinking it was taking her to the airport, and wham, they kidnap her. I mean, if you want to take on a hella challenge, one nobody would fault you for if you didn't win, that'd be it. But you might as well sign on with The Joker -- no matter what argument you make, people can always just stop and say, "sure, yeah, but it's still UBER".

ddt

dharlow – June 07, 2017 03:48PM Reply Quote
I am sure things like this https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/07/uber-fires-executive-who-obtained-medical-records/ are going to make her think omg what did I do.

Wobs – July 10, 2017 12:12AM Reply Quote
Were you in a US Treasury Bond Fund?
Or were you investing in the bonds themselves?

Anyway, as soon as the Fed started raising rates,
you could have bought puts on your holdings &
that way your principal would remain intact & you
would have been able to pocket gains.
'
Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

It's something that you can repeat. I know I haven't
posted on RFI?AAPL.O Recon in forever, But maybe I
should.

]Yet with everyone focused on Indexes ETF's, etc.
Those "dumb" (meaning Buy/forget investments with Zero
investor input like voting privileges, etc.) investing choices,
I would have figured they wouldn't be interested in anything I
would have to say. And DON'T get me started on AAPL.O!!!

Wobs – July 10, 2017 02:02AM Reply Quote
bahamut
Obama economy was great for stocks, no question.

Baha; You forget the Bear Market that ended the initial Dot Com Boom which left a lot of floatsam and jetsam whose detritus was floating around and hitting a lot of other stocks after that period. And remember who gave you all enough warning to not only save what you had, but to also profit extremely handsomely from it. And weren't you also warned about the developing housing crisis even as it was building? Sounded the clarion call about the looming housing crisis as soon as I saw those 125% Mortgage loans, not to mention what were subsequently called "Liar Loans" where incomes weren't verified, etc.? Said it would all end in tears? But No one (most anyways) didn't want to stay away from that heavily spiked punch bowl because they was too much "easy monie$ ("Pigs Get Slaughtered"?) I warned of both of those dangers, Warned of the coming storm over the horizon, it was up to others to decide whether to act: hedging, buying puts, going defensive, etc. And one of the final warning bells occurred in 2007 when foreign buyers stepped back from buying MBS and the like. That was a screaming sell signal,

But it was during that period, and even before, that I had told people to buy AAPL.O and to hold on for dear life, buying the lows with new money, and also cautioning to hedge by buying calls as well as buying puts at the appropriate times. But even if you had just bought it and held on for dear life you would have made out like a bandit prince. Buying calls on the lows only made you more money simply by executing them at expiry or selling them for the cash. Going for the cash was foolish due to stock splits. And you can't blame POTUS43 for the housing crisis, because it was Greenspan who left the taps open way too long and totally "drowned" the gardens (markets).

2001-2008 was an incredible disaster for stocks. January 20, 2001 Dow Jones = 10581.90. Flat until August 30 (not 9/11). Then after 9/11 things go down further to 8,000 and change. Recovery into December 2001. Market remains flat until 2002 when it goes down again into the 8000s. After 20 September 2002, it slips into the 7000s and claws its way back through 2003. By end of year it's back to January 2001 levels. It stays flat into 2006 when it finally breaks into the 11000s. Hits the 12000s late that year. Clears 13000 in mid 2007, then starts getting soft in early 2008. Back into the 10000s by September 2008, down into the 7000s in October when the sell off happens.

See my remarks above. But after '08, the government went on a regulation binge, especially throttling the small and regional banks. which stymied GDP growth in the heartlands even as they were losing manufacturing jobs and opportunities overseas. It was Dodd/Frank, ACA/"ObamaCare," "Waters of America," Regulation/Overregulation, that constrained the real recovery which resulted in the 2010-2014 losses in Congress etc. by the creation of The Finally Had Too Effin' Much Trump Voter. Trump Voters were Created starting in 2008 by the Democrats, especially in Congress as if they knew their time in power was going to be limited. it was a classic case of overreach and the public said "OK, that's enough of this!" If only had Obama reined in his party's far left, then he would've worried about economic growth First & not Dodd-Frank & ObamaCare. He would be remembered like Pres. Clinton. Alas, not. And it and the markets limped along. Markets always look 6 months out.

In the realm of Obamarama, we hit 6595 in March 2009, enough to test anyone's nerves. This leads to the slow claw back … By October 2009, the market is back to the 10000s. 11,000 by April 2010. Back and forth, back and forth into February 2011 when we clear 2011. 13000 is a year later (2012), 14000 a year after that (2013). 2013 also sees 15000 and 16000. 17000 by spring of 2014 and 18000 by the end of that year. 2015 is flat. 2016 brings us back to growth, 18000 by September and 19000 in December.

S'kay. But critics of your position (not me) could simply state that Obama was a "Lame Duck" President starting in 2011 and was Re-elected a "Lame Duck" in 2012-2016. With the markets seeing those years as a status quo ante. Where the Republicans would block him, totally forgetting the phone/pen EO nonsense.Sigh. I remember a time when Presidents mostly used EOs as a stop-gap measure (except in cases of National Emergency / Security) until Congress could bring Legislation to the floor, pass it & send it to his desk for his signature. Sigh...

Wobs – July 11, 2017 01:15AM Reply Quote
Oh well. in the future I might post on here if not The Quiet Place. IDK.
Maybe it's time.

AAPL.O is.....

Wobs – July 11, 2017 01:25AM Reply Quote
IDK if my last post made it on, so:

I guess I'll post here or in the Quiet Place. Because I know the faux AppleRecon ghosts this place.
Or maybe its finally time.

AAPL.O is...

Wobs.

bahamut – July 24, 2017 10:46PM Reply Quote
Oh I was saying that the housing market was going to collapse too, there was no question. It was a problem for us since when we could buy a house, we didn't want to. People thought we were nuts, stupid Trump voter father in law too. Then the market collapsed and he pissed his pants about the money he lost (what money? He built in 1993 or so, he never took out equity from the home, he just lost money he never had, who cares). We bought our house in 2011 and it's worth at least 1/3 more here.

El Jeffe – July 25, 2017 07:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Our area has not really had any ups and downs. Houses have been about same cost, plus a bit more for the 25 years we've owned. I'm sure some official/real stats might make me think otherwise. But finger in the wind, meh.
googling...

median sale price $116,000 or so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login