Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

johnny k – July 21, 2016 09:06PM Reply Quote
They didn't buy Nuance. They licensed the tech, to start at least. Expecting someone to buy Nuance is why I bought a bit of their stock.

Wobs – July 22, 2016 03:10AM Reply Quote
Monks. See what's up in the Cone of Silence. I've posted an urgent update for you. Take it as a thanks from me to you.
And I mean Urgent. Trip down memory lane.

Sorry I've been away for so long, but that's for another time. Think of it as the potential reminder of our get together on March 6th. Great times, right?

RKM
Working...

Wobs – July 22, 2016 03:33AM Reply Quote
Funny. I leapt forward ~16 hrs.! ;-)!

tomierna (Admin) – July 22, 2016 11:01AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Thanks for the post, Wobs.

bahamut – July 26, 2016 05:36AM Reply Quote
I wonder about buying DuckDuckGo. It might fit the emphasis on privacy.

John Willoughby – July 26, 2016 10:22AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I don't know. If Apple bought DuckDuckGo, the brain trust there would put in their mandatory year as Apple employees during the transition, then take off and immediately establish a competitor. Acquiring a software/web concern seems to be a difficult task.

porruka (Admin) – July 26, 2016 11:31AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
...Acquiring a software/web concern seems to be a difficult task.

It depends. Interestingly, you don't hear that much about the teams that Apple buys leaving.

Now, the Yahoo model of buying companies to gain talent to work on something they never signed up for is a difficult task. If Apple bought them and opened the treasure chest to work on something anywhere similar to what they're already working on? Or if any company didn't treat the talent they "buy" as interchangeable cogs? The promised "synergies" and "alignments" might actually happen. There will always be those who don't play well with others but really, they're probably at DDG (as an example) right now to accomplish a mission. If the mission doesn't narrow radically or get changed entirely,...

johnny k – July 26, 2016 02:58PM Reply Quote
porruka
It depends. Interestingly, you don't hear that much about the teams that Apple buys leaving.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/10/opinion-viv-siri/

ddt – July 26, 2016 03:48PM Reply Quote
Funny, I always took Facebook as the acquihire model, eating up groups like Pushpin Press (IIRC the name) and Teehan&Lax to put the individuals to work on... I think it was Paper in the first case, who knows what in the second. The Google model seems to be buy companies/products and then neglect them... .

ETA: Yeah, I think Siri integration into Strava's iOS app would be awesome -- though newer Garmin watches and bike computers are doing a lot of what I'd want from that (alerting to upcoming segments, your pace v. set pace goals, etc.).

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 03:58PM by ddt.

James DeBenedetti – July 26, 2016 05:20PM Reply Quote
The Paper that's about to be shut down?

ddt – July 26, 2016 11:30PM Reply Quote
Sorry, it was Push Pop Press. And some people from it were put on Instant Articles, but founder Mike Matas did Paper for Facebook (yes, the one shutting down): http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/ben-gilbert/acquired/e/episode-13-push-pop-press-facebook-instant-articles-with-todd-44717204

Speaking of Apple, as a thought exercise: how could Siri, and what Siri is based on/builds (parsing, task building, anticipating context) be leveraged into AR? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/26/apple-earnings-pokemon-go-augmented-reality-steve-cook

ddt

bahamut – July 27, 2016 05:51PM Reply Quote
Apple reports great results, it goes down. Apple reports shitty results, it goes up. Makes sense.

ddt – July 27, 2016 06:24PM Reply Quote
Well, they beat the guidance. Again, the great quarters didn't meet guidance. So it's all about "how did we analysts do?" not "how did the company do?"

I do want to note that the revenue delta YOY was > Apple's annual revenue total ~15 years ago.

ddt

John Willoughby – August 04, 2016 09:18PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – August 05, 2016 03:52PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – August 07, 2016 05:44AM Reply Quote
If it's anything like Siri, I think we can cancel iJon Connor™

John Willoughby – August 30, 2016 12:06PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – August 30, 2016 01:12PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
When you set up bogus shell companies to cheat on your taxes, you deserve whatever penalties get thrown at you. Regardless of how "legal" you pretend it is, there is absolutely no way to defend it ethically.

John Willoughby – August 30, 2016 04:29PM Reply Quote
Ireland believes it is legal. Seems like they ought to be able to make that call.

ddt – August 30, 2016 05:54PM Reply Quote
It's not "Ireland" - that's something passed by the legislative branch. So that has to face a challenge in the courts, with the added layer of the EU courts. It's like any law/policy that has to pass Constitutional muster in the States, but w/ that added oversight layer.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login