Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – January 01, 2008 03:13AM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

ddt – March 15, 2015 09:55PM Reply Quote
Speaking of, I'm kind of curious about this: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/ars-tests-exonet-the-personal-vpn-that-takes-you-home/

Dunno why I'd really know it, and unless it's literally plug and play I'd probably end up doing something catastrophic, but what do you guys think?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2015 04:54AM Reply Quote
Another step toward a police state...

Dr Matthew Rimmer, an associate professor at the ANU College of Law and one of the bill's critics, labelled the bill "quite radical".

"It's a very dark day for the internet in Australia because there's been bipartisan support for this luddite censorship bill," Dr Rimmer said on Monday night.

He said sites that don't intend to host infringing material could get caught up and blocked, pointing to file-sharing sites like mega.co.nz and dropbox.com.

Dr Rimmer added that there would be little oversight and balance in court cases given internet service providers won't have to pay court costs if they don't join cases to scrutinise them.

A lack of definitions within the bill, as well as several other issues that remained unaddressed, Dr Rimmer said.

"What is 'primary purpose'? There's no definition. What is 'facilitation'? Again, there's no definition" Dr Rimmer said.

"I think the larger question will be what sites will be affected? Will rights holders be focussed on the sites they want to target or will there be collateral damage?"

Referring to collateral damage, Dr Rimmer said thousands of legitimate sites not targeted by the regime could be blocked as internet service providers will likely get to choose how to block websites under the new laws.

Federal government agency ASIC infamously blocked access to about 250,000 innocuous websites when it wanted to block a fradulent website as it provided internet providers with the IP address of the server the fradulent website was hosted on rather than the website's URL address. As the IP address hosted thousands of other sites, they were blocked too and it only became apparent after months of pressure against ASIC before the reason was revealed.

Dr Rimmer also warned of the bill being misued, saying governments (federal or overseas) could use it to censor information provided to sites like WikiLeaks by whistleblowers, as government information is often protected by copyright.

ARL (Moderator) – October 03, 2016 05:11AM Reply Quote
I'm surprised the EU is so silly about something like this...

Followup info: https://postcrimes.org/ and https://www.changecopyright.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 05:12AM by ARL.

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 11:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
While I will gladly hold up the House Science Committee as definitive proof that America has the worst political environment for science in an industrialized nation, I must regretfully concede that the EU's approach to copyright-related issues is worse than America's. It is a sad moment for political head-up-assery in America.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 11:56AM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – November 16, 2016 11:28PM Reply Quote
Well, that mandatory data-retention hasn't stopped any terrorists, but has been highly profitable for overseas hackers.

Yay.

ARL (Moderator) – March 29, 2017 03:24AM Reply Quote
The free-for-all begins...

Net neutrality will be next...

ARL (Moderator) – March 30, 2017 07:04PM Reply Quote
Tempting idea...

I give it a week until there's special exemptions for "key govt officials"...

Cloudscout – March 30, 2017 08:02PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
The ISPs will allow you to opt-out for an additional fee. Probably $5 to $10 per month. I'm pretty sure all of these politicians will pay the opt-out charge.

John Willoughby – April 14, 2017 04:34PM Reply Quote
"Nobody's got to use the Internet."

This is what we get for living under a gerontocracy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 04:35PM by John Willoughby.

ddt – April 14, 2017 06:15PM Reply Quote
I wonder how all those "Hillary's a weak woman and big daddy Trump rrrrraaaaaghh" Slashdot commenters are doing.

It also sounds like Sensenbrenner thinks "your privacy data was sold" means you get paid for it: "I don't think it's my job to tell you that you cannot get advertising for your information being sold. My job, I think, is to tell you that you have the opportunity to do it, and then you take it upon yourself to make the choice."

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 06:16PM by ddt.

johnny k – April 14, 2017 09:28PM Reply Quote
What's with this "choice" shit as they chop away regulation? Saying it makes it true?

ddt – April 14, 2017 10:16PM Reply Quote
Saying it makes it true?

Sshhhh, that's how the doctrine of tax cuts leading to growth and opportunity has survived despite decades of evidence to the contrary.

ddt

John Willoughby – April 15, 2017 11:04AM Reply Quote
To be fair, tax cuts did lead to enormous growth in the incomes of the people the GOP cares about.

ARL (Moderator) – May 09, 2017 02:51AM Reply Quote
Net Neutrality - the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak&feature=youtu.be

Equal access to online information is once again under serious threat. John Oliver encourages internet commenters to voice their displeasure to the FCC by visiting www.gofccyourself.com and clicking "express" to file your comment.

John Willoughby – May 09, 2017 11:33AM Reply Quote
No way net neutrality is coming back. Government has clearly made the point that it sees its purpose as facilitating big business in all ways. If they are willing to strip health care benefits from many of their core voters to make millionaires happier, there is no way that they will screw over ISP's in the name of internet freedom and privacy.

johnny k – May 09, 2017 01:40PM Reply Quote
I imagine he's like Superman, except he puts on his glasses when he springs into action to give him intellectual superpowers.

ddt – May 09, 2017 02:52PM Reply Quote
We are so fucked.

ddt

johnny k – May 09, 2017 04:25PM Reply Quote
Being in Texas, with our own grid, I think I'm actually safer from him now.

ARL (Moderator) – May 31, 2017 03:41AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login