Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – January 01, 2008 03:13AM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

John Willoughby – February 14, 2019 07:14PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ARL (Moderator) – February 16, 2019 02:35AM Reply Quote
That’s a shame . Until recently the EU has been pretty good at getting the balance right with this sort of stuff but these copyright rules are just crazy

tliet – February 16, 2019 03:33AM Reply Quote
Well, we'll see how this plays out, I agree it's totally weird and will probably be tested in court. On the other hand, it's commendable that the EU is trying to break some of the de-facto monopolies that the internet has become. It's just too bad that it doesn't seem to be working without breaking the web.

ARL (Moderator) – February 16, 2019 07:34PM Reply Quote
They could have been more specific/targeted about the "link tax" - I don't know, some fair use provisions or anti-trust type provisions?

tliet – February 17, 2019 12:10PM Reply Quote
Yeah, could also be that the final boundaries will be set by courts in trials.

ddt – February 18, 2019 01:43PM Reply Quote
Been reading bits of this report about Facebook and though we kind of knew all this, it's amazing to see the British Commons drag the company, in their understated way: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/18/facebook-fake-news-investigation-report-regulation-privacy-law-dcms

ddt

John Willoughby – March 26, 2019 10:26AM Reply Quote
Well, the EU has gone ahead and and passed their really, really bad internet copyright law. There is some fear that they will try to extend it to other countries through trade negotiations, and some fear that some US presidential candidates would support it.

John Willoughby – March 26, 2019 10:28AM Reply Quote
Silver lining for the UK, I guess, in that with Brexit they will not need to implement these policies.

tliet – March 26, 2019 05:37PM Reply Quote
I think that the intention is correct, smaller content owners should be protected better from juggernauts like FB and Google. It remains to be seen how this will play out, here's an article in the Dutch paper about the new law: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrc.nl%2Fnieuws%2F2019%2F03%2F26%2Feuropees-parlement-stemt-in-met-nieuwe-regels-auteursrecht-a3954597

John Willoughby – March 26, 2019 06:17PM Reply Quote
Imagine trying to start a new video sharing service and being told that you have to filter every file that users provide for any copyrighted audio or video. What does that do to your startup costs?

This is a YouTube protection bill, amongst other things.

ARL (Moderator) – March 26, 2019 07:09PM Reply Quote
Stupid EU, normally they "get it" better than most governments, but this time they really screwed up.

johnny k – April 10, 2019 06:56AM Reply Quote
Math makes sense when you consider that a pixel is worth $1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login