Spork Boards

Loonie Legislators and that Wacky Webernet Thingo

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – January 01, 2008 03:13AM Reply Quote
The topic that just keeps on giving.

ARL (Moderator) – March 12, 2010 11:04PM Reply Quote
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/pink-floyd-beats-emi-in-itunes-case-20100312-q326.html

I guess I don't have a problem with individual artists in certain circumstances insisting on keeping whole albums together (it's hard to imagine listening to "the wall" any other way) but I do have a problem with record companies trying to mandate it.

tliet – March 13, 2010 07:11AM Reply Quote
Well, not so much webernet, but loonie legislators in Texas are now getting downright threatening to the the educational system of the US. As I've understood it, what's being taught in Texas usually spreads around the US for commercial reasons? Books etc?

Anyway, apparently the Texas State Board of Education has just removed Thomas Jefferson and the Enlightenment from the official curriculum.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2010/03/texas_boe_removes_jefferson_fr.php

Does anybody on federal level have the powers to stop these neo-cons from destroying the very fabric of our society? Reason and knowledge. They are trying quite literally to bring Texas back to the dark ages, where religion and fear ruled the people.

tomierna (Admin) – March 13, 2010 07:25AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
There's a good discussion about this on Metafilter, and a couple of people associated with textbook publishing pretty thoroughly debunk that Texas still sets the book standard because they are the largest buyer. Technology has (within the last 5 years) allowed each state's standards to be met with each edition. Not that I think what Texas is at all sane, but the textbook thing isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

El Jeffe – March 13, 2010 08:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I listened to my first No Agenda podcast last night. Well, part of it. Kept falling asleep during it.
Some guys have been telling me for months to check it out. I never remember to.

http://www.noagendashow.com/

Show 181

Plenty of Netherlands/Duch/Holland talk about some guy running over there. geert wilders.

Now, John Dvorak is on other shows and is a cranky old guy. But, I remember Curry (maybe) from MTV, a bit.

John Willoughby – March 13, 2010 03:50PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
>I guess I don't have a problem with individual artists in certain circumstances insisting on keeping whole albums together

So, do radio stations have to play entire Pink Floyd albums, or is the group's "artistic integrity" not compromised by single tracks on the air? Why?

tliet – March 13, 2010 04:24PM Reply Quote
I'll have a listen to it Bill, Adam Curry is a well known figure over here. And Geert Wilders is bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Too bad he seems to have at the very least 10-15% of the votes.

El Jeffe – March 13, 2010 08:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
From my brief exposure to the No Agenda thing, it's like conspiracy/gripey stories without the UFO agenda. But, that's a sample of ONE episode across very many.
I'll listen for a while and see if it's worth a listen/laugh.
But they were pretty against the influx and domination of Islam in or on the Netherlands. I did skip through some of this, it dragged on a bit.

ARL (Moderator) – March 13, 2010 08:55PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
>I guess I don't have a problem with individual artists in certain circumstances insisting on keeping whole albums together

So, do radio stations have to play entire Pink Floyd albums, or is the group's "artistic integrity" not compromised by single tracks on the air? Why?

Good point. I guess I was just saying I'd want the whole album (in that instance) but it still is a bit arrogant when artists insist on it.

The iTunes store is nearly 25% of all legal music sales now. Apple should just not sell their albums and see how they like living on ever dwindling royalties from physical media sales. Interested to note AC/DC also wont sell through iTunes.

John Willoughby – March 13, 2010 09:34PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I just find it kind of funny that the integrity of the album only kicks in when it affects profits.

tliet – March 23, 2010 11:37AM Reply Quote
Yeh, it'll never hold. The nutters can start their own internet can't they? One DNS record; 127.0.0.1; localhost.

tliet – March 24, 2010 02:20AM Reply Quote
DPBD

This is what you can expect once you start filtering content;

A BRAZILIAN court today fined US internet giant Google for not blocking pages of dirty jokes on its social networking site Orkut.

The court in the northern state of Rondonia ordered Google to pay $US2700 for each day that the pages remained up, and told it to stop similar material being posted.

It rejected Google's argument that the company did not have the technical means or employees needed to police Orkut, a Facebook-like community that has its biggest following in Brazil.

The court noted that Google already implemented such curbs on its pages in China - but did not address the major Google-China dispute over censorship that saw the US company direct Chinese users of its search engine to its freer Hong Kong service.

According to the Brazilian judge, the Google lawsuit stemmed from two teenagers who said they were offended by the material on the Orkut pages.

ARL (Moderator) – March 24, 2010 03:58AM Reply Quote
In that case I've been "deeply offended" by a great many websites - when do I get my cheque?

Cloudscout – March 24, 2010 10:48AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm deeply offended by the court's ruling. Can I make them pay me $2700 per day until they rescind the decision?

ARL (Moderator) – March 31, 2010 07:46PM Reply Quote
This is not a scientific poll of the wider community but 96 percent of online smh readers oppose douchebag Conroy's censorship wall...

(sample size 45,000)

ARL (Moderator) – March 31, 2010 10:56PM Reply Quote
At least in this interview he doesn't call it a "series of tubes" but boy he goes close...

tliet – April 09, 2010 08:53AM Reply Quote
This is what you get once you start moderating; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/user_comments_ruling/

The court then decides that you are liable for anything that goes through your site.

tliet – April 09, 2010 09:16AM Reply Quote
DPBD

The gift that keeps on giving; the Digital Economy Bill in the UK is a perfect example of how business is corrupting politics beyond recognisition. This chap is having some thoughts on how things are going to look once the realisation kicks in that global oil production is not going to satisfy the world's demand in a few years time.

http://www.adoptioncurve.net/archives/2010/04/the-debill-and-why-were-really-screwed.php

El Jeffe – April 09, 2010 05:02PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I don't see any worry about oil demand. It will rise to a price where substitutes will make economic sense, and the 'last barrel' will never be taken out of the ground.

ddt – April 09, 2010 05:03PM Reply Quote
interesting link about commenting, ton -- i'm actually researching this for a big-ass paper (more on the sociological forces such as identity, prestige, etc. that might shape behaviors, or "behaviours" in that case). note this, too: http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/cuyahoga_county_judge_shirley.html

far as I can tell, no good answer to some big questions.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login