Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

Jeff Cooper – March 07, 2012 07:55PM Reply Quote
Speaking of "dangerous," Noah's working on his Whittling Chip in Cub Scouts. Look out! Kid's got a knife.

ARL (Moderator) – March 07, 2012 09:09PM Reply Quote
Every few weeks or so I get a phone call from my daughter out of the blue. When she's here visiting me, I can understand most of what she's saying. On the phone, whole sentences elude me.

Last call, it took me a good minute to realise she was holding a teddy bear to the phone that she wanted me to say hi to (how the hell are you meant to figure that out?). The call before that, I was asking questions only to get silence. Apparently she was nodding in reply.

Anyone else had these dramas trying to converse with a three-year-old by phone? I feel really bad that I understand so little - but I dunno if there's anything I can really do about it...

John Willoughby – March 07, 2012 10:57PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Facetime? It is hard to talk to kids on the phone, because they want to participate and don't want to give the phone up, but become inexplicably shy and reticent when it actually comes to speaking.

ARL (Moderator) – March 08, 2012 03:35AM Reply Quote
Could try Skype. The ex doesn't have a mac (as far as I know, mind you she did want me to buy or give her one...).

Visual combined with audio cues may help.

El Jeffe – March 08, 2012 05:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jeff Cooper
Speaking of "dangerous," Noah's working on his Whittling Chip in Cub Scouts. Look out! Kid's got a knife.

My scout son has a ton. Best place to visit is Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Or, they have a site, too http://www.smkw.com
Imagine a LOT of knives. Then double that. Then quadruple that. Walk into the store and you did not even come close. I have one I purchased there in my pocket right now.
Hey, I have a Gerber Hinderer CLS from the scout store downtown still in package in front of me, too. http://tinyurl.com/85n42hn

Good luck

John Willoughby – March 08, 2012 12:05PM Reply Quote
When I was a cub scout, my parents bought me a cub scout folding knife. I cut myself badly on the way home from the store. I was just that talented.

Jeff Cooper – March 08, 2012 12:20PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Jeff Cooper

My scout son has a ton. Best place to visit is Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Or, they have a site, too http://www.smkw.com
Imagine a LOT of knives. Then double that. Then quadruple that. Walk into the store and you did not even come close. I have one I purchased there in my pocket right now.
Hey, I have a Gerber Hinderer CLS from the scout store downtown still in package in front of me, too. http://tinyurl.com/85n42hn

Good luck

Whoa! That's pretty overwhelming. I took the easy route--I just went to the Scout shop on Fall Creek Road.

Tonight's the big test--a room full of ten-year-olds with knives. Of course, when I was ten, I was at sleepaway camp, and so it was a tentline full of 10-year-olds with knives, many of them playing knife games (mumblety peg). I take it such things aren't done anymore.

ARL (Moderator) – April 23, 2012 07:22PM Reply Quote
Anyone got good iPad apps/games/edutainment suggestions (for a three y.o.) for the iPad?

Entertaining while educational would be ideal...

John Willoughby – April 23, 2012 09:27PM Reply Quote
PopOut! The Tale of Peter Rabbit app is great for small kids. It's a classic Peter Rabbit story, with old fashioned art. You can read it to them (or I think it can read itself), but each page has interactive elements for a kid to play with. Turn the iPad to watch blackberries fall, tap them to squish them, all sorts of random stuff. But it's small stuff, tastefully done, not flashy in-your-face things that detract from the story. My daughter was 7 when she saw it, so she tired of it soon, but it kept her fascinated for a couple of days. It was also the right reading level for her at the time. For a three-year-old, I imagine that you might have to find some of the secrets for her the first time, but I'll bet she catches on fast.

Look at the images and check the comments to see if it works for you. I just realized that this link won't work for the Australian app store. Search by name to see if it's available there. International publishing agreements may limit distribution of apps like this.

ARL (Moderator) – April 23, 2012 11:37PM Reply Quote
Ah, that's a good idea (as a big kid, I found the Iron Man comic app amusing...)

Will look for similar titles... (Peter Rabbit etc)

John Willoughby – April 24, 2012 12:09AM Reply Quote
The official Cat in the Hat app has been widely praised, too. I thought it was good, but didn't really interest my seven-year-old with the simple, Seussian art.

ARL (Moderator) – April 24, 2012 12:25AM Reply Quote
My daughter is very hit & miss, attention-wise.

When I've gotten her something good, there's times I'm tempted to do the clockwork orange thing to grab her attention...

John Willoughby – April 24, 2012 11:21AM Reply Quote
Yeah, that keeps happening. I can't get my oldest interested in anything that I like, such as history, science, science fiction, politics, etc. She's got a casual interest in music, which my wife is trying to push, art, and writing. The only thing that she wants from me (aside from a cell phone) is for me to help her learn Old Icelandic, of all things. It's odd what kids will take up.

ARL (Moderator) – April 24, 2012 07:16PM Reply Quote
The Toy Story free app is pretty damn cool - after each page of the story is read there's an option where the picture turns into an outline to colour in. Forget the kids, I enjoyed it...

John Willoughby – June 26, 2012 05:03PM Reply Quote
Wisdom from my eight-year-old: "Nobody gives a rat's ass about anything except money and beer."

ARL (Moderator) – June 26, 2012 08:02PM Reply Quote
So, ponies and candy lose their allure by age 8 nowadays?

John Willoughby – June 26, 2012 10:04PM Reply Quote
Well, she and her 13-year-old sister still watch My Little Pony. And, as far is the younger daughter is concerned, candy is never out of vogue. The doctor is worried about both of them; the older one for losing weight too fast, the younger one for gaining it.

Alan Lehman – June 27, 2012 09:56AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Wisdom from my eight-year-old: "Nobody gives a rat's ass about anything except money and beer."

Wow, I'm glad my eight year old hasn't grown up that fast. She still calls beer 'Daddy juice.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 09:56AM by Alan Lehman.

John Willoughby – June 27, 2012 10:18AM Reply Quote
The odd thing is that I don't drink beer, and her Mom doesn't drink more than two or three bottles a month. I think she gets her attitude from Bender on Futurama.

Alan Lehman – June 27, 2012 03:42PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
The odd thing is that I don't drink beer, and her Mom doesn't drink more than two or three bottles a month. I think she gets her attitude from Bender on Futurama.

I bow to your parenting skills! My kid still prefers Barbie movies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login