Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

John Willoughby – February 04, 2011 02:03PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
The worst part of having your first child is that, at absolutely EVERY stage of development, other parents listen to you describe your problems, nod wisely, and say "It gets worse." NEVER has any parent told me that after my child's current stage of development it gets better.

porruka (Admin) – February 04, 2011 02:08PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
"It gets better."

John Willoughby – February 04, 2011 02:20PM Reply Quote
Lies.

porruka (Admin) – February 04, 2011 03:11PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Actually, you're probably right. You have the advance-scout in the group.

Lies!

Dave Loudin – February 04, 2011 03:59PM Reply Quote
Actually, it does get better. (20 year old daughter in college, 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son) The main issue has been (and I'm sure will continue to be) the son's time management.

John Willoughby – February 04, 2011 04:02PM Reply Quote
Like I'm going to live until my daughters are 20! Still, some hope for my wife. (In addition to that my imminent demise offers.)

Ron Burns – February 05, 2011 12:12PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
I'm not going to depress you all by talking about my 40 year old...

Jeff Cooper – February 05, 2011 04:31PM Reply Quote
Samantha at six is vastly better than Samantha at two. Or three. Or four. And somewhat better than five. She is still wild and willful, still prone to ignoring me unless I raise my voice (at which point she behaves as if her world has come to an end), but she no longer throws a massive fit every time she doesn't get exactly what she wants, exactly when she wants it. And she'll actually stay seated at the table during meals (most of the time).

Tony, you've touched on what I've found to be one of the hardest things about being a single dad: the discipline issue. K lets Samantha get away with murder; I don't. It's still very much a work in progress, but Samantha seems at least to understand now that the rules are different in my house. It's terribly hard, because you don't want to be the "mean" parent, and it's definitely easier with a 5 year-old or six-year-old than it would be with a toddler. And I have more time than you do, which probably allows me a better balance of "mean" dad and "fun" dad than is possible in one day per week. But hang in there; there will be payoffs down the road.

ARL (Moderator) – February 05, 2011 06:22PM Reply Quote
Ron Burns
I'm not going to depress you all by talking about my 40 year old...

Well, if your forty-year-old is still not eating their broccoli and has to sit on a naughty stool, that would be depressing :^)
JC
Tony, you've touched on what I've found to be one of the hardest things about being a single dad: the discipline issue. K lets Samantha get away with murder; I don't. It's still very much a work in progress, but Samantha seems at least to understand now that the rules are different in my house. It's terribly hard, because you don't want to be the "mean" parent, and it's definitely easier with a 5 year-old or six-year-old than it would be with a toddler. And I have more time than you do, which probably allows me a better balance of "mean" dad and "fun" dad than is possible in one day per week. But hang in there; there will be payoffs down the road.

And because the role of motherhood is considered sacred in western society, heaven help you if you ever criticise the mother's parenting.

I think I just need to be more consistent and not fall into the trap of giving utter appeasement in return for hopefully some affection.

(After all, that's where I went wrong with my ex...)

Ron Burns – February 05, 2011 07:02PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Hey Tony! Are you psychic or something?

Jeff Cooper – March 19, 2011 09:43PM Reply Quote

(Posted here because Mo Willems is currently my favorite childrens' book author).

ARL (Moderator) – May 18, 2011 07:53PM Reply Quote
Had my daughter over the other day for a visit. At the moment the toilet training is still a bit hit and miss. When she first got here she said "I need to do wees" (her, not me). No problem, set her up on the potty, mission accomplished. A little while later, after a walk by the river, we're back home and my daughter is chasing the dog around on the balcony. I think all the distraction made her forget she needed to go again (probably every 20 minutes we ask her if she needs to go) and there was an accident on the balcony.

No problems, we help her out of her pants and then realise that as well as a number 1, it's a massive steaming number 2 (my God - I think my daughter is certainly getting her fibre). We start cleaning that up and then realise the best thing is to just take her for a quick shower to clean her up. That mission accomplished, we return back to the balcony to clean up the dump left on the balcony.

It's no longer there...

The dog has eaten it.

Dogs are truly disgusting animals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 07:54PM by Tony Leggett.

Alan Lehman – May 19, 2011 12:51AM Reply Quote
And now your daughter and the dog are both getting their fiber. And you didn't have to clean it up. Sounds like a win win all around.

ARL (Moderator) – May 19, 2011 02:46AM Reply Quote
Well, that's certainly one way to put a positive spin on it...

Cloudscout – May 22, 2011 07:47AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I don't think a child should be taught French at any age. This includes French children.

johnny k – May 22, 2011 10:44AM Reply Quote
Depends on the nature of the lessons, but sure, you learn a language much more easily at that age informally. It's more absorbing from hearing people speak it a lot. Do your ex one better, and hire a French maid.

tliet – May 22, 2011 11:10AM Reply Quote
Excellent idea Johnny!

But yeah, generally speaking children have no issues learning 2 languages at the same time. I've read research that it may help them at a later stage to learn easier.

John Willoughby – May 22, 2011 01:17PM Reply Quote
My nieces are learning Mandarin and English from birth. Their mom is ethnic Chinese, their maternal grandparents are native speakers, and they try to keep Mandarin-speaking nannies. So far, the kids to be doing well with it.

ARL (Moderator) – May 22, 2011 07:35PM Reply Quote
I can understand the bilingual thing if one or both parents are bilingual (or the extended family is) - that makes sense and the child in question gets plenty of practice. Neither myself or my ex or any close relatives speak french.

I guess as long as the lessons don't confuse her I don't have a problem...

Cloudscout – May 22, 2011 08:56PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
In all seriousness, this is the best time to start learning additional languages. I don't personally believe that French is a valuable choice these days, though. Mandarin or Hindi would be far more useful from both practical and cognitive standpoints.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login