Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

bahamut – May 13, 2018 10:01PM Reply Quote
Thanks guys,

Well we had a conversation with her. It was kind of nice that she knew she couldn’t say anything or we would come down hard. Listening wasn’t comfortable but she listened. Baby steps, I guess, or teenage ones.

johnny k – May 14, 2018 12:15AM Reply Quote
That's good. Sounds like you've planted some idea of consequences in her. I have to remember to be spare with my Angry God voice so that it still works in those teenage years.

bahamut – May 20, 2018 09:05PM Reply Quote
Eldest daughter was having a facetime conversation with friend in car today while I was at a store. She continued conversation during which I heard her disuading said friend from riding bicycle inside her house (e.g. destroying everything). She surprised me with her voice of authority (You should NOT do that. / You disappoint me). I worry less now.

El Jeffe – May 22, 2018 04:05PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I actually caught myself starting a FaceTime call while driving before even THINKING "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!?" ... it was a strange feeling.

John Willoughby – May 29, 2018 11:16AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I... made the mistake of getting Mario Kart 8 on the Switch for my kids. I may never be able to watch TV on my family room set again. They've never taken to Nintendo-style games before, but this one got its hooks into them fast and deep. It leaves me utterly unmoved.

(Yes, they could play on the Switch screen, but they want to race each other and the TV is better for that.)

El Jeffe – May 29, 2018 05:09PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
As an aside, I can't believe Frys has 65" 4k screens for $399.

bahamut – May 30, 2018 10:24PM Reply Quote
The boy (12!) took the train into the city today (with transfer to subway, then return via the bus because he missed the last train) in order to meet and have books signed by Bryan Lee O'Malley (World ns Scott Pilgrim). He survived. A big day in this household.

I used to ride my bike five miles from the near north side to the loop in chicago and back during 1979 (was 11) so this isn't a big deal in my book, but still a milestone.

El Jeffe – May 31, 2018 05:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
cool.

YDD – June 24, 2018 06:14PM Reply Quote
A certain small person of my acquaintance just discovered that shower curtain rods aren't quite built to the same specification as the monkey bars at the playground.

ARL (Moderator) – June 24, 2018 08:28PM Reply Quote
It happens to the best of us...

El Jeffe – June 25, 2018 04:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ouch

bahamut – August 12, 2018 11:26PM Reply Quote
The wife just informed me that the boy is here all week. Ok... now you tell me? My concern is his addiction to games and YouTube. I had an addiction but it involved wandering in the woods and programming as well. And I wish my parents had let me read comics but since they didn’t I had to settle for books, which sometimes meant sci fi and sometimes meant Solzhenitsyn or Dostoyevsky.

Any thoughts on how to push him that little bit extra? I’d like to take him to a comic book store and say ok dude, buy whatever, but he’ll barely even read those prior to heading back online... arg...

John Willoughby – August 13, 2018 10:05AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
That's hard. Maybe books about his interests? Does he have any interest in making/streaming videos? He might be interested in approachable books about video production. Maybe books about the gaming industry (not programming, higher level stuff)?

I'm embroiled in a similar struggle, with little success as yet.

bahamut – August 13, 2018 09:44PM Reply Quote
He went through the making and streaming video phase years ago. Wish I could get him to program not just consume...

El Jeffe – August 14, 2018 05:50PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
best of luck. On the opposite side, my son's new girlfriend told me she's spent her last week coding python. not getting paid, no class... just coding python.
I pulled out my 1982 HP-41C ... said I spent summer coding that puppy! :) Yes, I still have my pristine 1982 HP 41.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login