Spork Boards

small, furry, loud, dangerous

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – November 15, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
a thread about our spawn.

bahamut – October 15, 2009 10:59PM Reply Quote
The local mall opened a Lego Store. Go figure, how hard was that to do? Sort of like the Apple Store, minus the crowd of people with broken items? It's awesome. Really awesome. I loved it. My kids loved it. If you and they are into Legos, you will love. Bins of legos! Demos of really cool Lego projects. Lego Advent Calendar!!! Build your own Lego men. Oh it was wonderful. The kids loved it to death and thus, so did I.

Alan Lehman – October 15, 2009 11:57PM Reply Quote
I've been reliving my childhood by buying Lego technic kits. By far the best of the bunch is the Bulldozer. Sadly the Lego store is long since sold out. You'll have to try ebay if you want one. Unlike the other motorized kits*, the Bulldozer actually travels under it's own power and can be used to shove shoes around via a remote after it's built. My daughter has al least four of those full size "fill with your selection" cups. Heck, even my wife has a kit on her wish list.

* yes, many of the other kits are motorized too but having a motorized scoop or a motorized winch isn't the same as being able to chase cats with the end product.

Jeff Cooper – October 18, 2009 10:19AM Reply Quote
bahamut
The local mall opened a Lego Store. Go figure, how hard was that to do? Sort of like the Apple Store, minus the crowd of people with broken items? It's awesome. Really awesome. I loved it. My kids loved it. If you and they are into Legos, you will love. Bins of legos! Demos of really cool Lego projects. Lego Advent Calendar!!! Build your own Lego men. Oh it was wonderful. The kids loved it to death and thus, so did I.

Oh man, we need one of those. Once again, stores in Illinois and Ohio, but Indiana gets skipped over.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – October 18, 2009 01:11PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
We got on of those at the Mall of America.

El Jeffe – October 20, 2009 06:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jeff Cooper
bahamut

Oh man, we need one of those. Once again, stores in Illinois and Ohio, but Indiana gets skipped over.

Entrepreneurs would see that as an opportunity, JCoop. ;)

ARL (Moderator) – January 28, 2010 07:11PM Reply Quote
Keira, god bless her cotton socks, has developed a charming habit of doing prolonged, loud, extremely high-pitched squeals, shrieks and grizzles. For hours at a time... She starts the day doing it and ends the day doing it.

This can be despite our best efforts to appease/distract/entertain her. Once in a blue moon she will sit down and play with her toys etc and amuse herself for hours at a time - so I know she is capable of doing her own thing when she wants to. She just doesn't very often - she prefers to scream.

I used to joke that Keira "gollum-crawled" (scooted on her bum) but I think she's now in hard core training to become a nazgul (it's that bad).

I'm going insane. When does this stop?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 07:40PM by Tony Leggett.

ARL (Moderator) – January 28, 2010 07:39PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

On another topic - what are other sporkers thoughts on the etiquette of taking small children to the cinema. When Keira was younger we could sometimes get away with it if we timed it right so she just "slept on the boob" for most of the movie (and took her out if she got really noisy). Now that she's able to move around herself she walks/crawls up and down the aisles, in between other seats, makes lots of noise and generally makes a nuisance of herself. After the last episode where she quite clearly pissed a few people off I've sworn I'm not going to the movies unless it's a "babes in arms" session (and no, I don't mean starlets Remy). Nobody came up and said something, but there were a few dirty looks and I certainly wished the ground would swallow me up.

My partner OTOH doesn't think there's any problem with this, and that it's her "right" to go and watch whatever she likes with Keira and if other moviegoers are bothered by it, well that's their problem.

Personally, I remember back to the days before children and I know I'd be annoyed with something like that. Hell, I used to get annoyed when someone answered their phone and kept talking in the cinema. Unless it's a "babes in arms" session I just think it's being terribly inconsiderate...

Thoughts?

El Jeffe – January 28, 2010 07:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
we would not take kids to the theater. We would take them when young to nice restaurants. They did great. Prolly better than they would now as teens. :)

John Willoughby – January 28, 2010 08:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
>When does this stop?

I'll let you know when mine do.

Seriously, it depends on the child. Our first is/was a momma's girl, and shrieked and cried endlessly when her mom wasn't holding her. She would play on her own, but rarely. She is still somewhat needy, and while she can read on her own for hours, she can't really play by herself. Our second child is very independent, and was very empathic as a toddler. Much easier early on. She has since grown out of her empathy, but still plays on her own much of the time. She prefers playing with her sister, but doesn't need to.

We don't take children under six or seven to movies, unless they are blatant kids' movies. Pixar, Chipmunks, that sort of thing. They just can't sit still that long. I used to see movies in theaters almost every week; now I see movies in theaters two or three times a year. In another few years we'll be able to see action/adventure movies as a family. No offense to your partner, but people who take young children to adult movies (i.e. movies that have no interest for children) are EVIL. If I only get three movies a year, I hate to have them ruined by somebody letting the audience collectively baby-sit their child. Especially at today's prices.

I'd like to recommend DVD's. It's hard getting through that first six months, when the big movies are in the theater but you've seen everything available on DVD. After that, you can buy/rent the movies as they come out on Blu-Ray or DVD and you're back to your original rate of movie watching. Of course, you have to listen to everybody talking about how great a movie Inglourius Basterds is for six months before you can see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 08:41PM by John Willoughby.

Noharness – January 28, 2010 09:01PM Reply Quote
See, Tony? There was a reason why your Dad started disliking the cinema. It gets to be a pain.

ARL (Moderator) – January 28, 2010 09:18PM Reply Quote
Oh well, if Peter Jackson ever makes another LOTR movie I can licence the recording rights for my lil' nazgul in training...

And I agree with you 100%, JW. Not just evil, selfish (I refuse to go to movies with Keira now).

Oh, and don't get me started on restuarants Bill. Lunch is doable, dinner is just a nightmare (we end up gobbling down food quickly in a rush to avoid a tantrum and I come home and have a triple whiskey...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 09:30PM by Tony Leggett.

El Jeffe – January 28, 2010 10:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
start HER off with Whisk(e)y. Might change things up.

ARL (Moderator) – January 28, 2010 10:02PM Reply Quote
I've thought about it, believe me.

El Jeffe – January 28, 2010 10:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
oh, I had a coworker that would let her toddler suck on cloths soaked in whiskey.
mostly for teething time. But I'm sure she let it creep into other times.
Or do what I hear people doing, give them some small Benadryl dose before those times and it makes the drowsy. I've never done that. But again these TEEN YEARS, I think about serving benadryl to their friends when they come over. :)

John Willoughby – January 28, 2010 10:59PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
If you can stand it, family restaurants usually are okay with kids. I have had to take a kid outside if she was just melting down, but that stopped after age three or so. Also, an order of french fries can keep a toddler happy, if unhealthy, for an hour.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 29, 2010 02:37AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Some theaters have special mommy (or daddy) and me showings during the week when they are usually not that busy. You can watch your movie and the people there know there will be kids. In fact, middle of the week first or second showing is usually pretty dead and so if there is trouble, at least she won't be bothering a lot of people.

ARL (Moderator) – January 29, 2010 04:40AM Reply Quote
Age three eh? Only another 21 months to go... Awesome.

El Jeffe – January 29, 2010 07:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
It's a bell curve. YMMV.
Some kids still do that at age 21 YEARS I'm sure.

Jeff Cooper – January 29, 2010 08:17AM Reply Quote
I'm sorry you're having to go through this, Tony. It does get better, but it may take some time--my daughter was prone to throwing herself on the ground and having massive screaming fits on a regular basis until the last six months or so (she's five now).

FWIW, I'm in the no-kids-in-movie-theaters camp. Like JW, I get to movie theaters maybe three times a years. If I want to watch a movie in the presence of screaming kids, I can stay home.

El Jeffe – January 29, 2010 08:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hollywood Bar closed. too bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login