Spork Boards

Chip Chat

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:35AM Reply Quote
What processors should MacOSX run on NeXT?

stan adams – January 08, 2008 01:32PM Reply Quote
Given the chatter about Menlow/Silverthorne I thought this might a helpful little link:
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3103

I tend to agree with the posts in that forum -- Apple has no reason to switch iPhone off its ARM platform, but if future development needs shift then the Intel chipset could be tantalizing. Don't really see Apple jumping into a "general purpose" UMPC space either -- has less to do with technology than with "style". I mean seriously, when one encounters someone pecking at a device that is small enough to stick in a coat pocket it is NOT a pretty sight.

Something I just noticed: If I take my Mead Composition Journal and turn it sideways its 9.75" x 7.5" cover just perfectly blots out the visible portion of the 12.1" LCD in my crap Compaq nc4200. No bezel at all, so there is no way that Apple would put such a beast into production. The journal is about 15 mm thick, unsquahed, the diameter of standard US dime is about 18 -- the travel on my keyboard is about 3mm. While I could envision comfortably typing on such a subnotebook, it : A -- has 1024 X768 screen, B -- would still not be pocketable...

ghidorah – April 11, 2008 06:43PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Nehalem rises!

8 cores?
video processing on chip?
micro-code assembly?

will this be a treasure trove or a white whale?

SoupIsGood Food – April 11, 2008 11:56PM Reply Quote
White whale. Nobody has the tech to make consumer apps work with multi-processors - multi-threading is inadequate and difficult to program, and functional programming languages are for comp-sci gweeps, viciously, vindictively programmer-hostile: LISP on PCP and bad gin.

Scientific computing is different, as the old war-horses make do with what they have to get the results they need, but outside of the academic environment , the nine-to-five crowd can't cope with the tools they're given, and the self-taught wünderkind can't get a handle on what needs to be done, as the tools they've been given to use are shit.

It's going to take a new paradigm, and maybe not even a new programming language so much as new programming tools. A hypervisor that works hand-in-glove with a compiler to present itself as a simpler computer to programmers, or a VM for a high level language like Python or Ruby that is MPP aware from the get-go, and handles it so the programmers don't have to sweat it. Or maybe none of the above, and something newer, simpler and more powerful will emerge.

But, for the first time ever, the hardware is more potent than the software, by an order of magnitude. Shit seems so slow, only because nobody knows how to take advantage of it... if there was someone out there who could write an app designed from the get-go to be multi-core, that would be awesome. The problem is, nobody knows how to take advantage of all that theoretical power and transform it into a practical computing environment.

~ SZZZOUP!

El Jeffe – April 12, 2008 08:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm a very predatory driver. One thing I've learned is I can't pass them if I'm behind them. But at the same time rule 2 is they can't leave me if I'm behind them. I think Apple needs to stick with Intel because they can't leave 'us' behind if we stick with them.

I think the real question is what can run on Intel, next?

Start engineering the next OS now.

What a journey.

Cloudscout – April 23, 2008 11:28AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

El Jeffe – April 23, 2008 11:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, what became of the other techy-hw company they bought? I can't think of the name. Couple years ago. Graphics related? I'm fuzzy on the details.

SoupIsGood Food – April 24, 2008 09:53PM Reply Quote
St. Stephen with a PowerPC Rose, in and out of the garden he goes, garden washed by the IBM wind and the x86 rain, wherever he goes, the PC pundits all complain.

St. Stephen will remain, all he lost he shall regain!

(With apologies to the Grateful Dead)

Dude, Apple just got its hands on the guys that designed the Alpha, the Ultra II and the Strong-ARM, =and= they've spent the past three years getting very cozy with the PowerPC instruction set. If I were Intel, I'd be worried. Way worried. Almost as worried as a developer who codes only for x86.

~ SZZOUP!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 09:54PM by SoupIsGood Food.

John Willoughby – April 21, 2010 11:25PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Ooooh! Make it so, please. Although I'm sure that regulators would have a problem with it.

John Willoughby – April 21, 2010 11:25PM Reply Quote
Sorry for the thread necromancy. Almost exactly a two year gap in posts.

stan adams – May 24, 2010 12:14PM Reply Quote
Seems pretty cool. I dunno about the "eventually lead to "100 per cent secure communication"." line -- seems to be one of those "random thoughts of day / buzzword complaint funding proposals" more than any inherent breakthrough. Pretty sure the guys from IBM research have been playing with individual atoms for a long time -- http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV1003.html http://singularityhub.com/2009/09/28/ibms-been-playing-with-atoms-for-20-years/

Sorta related (in the crazy mixed place known as my brain) the ideas from Ironmen (and Ironmen 2) about "Arc reactors" and the whole "solutions to the world's problems lie in more energy / synthesizing new material" seems oddly neglected in the current world view of the media and most politicians. I mean it was not that long ago that the search for room temperature super conductors actually seemed pretty active. Similarly the efforts spent on the fusion reactors seem to be completely off the radar of anyone -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

Really kinda odd, as true plasma energy sources really would be far more revolutionary than anything else in any other field of materials research...

John Willoughby – May 24, 2010 01:52PM Reply Quote
Quantum encryption has been around for a while. But this may make it more feasible to implement.

stan adams – May 24, 2010 02:48PM Reply Quote
Meh, nothing is ever secure that has to be shared -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_encryption#Man_in_the_middle_attack

Ron Burns – May 24, 2010 08:19PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
I've always had the vague impression that there's a practical size limit determined by visiting cosmic rays which will take out a one atom component in the twinkling of a photon.. I assume that with sufficient ingenuity self-healing/defensive architectures could be developed, but that does sound a bit fancy and inefficient?

ARL (Moderator) – February 02, 2018 12:05AM Reply Quote
Resurecting a long-dead thread!

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-apple-custom-chips/

Nearly 10 years on, Soup is about to be right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 12:07AM by ARL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login