Spork Boards

Swiffies for...

johnny k – December 27, 2007 02:31PM Reply Quote
Let's balance out every milkshake with a swiffie. Everyone else on the internet only complains.

-

So I bitched about AT&T DSL and it's only fair that I throw them a bone when deserved. In the process of transferring service to my roommate (fairly straightforward), I asked that a 411 charge be removed from my bill because we only have the landline to get DSL, and there's not even a phone hooked up. They credited my account without a question.

btw, why do all these phone trees ask for your account number before they direct you, and then when you're talking to a person, they just ask for it again? I was transferred twice, and I had to give the number 4 times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2007 02:46PM by johnny k.

ddt – May 17, 2010 10:29PM Reply Quote
humanscale.com -- I'd figured my fancy freedome ergonomic chair was past its 5-yr warranty, but the service rep on the phone (I'd called to order replacement parts) talked me into being sent free replacement parts!

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – May 17, 2010 10:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Belkin:

Plugged in a router at my aunt's. It wouldn't turn on. I entered the model and serial number online and they sent me an RMA without asking for any more information.

ARL (Moderator) – July 27, 2010 11:35PM Reply Quote
OMG. Wordpress 3.0 is just so ridiculously easy to setup - I want to slap myself and giggle.

In comparison Movable Type is a lumbering cthulu of complexity...

John Willoughby – July 28, 2010 01:27AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Tony Leggett
In comparison Movable Type is a lumbering cthulu of complexity...

On his blog at rlyeh.com, dead Cthulhu opines dreaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 01:27AM by John Willoughby.

tomierna (Admin) – February 09, 2011 12:09AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Swiffies for Apple.

I Dropped my iPhone the other day, and shattered the front glass.

Called the closest Apple Store and got a Genius appointment that day.

They did a one-time replacement for me, free of charge.

John Willoughby – February 09, 2011 02:00AM Reply Quote
Nice!

El Jeffe – February 09, 2011 07:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
and they tried for about an hour to convince me to pay a restocking fee for an iPod Nano I had for less about 18 hours.

Bruce Robertson – February 09, 2011 03:45PM Reply Quote
So?

John Willoughby – February 09, 2011 05:16PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
and they tried for about an hour to convince me to pay a restocking fee for an iPod Nano I had for less about 18 hours.

You should never take the stockings of an iPod Nano. That's a Nano NoNo. They have every right to charge you to get those tiny fishnet stockings back on.

El Jeffe – February 09, 2011 06:04PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am surprisingly aroused by your salacious musings.

John Willoughby – February 09, 2011 06:08PM Reply Quote
Some of us are not surprised.

Cloudscout – March 19, 2011 03:34AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Data Rescue 3 was able to recover pretty much everything from my sister's hard drive.

It took 37 hours to complete and there ended up being a total of 348MB that it was not able to recovery from the 80GB drive.

It looks like all of her pictures and stuff are in tact. She had 28GB of photos and 18GB of music and it was able to recover all of it.

I haven't told her yet but she's going to be really happy about this.

El Jeffe – March 19, 2011 07:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks for the info/update.

John Willoughby – March 19, 2011 02:18PM Reply Quote
That actually makes me feel almost as good as if it was my data that was saved. I don't know why, other than I fear that situation dreadfully.

Cloudscout – March 19, 2011 02:39PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I was a little cruel when I called her this morning to deliver the news. I had told her before that there were only two options left to recover her data. There was this software and if that didn't work, it would have to go in for professional data recovery which would cost a fortune.

When she answered the phone this morning, I said, "Well, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I got that software that I needed to try and recover the data from your hard drive..."

At this point, you could hear her heart sink. Then I continued, "the ba... wait, did I say good news and bad news? I meant good news and more good news. I was able to recover your pictures and music."

She was, needless to say, elated.

ddt – March 19, 2011 03:15PM Reply Quote
Swiffy to how easy it is to print through AirPort Express.

No such good things to Apple's Help docs in either the Print&Fax in System Preferences or the AirPort Setup. When you search "printer" or any variant of such, all you get is "once the AirPort Express is connected, if you are unable to print, disconnect and print a test page" (the latter) or "you should be able to add your printer". No mention of how to set things up to get to that point, or reference to each other. What you have to do, of course, is disconnect from your existing wireless network and connect to the AE -- that could be scary and seem "that can't be right" to the unexperienced user.

ddt

tliet – March 20, 2011 02:40AM Reply Quote
DropBox

This I consider file serving for the 21st century and done right. One could argue that it's not safe storing stuff in the cloud, but I feel a lot safer knowing that my data is stored on a number of computers automatically. Plus, you can't beat the price; 2 Gb for free and more if you convince your buddies to sign up as well.

I'm currently managing a project which goal it is to move web servers from one country to another and it's great to be able to share documents via DropBox. Everybody is always up-to-date with documentation and it's so satisfying to see someone in Germany saving a document in the shared DropBox which automatically updates on my computer and everyone else's.

Jeff Cooper – March 20, 2011 08:00PM Reply Quote
Definitely a bit cruel, Cloudscout, but I'm glad it ended well (and inexpensively).

tliet – April 05, 2011 03:31PM Reply Quote
Mozilla. For improving Firefox to the point where it's a full competitor again. Firefox 4.0 screams.

Jeff Cooper – April 05, 2011 06:08PM Reply Quote
Agreed. But a small milkshake as well for the way Firefox 4 asks if you want it to remember passwords. It used to present the options as separate buttons; now only the default (always remember for this site) shows; you have to click a small downward arrow for the other options. If you're clumsy or hasty, you can easily select "always remember" when you're trying to get to the option to never remember. (I've done it twice--I'm both clumsy and hasty. And easily distracted.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login