Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:34AM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

johnny k – March 30, 2016 10:38PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I took my cue to leave when I read the reviews of the 950... and still haven't seen Windows 10 come to my phone. Live Photos and iPhoto family sharing are huge for me right now.

El Jeffe – March 31, 2016 08:21PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what you say about Linux on Windows, guys? Crazy world we live in.

Cloudscout – March 31, 2016 09:36PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Still more questions than answers at this point. It's interesting but I'm waiting until this summer when they actually deliver the update to see what the capabilities really are.

John Willoughby – May 25, 2016 10:50AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Looks like MS is getting out of the phone business. I heard good things about their phones (mostly from CS), but I guess that the market is just too mature to profitably squeeze in between iOS and Android. Bad news for Nokia employees (and the rest of Finland, I guess). I have to say, MS seems a lot more nimble on its feet these days, and willing to make hard decisions. I think that bodes well for them (or, at least, better for them).

Cloudscout – May 25, 2016 11:05AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Unless there's been additional news that I haven't seen yet, you're probably referring to the Feature Phone business that they just sold to FoxConn. That's not related to the smartphone business. They were old-skool phones with regular, physical numeric keypads. I was surprised to learn that business line still existed in their org, actually.

ddt – May 25, 2016 12:04PM Reply Quote
Having worked next door to Nokia HQ in Finland -- that was for a long time a huge (yuuuuuge) market in the developing world. Nokia sold tons of phone to Africa, South and SE Asia, and had at least hundreds of people working full-time on services and marketing for that. Don't make the mistake of thinking smartphones have been the norm for long.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 25, 2016 12:14PM Reply Quote
It was this. Just saw it today. I did see the FoxConn sale a few days ago.

Microsoft has laid off hundreds of employees tied to its smartphone business, as the company finally exits the consumer phone market and attempts to streamline its worldwide mobile division (via The Verge).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 12:14PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – May 25, 2016 05:33PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
are we sad?
Would anyone have been sad if Apple had not turned it around?

John Willoughby – May 25, 2016 05:42PM Reply Quote
I never like to hear about people losing their jobs. (Or their Jobs.) From what little I know, MS's phone OS was innovative and well thought-out. We could use more competitors like that. Blackberry, on the other hand...

El Jeffe – May 25, 2016 05:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yeah, agreed. But if I were to pick/choose an outcome, I'd have chosen Apple to RULE! :)

ARL (Moderator) – May 25, 2016 08:03PM Reply Quote
My mother got some cheap phone running MS mobile (what is the MS phone OS called btw?).

Maybe it was just the cut-rate phone but I was unimpressed.

johnny k – May 25, 2016 11:20PM Reply Quote
Shame. At least I got the Microsoft keyboard on my iPhone. And Siri is not a bad substitution for Cortana.
I don't know why the hell they pretended that Windows Phone was a going concern, though. It was clear that they were out of bullets when Microsoft bought the business and failed to release a hero phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 11:21PM by johnny k.

ddt – June 13, 2016 11:53AM Reply Quote
Well, this is... huh. It's a thing that happened?

Microsoft buys LinkedIn for $26B in Cash.

ddt

Dr Phred (Moderator) – June 13, 2016 12:13PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
They actually announced that last week on LinkedIn but no one noticed.

ARL (Moderator) – June 14, 2016 11:09PM Reply Quote
Bizarre choice.

John Willoughby – June 17, 2016 08:31PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – June 17, 2016 09:15PM Reply Quote
Nice.

El Jeffe – June 18, 2016 05:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that's good move

John Willoughby – August 14, 2016 03:49PM Reply Quote
Apparently, even reverting from the MS Anniversary Update to Windows 10 wasn't enough. My streaming's borked again. I think that it re-updated the controller drivers even though I blocked the Anniversaary Update. It's so frustrating... everything was working perfectly and Microsoft blew it up.

planet-of-the-apes.gif

John Willoughby – August 27, 2016 09:42PM Reply Quote
Streaming is (mostly) working again. An update had failed silently on the XBox One. I don't understand the point of silently failing an update, and not scheduling it for a retry. At least a week passed, and if I hadn't been wandering through the chaotic preferences of the console, I never would have seen the failure notice. Once the update succeeded, streaming worked reasonably well again. It still helps if I re-start the XBox One immediately before streaming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login