Spork Boards

That Darn Microsoft!

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:34AM Reply Quote
FUD, fear and loathing, cross-platform livin', sickness unto death, enterprise strategies and tactics.

Cloudscout – January 17, 2016 10:05PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I picked up a Surface Book yesterday. I haven't been this enamored with a laptop since my original 17" PowerBook G4.

Jeff Cooper – January 25, 2016 09:12AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – January 25, 2016 10:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hilarious

John Willoughby – January 25, 2016 05:37PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
A new model of the Surface Book just came out with i7 chips and a discrete GPU. Nice machine, but too pricey for me at around $3K.

Cloudscout – January 25, 2016 08:39PM Reply Quote
They've had an i7 version all along. The big deal about the "new" model is that they now offer a 1TB SSD option.

I have the i5 with 256GB SSD and the discrete GPU.

John Willoughby – January 26, 2016 01:50PM Reply Quote
Oh, wow, the article I read treated both the i7 and the discrete GPU as new features. I should have read more deeply.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2016 07:36PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
At first glance Windows 10 appears to not suck. Pleasantly surprised.

Still don't forgive them for Windows 8 though...

Cloudscout – March 04, 2016 11:38AM Reply Quote
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/4/11160104/tim-sweeney-microsoft-walled-garden-criticism

Before Apple created their iOS walled-garden, Microsoft would never have been allowed to get away with something like this. It is EXACTLY what I have feared from the industry since the app store was first unveiled. We now have The Big Three, Microsoft, Apple and Google. None of which seems particularly interested in creating quality products. Their focus is on finding ways to lock users in.

John Willoughby – March 04, 2016 11:40AM Reply Quote
Well, given the lack of attention that Apple is giving to the Mac App Store, Apple's commitment to Mac lock-in can't be that great.

Cloudscout – March 04, 2016 12:38PM Reply Quote
I think their commitment to Mac itself may not be that great. iOS is clearly their primary focus.

John Willoughby – March 04, 2016 01:19PM Reply Quote
Agreed.

ARL (Moderator) – March 04, 2016 08:29PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Ars Technica has a similar piece:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/tim-sweeney-to-microsoft-universal-windows-platform-can-should-must-and-will-die/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that now mean a Mac is technically more "open" than a PC?

Irony...

Jeff Cooper – March 09, 2016 03:59PM Reply Quote
Because there was a partial failure of the podium electronics in my classroom today (the failure actually occurred yesterday), I had to use the classroom's Windows PC for my Powerpoint presentation. I feel icky. And over the course of 90 minutes, Powerpoint crashed once, and the entire system crashed once (blue screen of death and everything). Ugh.

El Jeffe – March 09, 2016 05:35PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
THIS is what I am paying IUPUI FOR MY SON!!!! THIS!!!!!

Holy begezzzeusss! !!!!

:) :) :)

ddt – March 09, 2016 06:48PM Reply Quote
"In which Jeff Cooper lives out an Apple ad. Sadly, it's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ9DJF1_FrE"

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 09, 2016 07:04PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Better that than Lemmings!

ARL (Moderator) – March 14, 2016 07:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – March 25, 2016 08:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

http://distractify.com/geek/2016/03/24/racist-twitter-ai-robot?utm_content=inf_11_53_2&tse_id=INF_c9e05f1970de400c89effec1f3de2f6f

What was unique about Tay was that she was going to be taught entirely from her interactions with other people on the internet. It was an exercise Microsoft partook in to improve its customer service software as well as a huge PR opportunity.

Turns out that was a big mistake, because in less than a day, the internet turned her into a sex-fiending political conspiracy theorist with a soft spot for Adolf Hitler.

Cloudscout – March 30, 2016 02:43PM Reply Quote
This was unexpected... Windows 10 will support Linux binaries this summer:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/ubuntus-bash-and-linux-command-line-coming-to-windows-10/

Cloudscout – March 30, 2016 04:30PM Reply Quote
Sadly, this wasn't nearly as surprising:

Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year

I've given up hope. I'm switching back to Android.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login