Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 01:49PM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2017 03:00PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I was more worried about usage before you got the set. (Heh, I've not referred to a TV as a "set" in a long time.) I've heard that there are specialty places that refurbish CRT's, but it's ungodly expensive. I think that it may have been in an article linked here, in the context of classic video game boxes becoming unplayable due to irreplacable CRT's.

El Jeffe – April 03, 2017 08:46PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My b& w tube CCTV monitor is going strong at 21 years sitting beside me.

John Willoughby – April 25, 2017 12:06PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – May 06, 2017 10:27PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It's 68k Mac Weekend on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/68kMacWeekend?src=hash

John Willoughby – May 07, 2017 12:09AM Reply Quote
Damn. I guess I could get out the PowerBook 3400c... or the TAM. Wait, the TAM was PPC, I think. Oh, damn, so is the PowerBook. Well, I'm out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 12:10AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – May 07, 2017 11:11AM Reply Quote
Ah, was cleaning out my office anyway. Time to dust off the 512K. All the IIvxes are still in mom's garage.

John Willoughby – May 07, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
I think that I still have my PB100 somewhere... battery's shot, but it would boot on the adapter last time I checked...

Cloudscout – May 15, 2017 11:15PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I added a new component to my vintage AV system tonight. A Nakamichi RX-505. These are famous for their crazy auto-reverse mechanism. If you've never seen one of these before, watch this video to see what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNniwPM_hY

John Willoughby – May 16, 2017 10:20AM Reply Quote
No sleep last night. Came into work today, tried to catch up on Apple news, typed thinksecret.com into my browser. I am more tired than I thought. And possible suffering from temporal displacement.

El Jeffe – May 17, 2017 02:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I loved my Nakamichi.

John Willoughby – May 24, 2017 09:00PM Reply Quote

Jeff Cooper – June 05, 2017 08:38AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Some people will go a long way for a decent Mac word processor. I may be one of them.

Wow. I used WP 3.5e long past its official demise--until around 2004 or so. I may have to give this a look.

ddt – June 05, 2017 09:29AM Reply Quote
Still missing Word 5.1a. Though the different way of doing things in, say, Ulysses (especially the magic of picking up my phone and I can keep working on something), is amazing.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – June 05, 2017 06:54PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
+1 ddt. So simple and fast.

bahamut – June 05, 2017 09:16PM Reply Quote
I don't get why nobody wants to take on word or PowerPoint seriously. Boggles mind.

John Willoughby – June 05, 2017 10:26PM Reply Quote
Word Perfect 3.5 was best, though I am also a real fan of MS Word 4.0. Nissus and Mariner weren't bad, either, and they're still with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 10:26PM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – June 06, 2017 11:57AM Reply Quote
I love Ulysses. What do people want from a Word replacement that it doesn't have - prettification?

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 01:02PM Reply Quote
I didn't even know Ulysses existed. I'll have to look at it.

My daughter's going to college in the fall and hates MS Word and Pages. I'm wondering if I should set her up with another word processor, but it's a pretty heavy Word-Powerpoint environment that she'll go into. I know that most modern word processors export to docx... anybody know if some of them import/export better than others?

Mokers (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 01:16PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
DO you know if the campus is GSuite or Office365? I find that google docs is enough for most people. likewise, the online word editor might be enough as well.

Edit: Also, I think a lot of places take papers, etc, in PDF format. If you can find out what LMS (learning management system) is in place, that might give you some ideas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 01:18PM by Mokers.

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 02:01PM Reply Quote
I was under the strong impression that they were Office, and they let students have it free, but I'm not seeing anything definitive on the web. No idea what LMS.

I shouldn't have turned this into a Sporkers helping Sporkers thread; don't let me derail the discussion of word processors of yore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login