Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

johnny k – August 20, 2016 10:50AM Reply Quote
Dunno, I'd pick http://monster6502.com

ddt – August 20, 2016 11:31AM Reply Quote
Shut up, this is all real: http://www.scifiairshow.com

ddt

John Willoughby – August 20, 2016 06:44PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Damn, recognized the Eagle instantly. Can't remember what my boss said to me yesterday. I have no idea what criteria my brain uses for data retention.

ddt – August 20, 2016 06:48PM Reply Quote
"Don't crash another goddamn Eagle," is I believe what your boss said.

ddt

Roger – September 17, 2016 08:31AM Reply Quote

johnny k – September 18, 2016 04:12AM Reply Quote
Weird, apparently GameCube component cables run for $250+ on eBay due to a proprietary DAC that hasn't been replicated. Glad I won that battle with my wife over throwing out my old GameCube. Spoils of victory.

Cloudscout – September 27, 2016 02:17PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
My retro video game setup includes a Commodore 1702 monitor connected to an 8-port video switchbox. The switchbox does both composite and S-Video and so does the monitor... sort of. The monitor has separate Luma and Chroma inputs. A simple adapter lets you connect S-Video to it.

Anyway, this works great for most of my game consoles... except for the ones that only have RF output. The solution to that was to purchase a Sony TU-1041U tuner. These were traditionally used in the broadcast television industry but the switch to ATSC means these are now obsolete and can be picked up really cheap.

Mine arrived today and I was all set to hook it up until I realized that the composite video output on it is a BNC connector. I went ahead and ordered a BNC-RCA adapter but it'll take a week to arrive. Oh well. My Atari 2600 gaming will have to wait.

ddt – October 07, 2016 07:06PM Reply Quote
Sound familiar? Anyone?

ddt

bahamut – October 07, 2016 07:45PM Reply Quote
I've got a shelf in the basement on which most of my cables are organized in boxes about that size, one box each for

usb
audio
video
weird stuff (firewire, esata, thunderbolt)
power cords
bricks that have lost the device they powered
ethernet

i think there is more, not sure what.

Ron Burns – October 08, 2016 02:44AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
I'm sure I've got an acoustic coupler somewhere.. ah the wonders of mobile computing..

ddt – October 08, 2016 04:02AM Reply Quote
Do you break out the types of USB? I have a box of those but then I pull out... USB, USB C, male-to-male, male-to-female, extenders, USB-to-Firewire (!), and so on. All but the one I need.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – November 07, 2016 01:57AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – November 07, 2016 05:56AM Reply Quote
Yeah, but the controller cord's too short. If you get one, make sure to get the wireless third-party controller. Unless you want to sit less than a yard/meter from your TV.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2016 06:04AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – November 07, 2016 08:16AM Reply Quote
But if you want to be authentic, you'd be playing it on a warm, artisinal 19-inch CRT, right? So you'd need to be close.

ddt

John Willoughby – November 07, 2016 08:36AM Reply Quote
No... the authentic cord was much, much longer.

nes-classic-controller-comparison-shots-06_1920.0.jpg

El Jeffe – November 07, 2016 10:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I still have and use the same weller soldering iron from when I was like 9 years old.... sitting right here next to me. and I bet the solder is that old, too.
stop yer' belly-aching and sniff lead solder fumes!

It ain't RETRO GEEK if it's only RETRO and NO GEEK...

And I just used that to replace a tiny LiPo battery in my BT8010 bluetooth headsets. I have (too many) a few.

Cloudscout – November 30, 2016 05:09PM Reply Quote
Tonight I picked up a NeXTstation Turbo Color.

It's the complete package with the monitor, keyboard, mouse and soundbox as well as the pigtail/Y-adapter for the monitor/soundbox.

John Willoughby – November 30, 2016 05:10PM Reply Quote
Nice! Where'd you get it?

Cloudscout – November 30, 2016 05:45PM Reply Quote
This morning, a friend of mine asked if I could go and help a woman whose husband (an MD) died suddenly and unexpectedly a few weeks ago. He left behind a basement full of vintage computer crap. Most of it was junk but some of it had some value. I spent nearly four hours sorting through things for her and got stuff organized into "donate" "recycle" "keep" and "sell" categories. At the end of the night, she asked, "So how much do I owe you?" I pointed to the NeXT stuff and said, "that."

She honestly would have been fine if I took all of it but instead I'm going to help her sell the rest of the stuff and I'll just take a cut of that. I *might* keep one more piece... a Compaq 286 Luggable. There are also *TWO* Osborne 1 machines but they aren't 100% functional and the last thing I need is more ancient computers to repair so I'm going to try selling those for her as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login