Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2016 10:14PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
porruka
Regarding Think Different posters, I still have multiple complete sets for sale if anyone is interested. The only one I've framed so far is Jim Henson.

I think I still have some "Yum" iMac posters too...

Remind me to talk to you about that later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 10:14PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – February 01, 2016 02:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
A friend of a friend has the Floppy Days podcast. This page has information including Bagnall's book reference as well.

http://floppydays.libsyn.com/floppy-days-episode-6-the-commodore-pet
iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/floppy-days-episode-6-commodore/id604700427?i=164590169&mt=2

Cloudscout
I highly recommend reading the book "Commodore: A Company on the Edge" by Brian Bagnall.

Even if you weren't into Commodore stuff, it gives a fascinating look at the entire computer industry from the mid 70s to the mid 80s since pretty much everybody was either a Commodore competitor, customer or both (remember, Commodore owned MOS who made the CPUs for Apple and Atari).

ddt – February 01, 2016 06:16AM Reply Quote
On that theme, if you care about how things like the internet came about, "What the Dormouse Said" by John Markoff is a must-read (and entertaining, too, especially if you've ever been to this area).

ddt

Cloudscout – February 01, 2016 08:55AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I will check that one out. When I was a senior in high school, the principal gave me "Hackers" by Steven Levy as a Christmas gift. As far as I know, I'm the only student who received a gift from the principal. It was a great book. I've read it twice but I should probably revisit it again.

johnny k – February 01, 2016 12:32PM Reply Quote
Speaking of Commodore, Ars Technica had a really good series on the creation of the Amiga.

Cloudscout – March 22, 2016 09:53AM Reply Quote
I miss the days of logging into Hotline servers.

John Willoughby – March 22, 2016 10:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Heh. Hotline was like its own little darknet.

Hotline nostalgia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 10:58AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – March 22, 2016 12:19PM Reply Quote
Hotline and FirstClass! The good ol' days of GUI BBS. I "met" the drummer of the Meat Puppets on the FirstClass BBS that eventually became U-Haul's internal communication solution.

bahamut – March 28, 2016 06:02PM Reply Quote
I loved first class.

dharlow – May 02, 2016 07:00PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – May 05, 2016 06:22PM Reply Quote
I designed a T-Shirt. I'm gauging interest to decide whether I should order a silk-screened run to sell.

N10yLWm.png

porruka (Admin) – May 05, 2016 07:09PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Why not cafepress (or equivalent) it?

Cloudscout – May 05, 2016 07:34PM Reply Quote
If I can get enough people for an initial silk-screen run, the cost will be about $17 per shirt (plus shipping). After that, I will put it on Cafe Press for on-demand fulfillment but the cost is higher.

El Jeffe – May 06, 2016 04:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Cloudscout
I designed a T-Shirt. I'm gauging interest to decide whether I should order a silk-screened run to sell.

N10yLWm.png

Been trying to decipher. Failed. Can you explain it?

John Willoughby – May 06, 2016 06:30AM Reply Quote
Old-style Hayes modem signal for no connection, or something like that. 30 years ago every geek would get it; today it's more like a nod to forgotten 'net lore.

Cloudscout – May 06, 2016 11:57AM Reply Quote
Nearly all modems use the "Hayes" command set. It starts with AT (attention) followed by various commands to control the modem. ATDT was the command for dialing a phone number, for example: ATDT5551212

NO CARRIER is what you would see when the modem lost connection.

People that were active on dialup BBSes in the old days will get the reference.

John Willoughby – May 06, 2016 12:05PM Reply Quote
Sorry to misinform! It's been a while... Although when my uncle died and my father spent three months in Michigan he needed an internet connection. I set up one of those tiny, cheap-ass PC laptops that were all the rage a few years back with an external modem and configured the software to use a dialup network and got to re-experience the joy of dialup. (No BBS's, though.) My dad got to experience it for the first time. He was okay with it; just wanted to send email and check stock prices.

Cloudscout – May 06, 2016 02:02PM Reply Quote
Okay, I have enough people interested to make an initial order. If anybody here wants one, they'll be $16.99 plus $4.99 shipping. Just PM me your size (up to 3XL). I'm going to place the order next week.

El Jeffe – May 07, 2016 01:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
fired up iPod touch-es with iOS 4.2.1 trying to find some use for them. Not a bad OS. No obvious way to quit apps.

Cloudscout – May 31, 2016 02:32PM Reply Quote
I ended up with 27 pre-orders for those AT/DT shirts. I ordered 7 extra shirts just in case more people wanted them. I only have 3 leftovers now. I really didn't expect to find that many fellow modem nerds out there.

I've also set up an on-demand storefront to carry the torch once these are gone.

http://spar.by/atdt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login