Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

Jeff Cooper – December 25, 2015 05:36PM Reply Quote

Even I have limits.

ddt – December 25, 2015 06:57PM Reply Quote
Um, I've got a PS3, but mainly because I bought it as a Blu-Ray player and still have some PS2 games that I admire more than actually want to spend the time to play (Valkyria Chronicles, anyone?). Not that I've turned the PS3 on, or have anything more recent (or older). I donated or e-cycled old computers. Apartment and simple living.

ddt

El Jeffe – December 26, 2015 03:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like the Apple products museum. The timeline of products is cool to see it what way.
Although, I'd splinter the iPod lineage INTO the iPhone line.

ddt – December 26, 2015 12:33PM Reply Quote
I spoke too soon. Just downloaded http://openemu.org -- any recommendations on how/where to find images for Playstation 1 games?

ddt

Jeff Cooper – December 27, 2015 04:34AM Reply Quote
During my recent big cleanout, I discovered two PS1 games, which I bought back in the days of Connectix Virtual Game Station. Also discovered the Virtual Game Station CD. I haven't tried running them, though.

Cloudscout – December 27, 2015 06:19AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Funny. I have been going through my own big cleanout here and yesterday I came across my Virtual Game Station CD still in the original box. I might give it a try in this B&W G3 once the cleanout is done... sometime in mid 2017 at the current rate.

El Jeffe – December 27, 2015 07:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I never see you two together, either. hmm...

Jeff Cooper – December 30, 2015 03:23PM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
Funny. I have been going through my own big cleanout here and yesterday I came across my Virtual Game Station CD still in the original box. I might give it a try in this B&W G3 once the cleanout is done... sometime in mid 2017 at the current rate.

Sounds about right!

One of the things that I discovered early in my cleanup was an old USB game controller. I tossed it, thinking I'd never have a use for it--and then a couple of months later found Virtual Game Station. Argh.

Cloudscout – December 30, 2015 05:07PM Reply Quote
Part of my cleanout involves putting stuff on eBay. I put a bunch of Commodore games up last week and the auctions ended yesterday/today. I'm stunned. I figured I'd get between $10 and $40 for each of the games... and most of them were in that range. One of them, however, sold for $192.50. It was the Ghostbusters game. I had no idea it was that valuable.

johnny k – December 30, 2015 08:12PM Reply Quote
Is there a dead-simple way to post stuff on eBay, like some two-step mobile app? Lord knows I need to get rid of a pile of stuff. Think a bunch of Power Computing memorabilia will be worth anything? Have all their swag (poster, stickers, shirt) from their first MacWorld appearance, with "Chairman Steve".

dharlow – December 30, 2015 08:44PM Reply Quote
The mobile app for eBay should be pretty easy. The Power Computing stuff can be hit and miss but worth posting it to see what you can get.

ddt – January 01, 2016 06:51AM Reply Quote
I gave away my "cold dead hands" Power Computing poster a long time ago, and regretted it. Though I still have the "who invited" one, framed.

ddt

Jeff Cooper – January 01, 2016 08:03PM Reply Quote
I had some Power Computing swag at some point--they were at the first MWSF I attended (shortly before they were Steved), but I got rid of it long ago. My cleanout did uncover an original iMac poster, though ("I think, therefore iMac"), as well as a Rosa Parks "Think Different" poster. Both are now framed and hanging on the walls of my garage.

I had a whole bunch of "Think Different" posters at one point, but I suspect they're gone. Not many places left where they could be hiding.

porruka (Admin) – January 02, 2016 07:31AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Regarding Think Different posters, I still have multiple complete sets for sale if anyone is interested. The only one I've framed so far is Jim Henson.

I think I still have some "Yum" iMac posters too...

bahamut – January 03, 2016 07:52AM Reply Quote
I have some Powercomputing stickers too. Been thinking about them.

Cloudscout – January 03, 2016 08:03AM Reply Quote
I have been driving for 25 years and I have NEVER placed a sticker on any of my cars (aside from parking permits)... until last week:

byGpAMU.jpg

johnny k – January 04, 2016 06:27AM Reply Quote
Love it.

When I heard that Ready Player One was going to be made into a movie, I read the book (which had been sitting on Kindle after I got it on sale). Really really good, and describes the first compelling uses of VR I've seen (along with plenty of dystopian ones).

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2016 08:04AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
never heard of ready player one, but decided to buy it. looks good.

Cloudscout – January 31, 2016 07:50PM Reply Quote
I highly recommend reading the book "Commodore: A Company on the Edge" by Brian Bagnall.

Even if you weren't into Commodore stuff, it gives a fascinating look at the entire computer industry from the mid 70s to the mid 80s since pretty much everybody was either a Commodore competitor, customer or both (remember, Commodore owned MOS who made the CPUs for Apple and Atari).

John Willoughby – January 31, 2016 09:27PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
They made some amazing scientific calculators in the early days of hand-held calculators.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login