Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2015 02:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I need a cross-trike

YDD – February 07, 2015 06:29AM Reply Quote
Memories of learning to program:
BBC B/Master/Master Turbo Emulator
Also has quite a games library attached.... it's just unfortunate that it also emulates the tape loading times :-/

Jeff Cooper – March 17, 2015 05:02AM Reply Quote
I'm doing a major excavation of accumulated stuff and have come across a large cache of CDRs from a decade or more ago--which has led me to pull out my 17" Powerbook, as I need something that runs Classic and has WordPerfect installed (yes, I know it was discontinued in 1997; I continued using it until about 2003). What a neat machine this is. This is either the last or next to last generation, so it has what I think is the fastest G4 Apple used (certainly the fastest in a Powerbook): 1.67 GHz. The best thing about it from my perspective, though, is probably the thing that would drive most people crazy: the screen resolution, 1440x900. That's the same resolution as a 13" Macbook Air, which means that everything on this Powerbook is big by default: the fonts, the interface elements, everything. Perfect for my poor eyes.

I bought this used (and fairly inexpensively) about five years ago, and I haven't used it much. But it's a really nice machine. Noq I juar ned to install AppleWorks.

John Willoughby – March 17, 2015 07:11AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I loved WordPerfect for the Mac. Enjoy the Retro side of the Force!

Cloudscout – April 28, 2015 04:26PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Tonight I picked up an RCA SelectaVision CED VideoDisc Player.

I had to order a new function belt for it since the old one had turned to goo. Hopefully that will be enough to get it working again.

Cloudscout – May 05, 2015 04:33PM Reply Quote
I cleaned all the goo off the pulleys and installed the new belt tonight... and it works!

Picture and sound quality are terrible but that doesn't matter. I've never used a CED VideoDisc player before so it's cool just to see it working. I'm watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 04:33PM by Cloudscout.

El Jeffe – May 05, 2015 05:41PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
saw that. if nothing else, one must applaud that can come from a vibration

Cloudscout – May 05, 2015 06:11PM Reply Quote
It's not actually vibration. It's from capacitance.

El Jeffe – May 06, 2015 12:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
not inductance?

Cloudscout – May 24, 2015 02:37PM Reply Quote
I keep replacing belts in my vintage electronics. First it was the cassette deck in an old bookshelf stereo. Then it was a JVC cassette deck. Next, it was the RCA CED VideoDisk player above. Now it's my turntable.

It stopped working the other day and I finally got around to looking at it today to see what the problem was. I expected it to be the tonearm control belt and, sure enough, it was. I also had another turntable here that was non-functional when I received it. I decided to take that apart tonight, too, and it's the same issue.

Cloudscout – June 01, 2015 09:20AM Reply Quote
This hits a little close to home...

http://spar.by/ps4kp

ddt – June 01, 2015 09:22AM Reply Quote
The rewiring-in-the-walls scene in last night's Halt and Catch Fire made me think of you, Sparbs.

ddt

Cloudscout – June 01, 2015 09:30AM Reply Quote
I need to watch that show.

El Jeffe – June 01, 2015 02:24PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yes, you DO! you SO DO!

bahamut – June 04, 2015 08:22PM Reply Quote
Love that show.

Ok, on to a project. My 9 year old will turn 10 this September (MY GOD NO!) and I need to start planning the blow out now. I'm thinking that he's going to love a MAME system. He's a huge gamer* and loves vintage games. Galaga, Pac Man, whatever. Anyway, here's my thought: I have a few Mac Minis that I have been saving. At least one is maybe 4 years old and has HDMI out. I'm thinking I should take that one and turn it into a MAME machine. This would be for the downstairs game room which has a ceiling mounted Benq projector and my Vandersteen 2CI signature speakers driven by Adcom 545s. Just setting the scene is all… Anyway, I'm thinking I could get one of these… http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included and install the software on the boot camp side of the mini. The USB cable would have to be about 15' long to reach the couch, but that shouldn't be a problem. Yes a cabinet would be better, but also more money and, oi, more maintenance.

Your thoughts please???? I want to play Mutiny with my son on this (but who'll be on the network? and how can we cobble a mutiny.net together… wasn't there a version that ran on System 7.1.2 about the time that these boards started up???)

*so… he's a Legend of Zelda fan. Being that an ocarina is a major part of the game, he wanted one. I decided I'd get a halfway decent one for him that would actually be playable. I figured he just wanted one to look cool. He said "Daddy! There's one I've already picked out." He was pretty adamant. It was the same one, which he had picked out from Amazon reviews for the same reasons. Every morning he plays it and he's pretty darn good. Self taught off youtube videos!

James DeBenedetti – August 02, 2015 09:31PM Reply Quote
Mostly just for John - The Traveller Book is back in print, in case you ever want a freshly printed copy.

Jeff Cooper – August 03, 2015 05:10PM Reply Quote
Found while cleaning out some old boxes this afternoon:

El Jeffe – August 04, 2015 12:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
even back then... cats.
cats cats cats
what's after internet cats?

John Willoughby – August 04, 2015 09:19AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
James DeBenedetti
Mostly just for John - The Traveller Book is back in print, in case you ever want a freshly printed copy.

Thanks, James. It turns out that I already have that one. I backed the Kickstarter for Traveller 5 and got what seems to be all of Marc Miller's classic Traveller stuff in PDF as either stretch goals or add-ons.

Cloudscout – November 08, 2015 06:41PM Reply Quote
Somehow missed this when it happened a few months ago:

http://www.callapple.org/software/announcing-apple-iigs-system-6-0-2/

Hobbyists have released an OS update for the Apple IIgs, 22 years after its last update.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login