Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 01:49PM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

John Willoughby – April 15, 2013 12:12PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

Jeff Cooper – May 13, 2013 09:47PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – May 14, 2013 04:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
MS I would NOT sit through...
Does the keyboard have a THORN? (Y in Ye)

Jeff Cooper – May 18, 2013 10:23PM Reply Quote
Fired up the Cube today. It's about as souped up as a Cube can get (1.2 GHz G4). Running Panther and age-appropriate apps, it feels pretty snappy. And running OS 9 it's just absurd.

El Jeffe – May 19, 2013 03:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
it boots OS 9?
Cool.

Cloudscout – August 26, 2013 03:24PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 24, 2014 11:55AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Mac 128 Teardown
in honor of the 30th anniversary of the Mac. I was still an Apple ][ user for a few more years, but I do remember it well.

John Willoughby – January 24, 2014 05:19PM Reply Quote
I SO wanted a Mac in 1984, but I couldn't raise the cash. I should have spent my grad school money on that, given how things turned out. I got an Apple //e with two floppy drives and an Okidata printer instead. It was okay (great games), but in 1987 I got a Mac Plus and that was that. Didn't get a hard drive for a few more years, so I danced the disk swap fandango for quite some time.

John Willoughby – January 24, 2014 05:20PM Reply Quote
I DO still have my copy of MacWorld #1, though.

MacWorld_1984.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 05:21PM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – January 24, 2014 08:18PM Reply Quote
That teardown, with the comparisons to the current iMac, is a good reminder of what focusing on the same vision for 30 years looks like.

ddt – January 24, 2014 08:38PM Reply Quote
I guess if that's the case, then it speaks to a potential value of institutional memory in addition to vision; this'd be an interesting topic to trace, especially given how probably zero people have been in place for the majority of that time span (and there was a huge interregnum of the Performa/etc. years). Harvard Business Review proposal, anyone?

ddt

James DeBenedetti – March 29, 2014 12:42AM Reply Quote
Dave Trampier recently died.

El Jeffe – March 29, 2014 06:10AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I had that book.

John Willoughby – March 31, 2014 01:45AM Reply Quote
Me, too. That makes me sad. Wizards of the Coast has commited to making all of D&D available in PDF, but they haven't done the original three booklets, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, or the original AD&D volumes yet. They're still releasing a few books a week. I really, really hope that the original set aren't falling into some loophole and remaining unavailable (legally) in PDF form.

James DeBenedetti – March 31, 2014 11:42AM Reply Quote
They're not publishing PDF versions of books that are still available for sale in book form, which is the case with everything you mentioned.

John Willoughby – March 31, 2014 03:49PM Reply Quote
They initially said they'd make the whole line available; I really hope that they're not backing off of that. The original AD&D manuals are still for sale? And the original three booklets? That is cool. I still have mine, but I like knowing that I can replace them.

[EDIT: I see the reprints. Too bad that they re-did the covers. I STILL want them in electronic form; that's the only way that they'll get money from me.]

[EDIT REDUX: I guess I mis-read their promise to make their entire catalog available, in conjunction with the announcement of PDF's, as an indication that it would all be in PDF. That is disappointing (or, as my daughter says, "I am disappoint."). I guess I'll find some pirated PDF's. It's not like I didn't buy it all. Twice, in several cases.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 04:00PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – May 21, 2014 03:29PM Reply Quote
Yeah, every now and then I cross my own digital wake and either marvel at my past wisdom or cringe in terror at my callow shallowness. Your prose seems to hold up pretty well.

ddt – May 21, 2014 04:55PM Reply Quote
Well, it's hard not to have hooks to turns of phrase when writing about Duke Nukem.

I was just amazed to see my shit being used on an Amazon page. No idea they could do that.

ddt

ddt – June 19, 2014 11:52AM Reply Quote
DPBD:

Well, this takes me back. For bargain prices, too!

http://www.gog.com/games/##system_osx=106,107

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login