Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

dharlow – June 28, 2008 06:03PM Reply Quote
Forget that, check out the music video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcjlhFVTY50

Daniel

El Jeffe – June 28, 2008 07:48PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Most excellent

John Willoughby – July 06, 2008 05:20PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

Cloudscout – July 06, 2008 08:25PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That rules.

I want to run System 6 on my iPhone!

Cloudscout – July 10, 2008 11:59AM Reply Quote

Dr Phred (Moderator) – July 11, 2008 06:32AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
See Madaracs in his native environment!

Along with with my fiends Tim and Tara at a geek convention!

tliet – July 11, 2008 12:03PM Reply Quote

ddt – July 11, 2008 12:05PM Reply Quote
sweet!

ddt

Madaracs – July 16, 2008 05:04AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
I have a retro looking Raleigh. Not quite as cool as that...
--
Yipes! I'm on Podcast!

Cloudscout – July 19, 2008 08:48PM Reply Quote
I've never been big into Atari 2600 games. I thought they were cool for the kitsch factor but the first time I played a 2600 was around the same time I was introduced to the Commodore 64. The C64's abilities just dwarfed anything the 2600 could do so I was too spoiled to enjoy what it had.

Tonight, Madaracs put Jr. Pacman in his 2600 and I started playing it. Man, that was addicting. I ended up buying his spare 2600 and ordered a copy of Jr. Pacman from eBay.

After that, though, we played Medieval Mayhem. That was wild. The first game, Madaracs beat us all. The second game started to look like it was going to happen again. He had two wins and the other three of us were all at zero. Then someone else got a win. Then it was at the point where I was the only person with zero still while the other three all had 2 or 3 wins. Then I won 3 in a row. Then someone else won... it ended up going all the way to 4 wins each (the first to 5 wins). The final round was crazy and, somehow, I ended up winning it. Those 17 rounds took exactly 30 minutes. I spent more time playing Atari 2600 games tonight than I have spent since probably 1983.

I have an old Console TV that I got from someone on Craigslist. Now I plan on hooking up the 2600 to it for the full effect.

El Jeffe – July 20, 2008 05:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
2600 is a magically memory to me.

SoupIsGood Food – July 20, 2008 06:40AM Reply Quote
My grandma had one she bought to play Blackjack on. Then she bought Missile Command and SubHunt. Then she got a pocket-sized blackjack game, and lost interest.

~ Soop

Madaracs – July 21, 2008 10:58AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Cloudscout played Pac-Man Jr. so much he was sweating. *grin* And thanks to him I now have a joystick that makes the game much more worthwhile.

Medieval Mayhem is simply the best modern programming achievement for the antiquated 2600 platform. It's so challenging and addicting. It is a tribute to it's original Arcade counterpart and all Atari 2600 gamers.

Cloudscout – July 24, 2008 06:25PM Reply Quote
I got a Performa 550 today (one that wasn't broken) and installed the IIe card. Works perfectly... although the Hard Drive sounds like it's about to give up the ghost.

I also installed Glider and Mombasa on it. I had actually forgotten about Mombasa until I installed Mahjong on my iPhone. I still remember installing Mombasa on the few Macs we had at my school in 11th grade and everybody getting hooked on it (teachers included). People started using the phrase, "Friends don't let friends play Mombasa."

I can't find my Shufflepuck Cafe disk, though. I need to find a copy of that.

Cloudscout – July 24, 2008 06:46PM Reply Quote
Hmm. It looks like I also need a System 7.5 install CD. Anybody have an ISO somewhere?

Cloudscout – July 24, 2008 08:04PM Reply Quote
There are floppy images there (I think that's what those are). I was hoping to find an ISO. I don't want to make 19 floppies.

johnny k – July 27, 2008 10:19AM Reply Quote
I actually have a 7.5 CD - for 6100/7100/8100. Did they have install CDs for specific models, or is it universal? I probably have another one around too. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of packing, and will be moving for the next week. It might be a while before I can unpack it to even see if it works still.

Cloudscout – July 27, 2008 01:03PM Reply Quote
The ones that shipped with the computers were model-specific. I have a 7.5.3 CD here but it's for the PowerMac 4400 so it won't work on the Performa 550.

I may have things working now. I found a boot floppy image with the patched version of HD SC Setup and I was able to initialize the 2GB SCSI drive I had handy. I just found another floppy image that is supposed to have CD-ROM drivers so I should be able to boot up with that and then run the installer from a burned CD. We'll see.

johnny k – July 27, 2008 08:35PM Reply Quote
Alright, I did see another disc, a non-model-specific 7.5 CD. I know where it's packed so I can pull it out if you need it (in a week).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login