Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 08:49AM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

Cloudscout – July 27, 2017 05:24AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I don't plan on doing any recording, I'm just looking for stuff that has shows recorded from TV with the promos, adverts, etc.

El Jeffe – August 01, 2017 12:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
CS, following your twitter account, do we need to intervene? How MUCH RETRO have you bought lately??????? :)

Cloudscout – August 01, 2017 06:50AM Reply Quote
I've just found some really good deals lately.

That PAL/NTSC TV and the PAL/NTSC/SECAM VCR were on Craigslist for $20. I've had a PAL Commodore 64 for a few years but the only way to use it was with an LCD TV since those support PAL signals but old computers and video game systems look terrible on LCDs because they used a creative hack to get 240p on CRT displays (basically progressive scan half-resolution). Why bother with a PAL C64 in the first place? Because the timing differences mean that some software written for a PAL C64 won't work right on an NTSC C64 and vice versa.

I also bought an Atari 800. I got a bunch of Atari 8 bit stuff years ago, an Atari 600XL, Atari 800XL and Atari 130XE. The one I really wanted was the first generation Atari 800 but I wasn't willing to pay the usual prices on eBay. I was at a thrift store a couple weeks ago and found one for $6. I couldn't pass that up.

Finally, there is the VIC-20. For collectors, the first generation VIC-20 is more valuable because it had a unique keyboard with square keys and a blocky font. While I have wanted one for a while, it was like the Atari 800... too expensive. I happened across a Craigslist posting for a VIC-20 in the middle of Wisconsin. When I looked at the pictures, I saw that it was a square-key model. It also included a bunch of accessories, games, etc. The guy wanted $40. Ordinarily I wouldn't have been willing to drive two hours for that sort of thing but my wife and I were already going to be driving through Chippewa Falls on our way to Oshkosh for the air show this weekend so I arranged to meet the guy as we passed through town.

The final item was an Atari 520ST system. I have had a 520ST sitting in a box for many years. Don't remember where it came from but it had no power supply or mouse or anything. Every time I've looked for those items on eBay, they're too expensive. Last week I found someone selling a 520ST with the mouse and power supply with a starting bid just slightly more than a power supply alone would cost. I put in the minimum bid and... won the auction.

I think I'm done with buying retro stuff for a while... with the possible exception of a TRS-80 Color Computer. If I can get a cheap CoCo or CoCo 2, I'll probably do it.

John Willoughby – August 01, 2017 08:10AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
My brother had an Atari 520ST. We used to argue over whether the Mac or Atari was superior. We both loathed DOS/Windows. I never got to see his in person.

Cloudscout – August 01, 2017 08:16AM Reply Quote
There is an Australian podcast called "Press Play on Tape" that I enjoy. There have been several friendly arguments between the hosts about Amiga vs. Atari ST.

El Jeffe – August 01, 2017 12:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I always felt the atari st were more like amigas

Cloudscout – August 01, 2017 04:10PM Reply Quote
They were meant to compete with the Amiga but their graphics and sound capabilities were lacking.

porruka (Admin) – August 25, 2017 09:07AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Anyone want/need/crave a working LC II? Someone I know here in Reno has one and looking to get rid of it.

If so, let me know and I'll put you in contact, as I have no idea of any further details (price, shipping, etc)

John Willoughby – August 25, 2017 11:44AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Does it have an Apple IIe card? Just idle curiosity; I'm not likely interested.

porruka (Admin) – August 25, 2017 12:23PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
Does it have an Apple IIe card? Just idle curiosity; I'm not likely interested.

Unlikely, current owner is not a geek.

bahamut – August 25, 2017 06:49PM Reply Quote
I have a VIC-20 with square blocky keys, indeed, my own original VIC-20 from some 37 years ago. I remember waiting for that thing's release. Didn't realize it was 1980, thought it was later. Anyways… … I'd love to connect it up to a screen again, but even back in the 80s, the RF modulator I had was dodgy due to some mod I tried to make. Any thoughts on where I could go to adapt it to something? And what should I adapt it to? LCD? CRT? Sounds like CS is saying CRT.

Cloudscout – August 27, 2017 06:12AM Reply Quote
Composite cables for it are easy to find on eBay if you don't have one already. You can hook it up to anything but it'll only look right if you use a CRT. That's not just me being all retro nostalgic. Pretty much every system until the Playstation 2 was technically 240p. The devices output a 480i signal but they used a sort of timing hack that essentially tricks CRTs into displaying it properly. LCD (and most HD CRT) TVs try to deinterlace the signal resulting in a lousy image. It's still usable but it will look much better on a non-HD CRT.

ddt – August 27, 2017 12:52PM Reply Quote
My first computer ever was an LCIII.

ddt

bahamut – September 10, 2017 06:17PM Reply Quote
My 50th is this month. I want foosball and air hockey. I see no reason not to get on Craigslist. What should I do to get good games?

bahamut – September 10, 2017 06:59PM Reply Quote
Also I want to build a MAME arcade. I have a good carpenter. i want a real kick ass project. Anybody ever build one? CRT or LCD? If so, what?

Roger – September 10, 2017 09:38PM Reply Quote
I keep poking around the MAME arcade scene but haven't built one yet. Retropie is easy and fun, and the cabinet kits on eBay seem super-overpriced. I think I'd get a bundle of controls and just build a cabinet myself.

ddt – October 15, 2017 06:45PM Reply Quote
Watched a little Captain Scarlet and I genuinely love the detailed effort they went into with the backgrounds, street scenes, hotel room decor. Though if you think about it, this is a psychotically paranoid dystopia (alien warriors with a grudge can be anyone or anything) and the title character must be leading a horrorshow of a life (could have his mind taken over by the enemy, can live through any fatal injury but feels it fully).

ddt

bahamut – October 16, 2017 02:23PM Reply Quote
I found a nice football table and a good air hockey table on Craigslist. Made me happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login