Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

John Willoughby – November 01, 2011 07:41AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
So, Apple missed its "October" date for iTunes Match. Minor delay or catastrophic dissolution of the space-time continuum?

Cloudscout – November 01, 2011 10:20AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
What are you talking about? It's only October 32nd. They still have time.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – November 06, 2011 06:30AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
As one who is running t, I can tell you it needs more baking time.

John Willoughby – December 07, 2011 01:36PM Reply Quote

tliet – December 08, 2011 01:04PM Reply Quote
Meanwhile, Gmail has been wonderful since 2004 to me. Never paid a penny for it.

John Willoughby – December 08, 2011 01:31PM Reply Quote
I agree that the mail works superbly, but I seem to end up with a lot of ads on the web interface as well as an unwanted tie-in to their instant messaging and friends list.

Both iTools/MobileMe/iCloud and Google have elevated what I regarded merely as an e-mail address into an all powerful user ID, used for things that I would not have elected to use it for.

ARL (Moderator) – December 08, 2011 03:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
tliet
Meanwhile, Gmail has been wonderful since 2004 to me. Never paid a penny for it.

Directly, at any rate. Google has made money from passing on your personal data, rest assured.

tliet – December 08, 2011 06:02PM Reply Quote
I only use the IMAP client and yes, I agree that the privacy issue is there. However, service wise it's top notch.

bahamut – May 06, 2012 03:06PM Reply Quote
idisk dead? WTF?

> After June 30th, iDisk will no longer be available

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

How am I supposed to sync my Pages documents to my iPad? Dropbox I guess.

I've almost completely turned off iCloud. I'm still using contacts and reminders, photostream and of course find my iphone/Ipad but I'm finding it less reliable and less useful that MobileMe, which is stunning. Backups to iCloud are totally useless in our iOS family. We have two iPhones, one 16gb, one 64gb and three (well four, but one has to go) iPads, all 64gb. In other words, even if we paid $100 a year, we wouldn't have enough storage to back up our iOS devices.

Apple is in deep trouble with this one. I'm thinking of selling my stock. The next iPhone will have little to recommend it. The one after that even less (once you're at LTE speeds, anything faster is diminishing returns… it's already unaffordable pricewise to use these things to their fullest).

It's a clusterfuck. Time to acknowledge it.

I vote we call the next iteration Fuckme.com because no doubt that will be just what it will do. But it'll pick up pr0n browsers…

ddt – May 06, 2012 03:07PM Reply Quote
Funny, I just heard a reference to eWorld, and it made me think how Apple has never been able to make a service work.

ddt

Cloudscout – May 06, 2012 03:26PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That's not true. iTools was awesome... which, of course, is why they killed it as quickly as possible.

bahamut – May 06, 2012 05:54PM Reply Quote
iCloud is such garbage, it's unbelievable that they are going to be able save this one without throwing it out.

sometimes its time to knife the baby.

for example… 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3360278?start=45&tstart=0

ddt – May 06, 2012 05:57PM Reply Quote
Ouch. Does not make me want to investigate and change my manual workflow.

Do you think this unfinished state might be in part due to the rumors that Apple wanted to buy Dropbox? That is, they didn't invest heavily in making document sync work well because they thought they'd be buying a solution?

ddt

John Willoughby – May 07, 2012 07:11AM Reply Quote
I think that they tried to buy the best (DropBox) and then, when that failed, decided to roll their own. To be honest, I'm glad that they didn't get DropBox. They'd have changed it, and quite possibly ruined it. This way, I still have a decent remote storage service.

bahamut – May 07, 2012 08:45AM Reply Quote
I hate Dropbox. It's caused me immense problems at work. It's utter garbage, doesn't warn me properly when it fails to sync.

ddt – May 07, 2012 08:51AM Reply Quote
Baha, what other problems with Dropbox have sparked your wrath? And I get a little "x" in the menu bar icon if Dropbox fails to sync -- though I can see how not knowing the status of files could be a disaster.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 07, 2012 08:59AM Reply Quote
I think that the problems people have are more centered around the cases when DropBox doesn't tell you that it hasn't synced, but there are local changes that haven't been mirrored up to the cloud. This doesn't happen to bite me much, but I have seen it.

bahamut – May 08, 2012 05:02PM Reply Quote
One is enough. If my boss yells at me (don't ask why he expected me to use garbageware, but he did) because dropbox didn't sync, it's enough. I don't recall the X, but it was two years ago, maybe it wasn't there yet?

Jeff Cooper – June 29, 2012 11:21AM Reply Quote
Goodbye, MobileMe. I'm going to miss you.

(Yes, that's a picture from an actual MobileMe-hosted page from 2009, which I created with iWeb, no less. Here today, gone tomorrow.)

John Willoughby – September 11, 2012 10:28AM Reply Quote
iCloud e-mail down for me about six hours this morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login