Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

Jeff Cooper – May 08, 2011 08:53AM Reply Quote
Steve Jobs re: MobileMe:

"Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?" Having received a satisfactory answer, he continues, "So why the f*** doesn't it do that?"

johnny k – May 08, 2011 11:45AM Reply Quote
Looking at the beginning of this thread, I see that if rumors are correct, this name - the third for Apple's cloud services - will have lasted 3 years. I think PowerCD lasted longer. This strategy is usually employed by the likes of telecom and cable companies.

El Jeffe – May 08, 2011 12:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
MobileMe and iLife in general, should really crank through major changes every 2-3 years, imo, to keep it fresh.

John Willoughby – May 16, 2011 10:15AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – May 16, 2011 12:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hopefully soon they'll cut over. My sub is about up for renewal

John Willoughby – May 16, 2011 02:46PM Reply Quote
The staggering might have been the result of back end changes to support a free service. Or just sunspots. Anyway, the problems are allegedly fixed now.

John Willoughby – June 30, 2011 01:35PM Reply Quote
Somebody over on Macintouch noticed that MobileMe was filtering outgoing mail. You may recall that I ranted about that a bit [March 27, 2009]. (Apple just refuses to send mail that it thinks is spam, but puts it in your "Sent" folder, so there is no way that you can tell that it wasn't sent, unless you cc yourself at another address.)

It's infuriating, almost pointless (as spammers can forge any "sent from" address that they like anyway), and doesn't even offer the ability to create a "white list" of people that will always receive your e-mail. (Make it hold six addresses, and only allow updates once a day if you're paranoid about spammers.)

Do any other ISP's filter outgoing mail by content? (As opposed to volume.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 01:46PM by John Willoughby.

tliet – June 30, 2011 08:05PM Reply Quote
You could of course also send your e-mail through an independent mail server (ISP?) and have the return address set to your MobileMe address.

Having said that, I'm not sure why I would want to pay for the services Apple provides, when there are (mostly free) alternatives that work better? Anybody who has MobileMe care to explain what;s been the biggest selling point to them?

El Jeffe – July 01, 2011 12:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Integrated (built-in), no outside providers, configurations, etc. Our Me calendars (before and after the big change happened recently) were easy to share/sync and now share/edit/sync.
Kids have used iWeb to easily publish. Many of my settings sync between my 8 Macs. Those are Dashboard widgets, Dock items, Keychains, Mail configuration (account definitions, rules, signatures, smart mailboxes, Notes, System Prefs, THIRD PARTY SYNCing.... MarkSpace Cell Phone Call Logs, MarkSpace Notes, MarkSpace cell phone SMS/Text message archival.
iDisk has been like DropBox and recently like DB w/o the security fuck ups.
Back to My Mac I have used and will use while away to remote into each of my computers 'it just works' (when the wi-fi where I am away from home allows for the proper communication)
We love it.

John Willoughby – July 01, 2011 08:00AM Reply Quote
Tliet, I do send my e-mail through other ISP's servers from my devices. When I am using the web interface, which is the most convenient at work, I have no choice.

I think what annoys me most is not the fact that they're doing it, which I can react to as I choose, but that they don't make customers aware that they're doing it or alert them when a message has been disappeared.

tliet – July 01, 2011 12:33PM Reply Quote
Bill; sounds like it's a good proposition. I've never even considered using it, partly because I'm always on both Windows as well as Mac, but also because of the issues such as John is describing.

El Jeffe – July 01, 2011 01:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tliet - yes, we get our money's worth, in my opinion. And I don't have to patch together a bunch of unrelated sites/company's offerings. But, yeah, if I was just syncing bookmarks or using it for mail services, it would not be worth it.

tliet – July 01, 2011 10:23PM Reply Quote
Hmm, my 'tliet' user name should in theory still be reserved from when iTools went non-free. I guess when iCloud is turned on I could probably return to use it, provided the e-mail account I used to register it is still accessible by me (probably not).

El Jeffe – July 03, 2011 04:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Oh, as can be attested to TODAY, the Find My IDevice feature (originally iPhone, but worked with iPod Touches as well) is very handy.
Locating my wife's misplaced Touch now......

El Jeffe – July 03, 2011 04:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
...somewhere in her purse of all places. lol

ARL (Moderator) – July 07, 2011 03:56PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Of course. Where else would it be?

Cloudscout – October 04, 2011 01:49PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
iCloud is free if you have an iOS 5 device or a Mac running Lion.

I have neither. Does this mean that I am going to lose my mac.com email address?

Jeff Cooper – October 04, 2011 01:52PM Reply Quote
Do we get to keep mac.com? I haven't paid close enough attention.

Cloudscout – October 04, 2011 02:10PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Yes, they did at least make it clear that old mac.com email addresses will still be maintained.

Jeff Cooper – October 04, 2011 02:12PM Reply Quote
Excellent. I've had the address since the free iTools days, and it's the address many of my friends know; I'd hate to give it up now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login