Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – November 05, 2008 12:54PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
sure, but I get it free. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Madaracs – November 06, 2008 08:52AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Free this, free that! Share the love...

John Willoughby – March 27, 2009 10:53AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
The e-mail I sent my family about a ruckus in the small Pennsylvania town where my mother lives (link was posted in the Parlour thread), was blocked by MobileMe.

Not that they told me. I contacted support and asked why none of my recipients received the message, and it was because (apparently) it looked like spam and MobileMe didn't send it. It had the subject, "Tales from Tunkhannock" and the body was one sentence and a link to the story. Too spam-like. So not only did MobileMe refuse to send it, it also didn't tell me that it didn't send it. This is allegedly so that spammers sending spam from MobileMe can't easily detect the blockage. (Of course, they could just send messages to an external e-mail address until one got through, then they'd know they'd beaten the filter and could bulk send.)

The MobileMe support agent wasn't sure that this was what happened; apparently he couldn't check what happened. But he seemed reasonably sure.

So, the bottom line is that I have to accept that some of my outgoing mail may not be sent, and that I will receive no notice when this occurs.

I'm sure this stops a lot of spam.

El Jeffe – March 27, 2009 12:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Did you BCC everyone but yourself/own email?

John Willoughby – March 27, 2009 01:16PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – March 27, 2009 03:09PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

Cloudscout – October 12, 2009 09:29AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Score another one for Cloud Computing.

I'm getting a 404 when I try to log into the Mobile Me website right now.

Jeff Cooper – October 12, 2009 10:01AM Reply Quote
MobileMe is an advertisement against cloud computing., or at least against trusting Apple with cloud computing. Example: iDisk has been around for years, and yet it's still painfully, absurdly slow, and with intermittent outages. Why on earth should I ever plan to use it for something I really need?

bahamut – October 15, 2009 07:20PM Reply Quote
I was kind of amazed to see that mobileme let me log into my computer at home from 1/2 across the globe.

Less amazed that I can't copy files to my idisk most of the time. idisk? no, isuck!

tliet – October 16, 2009 01:58AM Reply Quote
Just use DropBox for that, up to 2 Gb (or more if you get friends to sign up) is free.

El Jeffe – October 16, 2009 02:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am wondering if DB is using too much CPU at times. You guys?

tliet – October 16, 2009 06:30PM Reply Quote
Never noticed, but then again I'm only running it on a hackintosh with ample memory and cpu headroom.

bahamut – October 17, 2009 05:55PM Reply Quote
any problems, tliet, and how much of each?

tliet – October 18, 2009 03:28PM Reply Quote
I have an HP xw 6400 workstation that ran 10.5.7 on the 1st try and is as stable as heck. It's got 2 quad core xeons and 8 gb ram but I just found out Leopard only sees 4. But it's a fine setup and I like working on it.

John Willoughby – December 27, 2009 11:46AM Reply Quote
Mobile Me's web interface has been down much of the day. Nice for new customers.

El Jeffe – December 28, 2009 03:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I don't recall seeing any errors. Was it 100% widespread? I have me.com come up as part of my usual sites. It looked fine, though I did not interact with it.

John Willoughby – December 28, 2009 10:00AM Reply Quote
Maybe just where we were; but we got the official "Not available, we're working on it" page. Seemed to last while.

Jeff Cooper – May 14, 2010 12:00PM Reply Quote
Just logged onto the new webmail beta for the first time. It looks like the iPad's mail. So far so good--the old version was having all kinds of appearance glitches for me, and so far at least I haven't had any of that in the beta.

John Willoughby – May 14, 2010 12:50PM Reply Quote
I like the one-button-click to archive feature. I have my own archive, and use move-to-folder for it, but built-in is better. I wonder how long it will take to show up in the non-web mail apps. After the beta, I mean.

John Willoughby – June 17, 2010 02:50PM Reply Quote
MobileMe upgrades incoming. No word on price changes, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login