Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

Cloudscout – July 23, 2008 03:57PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
DPBD - I'd like to make a snarky comment about this part in particular:

But it doesn’t have to be painful to switch ISPs. Not if you have a Mac.com email account.

That's right! If you have a Mac.com email account, you can experience that pain without having to switch ISPs!

tomierna (Admin) – July 23, 2008 04:29PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
CS:

If they have been doing things correctly (knock on wood) you won't lose any inbound mail, it will just be deferred until the server is available again.

Outbound is certainly a more vexing problem, but at least you can't submit any mail, so it won't be lost in transit.

Running a mailserver, I'll attest, is one of the most nerve wracking services for an admin to run.

I know I've been sweating bullets when my main mailserver goes down. I am more careful to update that server than any other one I manage.

Cloudscout – July 23, 2008 05:32PM Reply Quote
Oh, I know that feeling. I've been running my own mailservers since 1994. The reason I used .Mac for stuff was due to the fact that my mailservers are hobby projects. When they go down, I can't just drop everything to get them back online (especially when I was traveling a lot). My day job has to come first. The thing is, downtime for my mailserver has been pretty similar to .Mac this last year. It would be better if not for my power outages (I don't run my server off of the generator... I'd rather have TV and Cold Food than email).

Cloudscout – July 24, 2008 05:47AM Reply Quote
"Apple’s MobileMe Is Far Too Flawed To Be Reliable"

...and that's coming from Walt Mossberg.

John Willoughby – July 24, 2008 06:26AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
He was far too kind.

John Willoughby – July 24, 2008 12:27PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – July 24, 2008 06:22PM Reply Quote
I love this quote:

Now, even if 1 percent is accurate, Apple has 2 million .Mac/MobileMe customers. So that's at least 20,000 people.

And just about every one of them e-mailed me.

Seriously, when Apple's two biggest cheerleaders deliver such heavy denouncements of a major product like this, heads have got to roll.

tliet – July 25, 2008 12:49AM Reply Quote
Well, if one head should roll, it's Steve's own. It was probably his idea to roll out 3 enormously complex projects all at once.

I don't think any sane project manager that had something to say in this would chosen this is method of rolling out.

John Willoughby – July 25, 2008 06:29AM Reply Quote
Actually, the mess makes me believe that Steve was NOT too involved.

tliet – July 25, 2008 01:50PM Reply Quote
Still, someone at the highest level has approved this. It never amazes me how group think works; someone is able to convince him or herself that some crazy project with an even more ridiculous deadline is gonna work and they convince higher management.

I've just given up on these people, I just don't do their projects.

John Willoughby – July 25, 2008 01:56PM Reply Quote
"I tried it three times, and it worked. Well, mostly. Ship it!"

Cloudscout – July 25, 2008 02:15PM Reply Quote

"I tried it three times, and it worked. Well, mostly. Ship it!"

That makes me want to both laugh and cry.

Cloudscout – July 25, 2008 03:10PM Reply Quote
Now that I can't sync with the Exchange Server at work, I'm trying to use MobileMe for syncing my Address Book stuff. I went through and cleaned up the Address Book on my machine here at home and clicked on the "Sync Now" button in MobileMe Prefs.

Nothing.

My MobileMe Address Book still has all of the old information. None of my updates were sent to the servers. I hit the sync button again. It goes through the usual routing, "Syncing Calendars... Syncing Bookmarks... Syncing Contacts..." but when I go to check, it still isn't updated on me.com. Finally, I go into the Advanced section of MobileMe sync prefs and tell it to reset sync data and to replace all of the Contacts data on MobileMe with the Contacts data from my home machine. That finally worked, but what a pain in the ass.

John Willoughby – July 26, 2008 12:07PM Reply Quote

tliet – July 26, 2008 01:38PM Reply Quote
Finally someone has thought about crisis communication. Too bad 'he' or 'she' didn't sign it. Still, they are doing the thing to do now.

John Willoughby – July 27, 2008 08:11AM Reply Quote
Apple's now saying that they've lost some e-mail. 10% of mail sent to affected accounts over about a 50 hour period. There is no way that should happen. I know that they don't guarantee uptime or availability, but it can't be that hard for a Fortune 500 company to have contingency plans for an e-mail server outage.

tliet – July 27, 2008 09:25AM Reply Quote
E-mail can get queued or bounced, if you manage to screw things up so badly that mail is actually lost, whew... Than you're mighty incompetent...

Or weren't allowed to test stuff on a large scale.

I suspect the latter.

All the secrecy is doing more harm than good with these things. These are seriously big projects and while I believe they have competent people on board, I really do think nobody was able to stand up and say 'this is madness'.

Cloudscout – July 30, 2008 11:52AM Reply Quote
The MobileMe sync service for Windows is supposed to sync your Outlook stuff with your MobileMe account. Unfortunately, it won't do this if you have Outlook configured to connect to an Exchange server. Of course, it won't tell you that there's anything wrong. You can sync over and over until the cows come home but your calendar and contact info will never appear on your MobileMe account.

Curtis – July 30, 2008 05:31PM Reply Quote
For everyone complaining about Apple's MobileMe, I can assure you all my company's Exchange ActiveSync is having many difficulties as well.

Madaracs – July 31, 2008 05:41AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
So I guess it's a new BB Bold for me?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login