Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

Bruce Robertson – July 14, 2008 07:43AM Reply Quote
OK I got that to work (me.com) so access via browser is OK.

But in System Preferences for .Mac, it keeps asking to upgrade the account and keeps going to a page with no upgrade instructions. If I try to use the Advanced tab it just gets the beach ball.

Mighty Mouse – July 14, 2008 08:11AM Reply Quote
Bruce,

Is this with the updated pref pane?

John Willoughby – July 14, 2008 10:17AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I got e-mail this morning saying that my account has been renewed. (Thanks, Mighty Mouse) .Mac mail is working again, and things seem to be syncing as they are supposed to. I still think that a fairly major ball was dropped, but I am able to use things now.

Mighty Mouse – July 14, 2008 11:20AM Reply Quote
Didn't do anything, John, but glad it's working. I think it was just part of the clean up after the dropped ball.

El Jeffe – July 14, 2008 12:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've never been redirected. I, too, was unsure how to get in.

But, I came here to complain.

I don't like clouds. I don't like clouds with pink/fuschia.

Why, oh why is my little iDisk now a pink cloudy thing????? Sigh.

;)

Mighty Mouse – July 15, 2008 07:15PM Reply Quote
My bad. Just found out the redirect only works inside right now, not outside.

Sorry.

Bruce Robertson – July 15, 2008 07:26PM Reply Quote
Still can't sync my calendar or contacts.

System Pref for .mac can't login in even though it has the right password. You may recall a time when I had a lot of keychain problems after changing my .mac password.

Looks like the me.com / .mac system is screwed up and has part of me under one password and part under another.

Cloudscout – July 15, 2008 08:55PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
discussions.apple.com is currently down, too.

John Willoughby – July 16, 2008 06:16AM Reply Quote
Free month to all MobileMe subscribers.

El Jeffe – July 16, 2008 12:02PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Believe it when I see it.

tliet – July 16, 2008 12:10PM Reply Quote
http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/16/mobileme-says-sorry-with-a-month-of-free-service

Why does Apple insist of running services when they're not really good at it? They could have teamed up with a partner of fame to make it really work well. Oh well, now that they've taken the Mac association off they could more easily spin it off in the future.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – July 16, 2008 02:25PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Wow, Back to my Mac finally works! I didn't change anything and it finally started working. Yeah!

Cloudscout – July 20, 2008 02:56PM Reply Quote
"1% of MobileMe members cannot access MobileMe Mail. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Fuck you, Apple. I'm done. Time to switch everything I have set up to send email to my mac.com address over to something else because I simply cannot rely on this service anymore. I can't believe that a PAID email service can possibly be this unreliable.

El Jeffe – July 20, 2008 03:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Class action.

tliet – July 21, 2008 06:04AM Reply Quote
Gmail

I don't think I've ever experienced a moment where I couldn't access my mailbox for more than 2 minutes.

ARL (Moderator) – July 21, 2008 05:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Bruce Robertson – July 22, 2008 04:58PM Reply Quote
Went to other computer, unregistered problem computer, went back to problem computer, re-registered w/.mac, all fine now.

John Willoughby – July 23, 2008 07:07AM Reply Quote
Apple descends the staircase, clad in a sheet styled to look like a Roman toga and with an olive garland on its brow. Apple stops, and observes its user base, playing with .Mac and impressing the switchers gathered around it. "I gave my love a cherry, that had no stone. I gave my love a chicken, that had no bones, I gi..." Apple snatches .Mac away from its user base and smashes it repeatedly against the wall, destroying .Mac utterly. Apple hands the fragments of .Mac back to its user base. "Sorry."

Cloudscout – July 23, 2008 03:53PM Reply Quote
For at least a few minutes tonight, the outbound mail server was inaccessible. I really need to get everything switched over so my "important" emails (bills, eBay notices, etc.) go through a more reliable service. What a pain that's going to be. Rather than come up with my own words to describe the inconvenience, I'll re-use someone else's words on the subject:

Mac.com—One Email Address that’s Yours To Keep

What happens when you leave one Internet Service Provider (ISP) for another?

Usually it means that you have to change your email address. And that means re-subscribing to mailing lists, notifying friends, family, and colleagues about your new address, and changing account settings at the Apple Store, Amazon, and other online vendors.

But it doesn’t have to be painful to switch ISPs. Not if you have a Mac.com email account. One of the four Internet services that are part of iTools, a Mac.com account is a snap to set up and easy to remember. That’s because you use your member name (“ulysses”) as part of your email address (“ulysses@mac.com”), so as long as you remember your name, you’ll remember your address.

Mac.com also provides all the features you need in an email account, including auto reply and mail forwarding. What’s more, you can keep it as long as you like and use it with any ISP you sign up with, so even if you switch—from AOL to EarthLink, let’s say—you can still get your mail delivered to your Mac.com address.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login