Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 07:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

John Willoughby – November 18, 2015 08:53PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
See, you keep trying to get back to Battlestar Galactica, but I am trying to swerve into The Prisoner.

El Jeffe – November 19, 2015 12:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I did that soon after I departed Ron...
portmeirion

Ron Burns – November 20, 2015 04:01AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
You are a free man..

ddt – November 20, 2015 07:00AM Reply Quote
He is Number Two!

ddt

johnny k – November 28, 2015 08:05PM Reply Quote
Just had an "Oh shit, that's awesome" moment with iCloud. Been using Ulysses for writing on the Mac for a while, and finally bought the iPad version. Launched it and it immediately shows me everything that I've worked on on the Mac. No sign-in, no dialogs.

El Jeffe – November 29, 2015 04:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
FYI for anyone.
http://www.ulyssesapp.com/mac/
http://www.ulyssesapp.com [ HEY LADY! That mallard WANTS FOOD for goodness sake!!!!] (I should know, they beg for food at our house all the time.... lol ]

ddt – November 29, 2015 05:35AM Reply Quote
That's cool, about the sync!

I like Ulysses (bought it for the Mac), but feel I haven't really learned how to use it to the point of taking advantage of it fully (then again, I never use Markdown) -- once I get past the "getting it together in my head" state, editors want Word for comments and change tracking.

And I have noticed a lot of rendering issues when I try to export Ulysses docs to pdf and other formats.

ddt

johnny k – November 29, 2015 06:00AM Reply Quote
I don't use half the features. I just use it as a writing environment with a clean text editor that has word count and other stats, and some organizational tools. Simpleton has 80% of what I want, but all my other kinds of notes mixed in with the longform doesn't help productivity.

All you really need to know about Markdown is _, *, and #.

bahamut – November 30, 2015 05:28AM Reply Quote
I don't get markdown. It doesn't strike me as simple. It strikes me as complicated and the kind of thing that appeals to startupniks. I don't get why nobody makes a simple word processor for the Mac, like Writenow (remember that?). Basically, super simple interface WITH nothing more than basic formatting, endnotes and footnotes. Save as .doc or .docx files. That's it. Pages has a pretty interface. It could work. Except for .doc and .docx. Why, oh why is it not interoperable?

Nisus Writer=ugly GUI
Open Office=ugly, bloated, the Word 6 of our day
Pages = no interoperability
Word = bloated, best of the breed though

Oh and of course it should have inline spellcheck.

Google docs isn't bad actually, but the online aspect of it is not ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 05:30AM by bahamut.

porruka (Admin) – November 30, 2015 06:16AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
bahamut
I don't get markdown. It doesn't strike me as simple. It strikes me as complicated and the kind of thing that appeals to startupniks. I don't get why nobody makes a simple word processor for the Mac, like Writenow (remember that?). Basically, super simple interface WITH nothing more than basic formatting, endnotes and footnotes. Save as .doc or .docx files. That's it. Pages has a pretty interface. It could work. Except for .doc and .docx. Why, oh why is it not interoperable?

Nisus Writer=ugly GUI
Open Office=ugly, bloated, the Word 6 of our day
Pages = no interoperability
Word = bloated, best of the breed though

Oh and of course it should have inline spellcheck.

Google docs isn't bad actually, but the online aspect of it is not ideal.

Markdown is the pre-visual internet (lower eye) conventions made visual, that's all. If you never used _italics_ or *bold* in usenet posts or email, then the syntax will seem arbitrary because, well, it is. It is also well known to most of the graybeards and others (no startupnicness required).

As far as Pages compatibility, I've not particularly stressed it but it seems mostly transparent (as long as fonts are available -- defaults there can bite you). Are the citation elements that broken?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 07:30AM by porruka.

ddt – November 30, 2015 08:41AM Reply Quote
I've been able to open Word docs in Pages, and save Pages to .doc and .docx -- but it just doesn't work out if the Word doc has tracked changes (that's my only use case for Word, when working with editors -- and the Google Docs change tracking is both visually and functionally NOOOOOOOO).

ddt

johnny k – November 30, 2015 08:55AM Reply Quote
Baha, you know, TextEdit meets all of your requirements except for footnotes. It even has document styles. Saves to .doc, but Pages does too. I use Pages when I need to do a document with decent formatting.

Roger – November 30, 2015 10:21AM Reply Quote
I don't know what your standards for "ugly" are but they don't match up with mine. Nisus works great for me.

bahamut – December 14, 2015 05:04PM Reply Quote
You are right Porruka, but I don't see the point of it in this day and age.

Johnny K., you're right but the footnotes are necessary at times.

Roger, you are right, but it's not for me, or wasn't a couple of years ago.

Ddt, I will never, ever trust apple not to gratuitously obsolete a file format again....

porruka (Admin) – December 15, 2015 12:23PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Baha,

The only thing I'll add is that many who write large volumes don't do it in a word processor. To have the ability to add formatting hints inline without the weight of mental HTML or the bloat of a word processor is not just useful, but essential.

That's the point for some; if you live in the word processor (whichever one it is), then yes, I can definitely see your point.

Jeff Cooper – December 16, 2015 07:56AM Reply Quote
I used Mariner Write for many years--starting in 1999 or so (version 1.6.2, on a 20th Anniversary Mac), when it had an interface much like the word processor in Claris Works 5. It's relatively lightweight and nimble, and I used it for class notes for more than a dozen years as an alternative to Word's bloat. Unfortunately, although it does fine with .doc files, it does not handle .docx. And more, it's been in maintenance mode for seven years or so--it's been stuck at version 3.9.x for a while now, though a bit of work is still being done (3.9.5 is relatively recent). There's been talk for years about version 4, but at this point it seems about as likely to appear as WordPerfect 4 does--that is, not.

ARL (Moderator) – December 16, 2015 06:05PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I briefly used Nisus writer as a Word alternative as ten years ago it had reasonable compatibility.

It's a shame that Word is the default now as it really is quite shocking bloatware. I do a monthly bulletin/newsletter (only 4 or so pages) but the inconsistency of the page layout is so frustrating I use Indesign.

Sad.

El Jeffe – March 30, 2016 09:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
current apple services dashboard looks bad

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login