Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ddt – November 01, 2017 09:24AM Reply Quote
Um, duh on my part. How do you connect a USB-C-only MacBook Pro to an Apple Thunderbolt Display?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – November 01, 2017 06:35PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
If it's a thunderbolt display, the apple USB-C to thunderbolt adapter should work. If you have a displayport cinema dispaly, you need to buy one of the generic adapters:

http://a.co/c0DNzzK

Note, you can't daisy chain a second adapter to go from mini-diplsayport to vga or DVI.

ddt – November 01, 2017 06:48PM Reply Quote
Thanks. Yeah, can't believe I spaced on considering that. Or I was so exhausted when I placed the order that I got Lighting and Thunderbolt confused again.

ddt

ddt – November 01, 2017 07:46PM Reply Quote
Sigh. Now my Mac is just... shutting down? Screen goes to black, gets white Apple logo, I select user and login, it starts to... oops, all black. Log in again.

ddt

John Willoughby – November 02, 2017 07:24AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Zap the pram again, but prepare for the worst.

ddt – November 05, 2017 05:26PM Reply Quote
My "old laptop is trying to kill me by dying itself" has now become "old and new are conspiring to kill me by having Migration Assistant fail in manifold and opaque ways allll weekend" (requires password to connect to Time Machine -- never set a password for it, nothing in Keychain, so can't go that route; Target Disk mode means new laptop sees old laptop, but "Continue" button in Migration Assistant does... nothing; Thunderbolt-cable connected migrations start to work until an hour or so in the "20min left" (which it said for an hour) become "192hr 19min left").

Giving up for now. May have to pay for a tech to come over and sit there on their hourly wage.

Am I missing something obvious? Tom and Dr. Phred have been helpful but I think I stumped them.

ddt

ddt – November 05, 2017 06:37PM Reply Quote
Does this (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904) overwrite/delete all your data? That is, if you do this, do you end up with a new OS but none of your apps, settings, documents? It's not clear from this.

ddt

El Jeffe – November 05, 2017 11:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes, and it's always safe to proceed as if YES...

John Willoughby – November 06, 2017 10:31AM Reply Quote
ddt
Does this (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904) overwrite/delete all your data? That is, if you do this, do you end up with a new OS but none of your apps, settings, documents? It's not clear from this.

ddt

I don't think that the reinstall macOS option will erase your apps or docs. They wouldn't include instructions on how to erase your startup disk if it happened automatically. It might replace all settings, or just macOS-related settings. I haven't done this myself, though, so please don't take my word as gospel.

ddt – November 06, 2017 11:20AM Reply Quote
Ha, yeah. An Apple support call (over an hour -- she really wanted to get through this) suggested backing up to Time Machine and reinstalling from there. But in the course of that we discovered that turning off File Vault has been going on, a week after I started the process and forgot! So maybe that has something to do with my other issues.

Now, I'm trying to make a recovery disk to boot from on a thumb drive (first problem: where did one of those tiny thumb drives go to, somewhere on my desk???? too small!), but it's not showing up, no matter which USB port I plug it into.

ddt

ddt – November 06, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
New question: tfw you realize File Vault is _still_ decrypting your internal hard drive, when you told it to start doing that last week, and the time remaining goes from 3h to 4h to more than a day to 11h but never less than 3h -- what do you do? Apple Support docs are either not very helpful or scary (from what I've found: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6804899).

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 01:44PM by ddt.

John Willoughby – November 06, 2017 03:07PM Reply Quote
I don't really have an answer, other than SuperDuper the contents to another disk. I guess that's not practicable, but your computer's behavior over the past month is the equivalent of finding "Redrum" scrawled on your wall.

ddt – November 06, 2017 03:48PM Reply Quote
Oh, THAT'S where that came from. I was wondering!

ddt

p.s. Pro tip: if you are trying Migration Assistant from a Time Machine backup and it insists on a password, and you check Keychain Access and the drive and setup _has no password_, what it means is your network or WiFi password (EVEN THOUGH you entered that data when the computer first sets up).

ddt – November 06, 2017 04:41PM Reply Quote
Update -- the Migration Assistant worked with the Time Machine backup, but it threw all sorts of errors, needing password to repair the Library, system extensions blocked -- and then, after over a dozen of dialog boxes... it didn't migrate over my preferences (the Dock didn't have my stuff, the Desktop files weren't there, it didn't know my Mail account info or Bookmarks)... what the hell, man.

ddt

John Willoughby – November 06, 2017 06:33PM Reply Quote
If your disk has been going bad for a while, then Time Machine might have copied corrupt files. I'm sorry.

ddt – November 07, 2017 01:43PM Reply Quote
In the ongoing saga... I'll say globally, that my greatest fear is doing something with my current laptop's hard drive and finding I don't have a good backup/can't restore from backup/backup is still wonky.

But I created a flash drive install disk, booted from that, ran Disk Utility, and saw the same errors on my HD as before (different codes but otherwise identical): https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/75vci1/running_first_aid_on_boot_disk_apfs_unencrypted/#bottom-comments -- invalid dstream, invalid fstree, can't be fixed.

(Side note: one issue w/ Migration Assistant -- it may in part have been bc my old laptop was taking a week to turn off FileVault that causes migration fails. The other issue seems to be something Apple docs never tell you -- it won't import preferences, Keychain, Desktop folders, etc., if the new/target computer has an existing account name as your old laptop, so you need to delete or rename the new computer's account.)

So it looks like a suggested solution is: reformat my old laptop's internal HD back to HFS+, then back to APFS (https://swissmacuser.ch/solution-fixing-macos-highsierra-apfs-issue-fsroot-tree-invalid-in-beta-17a315i/#.WdopwIZrzOQ). Does this delete my data???

I do not even know what's going on here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/49207

As for my Time Machine backups, in the System Prefs, it says that one has been "Stopping..." for a good long time, and the other is "Waiting to complete first backup". How does one check on freshness, completeness, validity? The Enter Time Machine menu item does show me a today backup on my Desktop but that's not exactly all the info I'd want to know, such as if it's in the process of updating the whole hard drive, etc.

ddt

ddt – November 07, 2017 02:19PM Reply Quote
DPBD: Anyone used Disk Warrior or similar on High Sierra? Apple Support is telling me to find something stronger than Disk Utility. https://twitter.com/ddt/status/928054204584701952

ddt

John Willoughby – November 07, 2017 02:42PM Reply Quote
I don't think that you can reformat without losing your data on that volume.

If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+.

source

El Jeffe – November 07, 2017 11:58PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I use iPod Nano 3rd Gen(s) all day long. Yesterday mine started flaking out. Won't sync w/iTunes. Corrupt. Pulled another one off the pile, it TOO won't work.
Odd, curious that two now all of a sudden won't sync and both can't be 'fixed', restarted/restored in exactly the same way. I guess I need to replace my $30 iPod with an $1,100 iPhone X is all I can determine. :)

John Willoughby – November 08, 2017 06:46AM Reply Quote
Or buy a used iPhone of much earlier generation; don't get a data plan, and use it as an iPod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login