Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

El Jeffe – October 13, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Command-Beach T-bagged Safari...

ddt – October 13, 2017 02:07PM Reply Quote
If it were consensual between parties, I'd have no objections.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – October 16, 2017 06:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, High Seirra is a dog?

John Willoughby – October 17, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I've upgraded two VM's and one MacBook. The MacBook's the only one that was APFS-capable. No problems on it so far. The VM's lost their drag-and-drop from host machine capability, but I gather that it's not unusual for this to break on upgrades and I refuse to upgrade the VMWare player to see if the problem goes away.

I've read that some people are having trouble with APFS... improperly truncated PDFs, some Adobe formats failing to save properly. No direct experience with that.

I don't know if DDT's problems with Safari are tied to the Safari upgrade or to High Sierra, or both. I haven't seen those problems.

All in all, probably best to wait for a point release or two, IMHO.

ddt – October 25, 2017 08:10AM Reply Quote
Any thoughts on any of this? http://twoangstroms.com/twoangstroms/2017/10/25

I'm really not feeling good about entering "fsck_apfs -y /dev/disk..." in Safe Mode reboot.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 25, 2017 09:13AM Reply Quote
I would find that extremely concerning, and would backup and then reformat the drive in question. Even if the drive is "fixed" by other means, I would never trust it again. I realize that's never anything that anybody wants to hear. Let's hope another Sporker has a less drastic solution.

ddt – October 25, 2017 09:54AM Reply Quote
How can I tell which drive? And I have had that -43 error before and PRAM did, IIRC, fix that.

ddt

ddt – October 25, 2017 09:55AM Reply Quote
I have been getting alerts that my Time Machine disk is full. Though I think I have multiple Time Machine partitions (I have an Airport Extreme and a Time Machine partition on my WD NAS).

ddt

John Willoughby – October 25, 2017 10:02AM Reply Quote
ddt
How can I tell which drive? And I have had that -43 error before and PRAM did, IIRC, fix that.

ddt

A good guess would be the one that locked Disk Utility up, but I don't know. Normally that single user stuff gets run on the boot volume, right?

ddt – October 25, 2017 02:32PM Reply Quote
JW, I'm not sure I understand? Been a rough week, so I'm going to go to Grade 5 level understanding. You mean if I run Disk Utility, it's looking at the hard drive inside my laptop? I sooooo do not want to have to wipe and reformat that, sigh. But not like I have a job!

ddt

ddt – October 25, 2017 02:32PM Reply Quote
what the fuck is going on with my life anyway

ddt – October 25, 2017 02:36PM Reply Quote
Anyone else have thoughts? Second opinions confirming, other directions...? Zapping the PRAM seemed to solve the -43 error -- I can put things in the Trash now, Finder windows open and populate, etc. Before that, I found Desktop wouldn't even update.

ddt

Roger – October 26, 2017 08:49AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I think your boot drive is dying. I'd back up and replace ASAP.

John Willoughby – October 26, 2017 09:15AM Reply Quote
I'm sorry that I don't have better advice, ddt. I don't know much about low-level disk stuff, but the issues that you've been having seem foreboding.

You can clear up some space for Time Machine to make a current backup. I would delete oldest backups first. I wouldn't really feel confident about saving my data until I had a Super Duper backup on an external drive. You can back up to a disk image if you cannot devote an external drive just to backups.

ddt – October 26, 2017 11:02AM Reply Quote
Ugh, thanks. Any recommendations for a drive for a late 2013 13" MBP? Is that user-replaceable?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 26, 2017 11:32AM Reply Quote
Umm. According to Other World Computing, there IS no late 2013 13" MacBook Pro. Are you sure it's a 2013? I've replaced the drive on a mid-2012 15" MBP without much difficulty, but maybe the 13" are harder.

OWC has good how-to videos for replacing drives for different models of Mac, but it's probably possible to get drives cheaper elsewhere. Maybe check NewEgg once you know what you're looking for?

[EDIT] Ha, I was wrong! If you select Late 2012 MBP, you can then select some 2013 models. The drives don't look cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 11:36AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – October 26, 2017 11:43AM Reply Quote
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.6-13-late-2013-retina-display-specs.html maybe? Oh yeah, it's the 11,1 model (submenu "Late 2013, 13-inch")

Thanks, I'll check those out.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 11:46AM by ddt.

Bruce Robertson – October 26, 2017 01:51PM Reply Quote
Can anybody explain why so many posts on Twitter now have LONG lists of @names, sometimes 50, followed finally at the end by a single sentence or word or nothing at all? These posts take up long sections of the screen on any twitter app, e.g. Tweetbot. I don't get the point of this. And there seems to be no way to automatically block or mute such posts.

ddt – October 27, 2017 06:51AM Reply Quote
I've not seen that, Bruce -- can you share screenshots?

More data points, maybe: things get a little weird with the Finder, like emptying of the Trash isn't reflected in available space shown in Finder windows.

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 27, 2017 06:53AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
ddt, based on your post, it looks like you converted your drive to APFS under High Sierra, likely by encrypting your drive after installing the first version which had a bug.

https://bombich.com/blog/2017/09/29/think-twice-before-encrypting-your-hfs-volumes-on-high-sierra

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login