Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

Mokers (Moderator) – March 23, 2017 07:19AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
ddt, I have a PC that has a blu-ray drive that I am not using... you could borrow that as long as you need.

ddt – March 23, 2017 07:21AM Reply Quote
Mokers -- thanks. I'll take a look at how I could make that work. Laptop or desktop?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – March 23, 2017 07:55AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Dell desktop pc w/ windows 10.

ddt – March 23, 2017 10:44AM Reply Quote
Thanks -- okay, no pickup on bike. I'm thinking I might be able to rip them off the PS3 to Plex, but not sure I see the solution that way yet.

ddt

Bruce Robertson – March 27, 2017 07:26PM Reply Quote
Facebook; hate it. Nothing but ads. No idea why this shit app didn't die years ago or why Zuckerberg should have a dime.
But I have a few friends on it so look in once in a while.
Is there a way to kill all the fucking ads? Easier to control in in the iOS app or when viewing Facebook via browser?
So far I strictly use the iOS app.

ddt – March 27, 2017 08:15PM Reply Quote
First, delete the iOS app. It's crap -- not up on the security issues but it's awful in so many ways.

There are plenty of browser extensions like Disconnect, Facebook Disconnect, Google Disconnect, Privacy Badger, and ad blockers. These will kill some other things like Facebook-powered comment systems (all USA Today properties use it in the local and semi-local news templates).

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 27, 2017 11:25PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
First, delete the iOS app. It's crap -- not up on the security issues but it's awful in so many ways.

Oh, I didn't know the iOS version had security holes? It's a battery hog.

Before I had adblock I was bombarded with sidebar ads on the browser version. I don't get that with the iOS version, just the subtler "paid content" stuff in the news feed.

John Willoughby – March 28, 2017 06:51AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Not Facebook-specific, but I've edited my hosts files on my Mac and Windows machines to block some of the advertisers that present their ads as content... it infuriates me if I get drawn into clicking one of those.

Taboola delenda est.

El Jeffe – March 28, 2017 07:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I do
little snitch (a LOT of work... all the time)
AdBlock
Ghostery

It causes problems with normal content 10% of the time.
And I do not do facebook. I have it and all it's content 100% blocked. Nothing from Facebook ever gets to my browser/computer. Nor linked in

ddt – March 28, 2017 07:56AM Reply Quote
Anyone updated to 10.12.4? I'm not seeing it on Software Update.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 28, 2017 08:12AM Reply Quote
I've updated a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, and a "Mac Pro" (VMWare Mac). My other VMWare Mac shows it under Updates in the App Store app, and I am about to install it there. Haven't used it much since installing, since I was doing my taxes rather than exploring features.

ddt – March 28, 2017 08:36AM Reply Quote
Huh. Wondering where I can get it. This MBP could use a good restart.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 28, 2017 08:42AM Reply Quote
Does this link work? Can't test on a Mac right now, as my virtual Mac is upgrading.

ddt – March 28, 2017 09:55AM Reply Quote
Is this the thing now, Mac OS updates via iTunes? I cannot remember; I am old.

I've been quitting and launching the App Store app, which has always been slower than a slug in mud, but it keeps eventually saying there are not updates available.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 28, 2017 10:03AM Reply Quote
I just went on Apple's support site, to see if they had a stand-alone installer. Before I found the download section (it moves around, in keeping with Apple UI brownian motion), I saw that link. Maybe that's the approved way to get a standalone installer now. Let me know if the link worked, I am curious.

ddt – March 28, 2017 10:16AM Reply Quote
That gives me "macOS 10.12.3 is already installed on this computer. Use the Updates page to install the 10.12.4 update. If you would like to download the full macOS installer, click Continue."

Not sure I want to do that. Still waiting for the OS update to show up on the Updates page.

ddt

El Jeffe – March 28, 2017 11:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
doing it now

Bruce Robertson – March 30, 2017 02:28PM Reply Quote
Getting off iOS Facebook may have helped a little.
But. Spam hitting my me.com account. Any ideas?

It has been a problem for a very long time, I don't know why the mac.com and me.com don't have decent spam control.
But they don't. I get short emails, text only, wanna have sex stuff. A few a day. Every day. Can't seem to figure out how to turn it off.
Rather frightening variation today. Pictures attached. Baggies. Heroin. Picture of biz card with phone/text. Above pictures of an automatic with clip laying next to it.

John Willoughby – March 30, 2017 05:44PM Reply Quote
If you log onto the iCloud website and go into the Email section, you can create some rules to filter the worst of it. Apple's email rule creation is very primitive, though. I think that you can set up a Gmail account to pull from your iCloud account (not sure, haven't tried this), and they have excellent spam blocking and rules-based filtering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 05:44PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – March 30, 2017 11:35PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
huh, did not know that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login