Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:51AM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

John Willoughby – June 16, 2018 02:25PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, you could try to re-format from the command line, but it would probably give you the same result with more techno-babble. I would probably try to format it on a Windows PC and if that worked, try again to format it on the Mac. But that would be a long shot. I suspect a hardware problem, and I don't think that I'd ever trust that device with important data again.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 16, 2018 06:12PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Are you trying to erase or partition ?

ddt – June 16, 2018 07:25PM Reply Quote
Yeah, it beeped a few times when I powered it up, so maybe that's something? Can't tell from the manufacturer's support docs. I was hoping to back up my old laptop to Super Duper and then clone my whole thing to a new laptop.

ddt

ddt – June 16, 2018 07:28PM Reply Quote
(btw, this is because the HD on my old laptop is damaged and so Migration Asssistant fails.)

ddt

John Willoughby – June 16, 2018 08:38PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Remember to make sure the macOS on the source disk is capable of running on the new Mac. I don't know what happens if you put 10.10.x on a machine that ships with 10.12.

ddt – June 16, 2018 11:20PM Reply Quote
Thanks.Definitely will update both. Think this hard drive may have suffered a mechanical failure. May need recommendations for a new, cheap, 1-2TB drive that can do USB-A and USB-C. Or borrow one.

ddt

El Jeffe – June 17, 2018 04:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So, I have an ongoing/continuing struggle with my (sorry Tom... B&H purchased) Drobo 5c. It sometimes corrupts multiple times a day. usually not that bad. but some days YES.
Anyways, I've taken to buy/using DiskWarrior on a regular basis.

bahamut – June 21, 2018 10:34PM Reply Quote
So I think that my canon mf8350cdn is dying. Taking a long long time to connect, failing to print some pages, etc.

I need a color multifunction laserprinter that has the best photographic quality available. Should be below $1k. Any thoughts?

ddt – June 21, 2018 11:12PM Reply Quote
Sorry, I'm not a person to ask about printers.

SuperDuper question: I bought this (through affiliate link) from B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1017872-REG/seagate_stdr2000102_backup_plus_2tb_portable.html) and would like to create a SuperDuper backup so I can migrate to another laptop. But SD doesn't recognize this as a destination drive when I plug it in via USB?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2018 01:08AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Has it been formatted/partitioned the right way?

I remember I kept getting an error when I was erasing the disk the wrong way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisJmWIUEAU

(Forgive the accent in the youtube video)

El Jeffe – June 22, 2018 06:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
accent? I work with folks from and actually around the globe on any given day/phone-call... I am almost MORE SURPRISED when there is a dialect/accent MORE like MINE! :)

ddt – June 22, 2018 08:40AM Reply Quote
Thanks! Yes, Dave Nanian got back to me and said I needed to format it properly. Love his work but I'd also love to redesign his product's interface... .

ddt

ddt – June 26, 2018 09:23AM Reply Quote
What's the best way to dispose of old hard drives that you can't mount to erase but may still contain your data? I mean, on Mr. Robot it involved a drill.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – June 26, 2018 10:36AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
That is the best way if it won't mount. Anything that will phsically break the platters. You can do a hammer as well, but that is messier.

ARL (Moderator) – June 26, 2018 10:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Probably more effective than attempting this...

ddt – June 28, 2018 04:08PM Reply Quote
Borrowed a drill!

In other news: has anyone moved their iTunes library (including podcast feeds) to Dropbox? Most articles I'm finding on this are years old, and I'm worried something's changed, or they don't account for critical things I should keep in mind to sync iTunes from an old computer to a new one.

ddt

James DeBenedetti – June 28, 2018 10:20PM Reply Quote
Why don't you sync it all through iCloud?

ddt – June 29, 2018 12:04AM Reply Quote
I don't want to have to rely on my poor bandwidth to have my iTunes library live in the cloud -- but even to upload and transfer (do I need to upload the iTunes Music folder only, or that plus iTunes Music Library.xml?), I'm not seeing iTunes in my iCloud settings in System Preferences.

ddt

Dave Loudin – July 02, 2018 09:36PM Reply Quote
In my long quest to convert vinyl to mp4, I hop between a “production” library to the main library all the time and create libraries to share with a friend. If you drag the folder (named iTunes by default) that contains the iTunes Library database file and the two folders “iTunes Media” and “Album Artwork” to a new location, then tell iTunes to open the database file in the new location (in Windows, by holding the shift key down while launching).

EDIT: This only works if you have kept all your media files in the iTunes media folder. Tell iTunes to consolidate files first if you haven’t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 09:43PM by Dave Loudin.

El Jeffe – July 20, 2018 08:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Professional Workflow advice sought.
I had a 'gig' and took thousands of photos. What is the best or few good workflows for let's call it an assignment photog for sharing photos?
My thoughts were to use my phone and cell data plan to upload SD CARD images using the Apple (or similar) lightning-to-SDCARD photo reader and share via iCloud photo sharing album.
This was frought with issues and really did not succeed. Now I wonder if there is a better/faster way to do similar via drop-box or other similar file sharing app/service.
Or, what else am I missing? Again, say I won't have access to full-fledged laptop.
Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login