Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

bahamut – January 04, 2018 06:54PM Reply Quote
Amazing that the display totally missed MagSafe 2

Dave Loudin – January 09, 2018 10:27AM Reply Quote
Well, it looks like this has hit my old home-built pc. I left it on and operating Friday only to find the two HDs going click-click-click Sunday evening. I did manage to get to starting Windows boot once, but it froze with a weird lattice displayed. Otherwise, I can’t get the BIOS to load. Sigh. Do I have a Windows 10 installer or a product key? Ha ha ha. I’m not sure what my options are, except to plunk the hard drives into my media PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 10:28AM by Dave Loudin.

John Willoughby – January 09, 2018 11:45AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Ouch. The diversity of the Windows ecosystem makes horror stories like this inevitable. I need to check my home-built PC with the new update. Sorry this bit you, Dave, I'm not a Windows-y enough guy to have any useful advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 11:46AM by John Willoughby.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 09, 2018 01:41PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
If you connect the drive to another windows system, you may be able to use a program like Regkeys to get the Key that you used.

ddt – January 15, 2018 04:19PM Reply Quote
So how do you protect against this or determine if you've been suckered? Aside from never having used a torrent (for whateeeeever reason). https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/bittorrent-users-beware-flaw-lets-hackers-control-your-computer/

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – January 15, 2018 06:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Dunno which thread to put this in but I'm after recommendations for planners/calendars/organisers and I think I've narrowed it down to:

1. Things 3
2. Fantastical 2
3. OmniFocus 2
4. Wunderlist (if I want to be cheap)
5. Evernote?

Key things for me: Clean intuitive interface (no "steep learning curve"), Categories/tasks/subtasks/tags-or-keywords, ability to keep list of finished tasks and ideally time spent on each one. That last feature seems elusive.

So it needs to be part to-do list, part calendar/planner, part project manager/tracker, part time/effort-logger.

Anyone had good/bad experience with any of these?

John Willoughby – January 16, 2018 08:32AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
ddt
So how do you protect against this or determine if you've been suckered? Aside from never having used a torrent (for whateeeeever reason). https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/bittorrent-users-beware-flaw-lets-hackers-control-your-computer/

ddt

I saw an article that said that you can tell if you have it if you check your DNS settings and there are IP's there that the malware uses. My memory was that they started with 82. and 83. At any rate, something that you did not set. I will see if I can find the article again. (I think that it was in the Apple News app.)

[EDIT]

IP's: 82.163.143.135 and 82.163.142.137

Article

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 08:35AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – January 16, 2018 01:47PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Tony,
Just saw some others within past week.
DevonThink. (pricey)
Apple's iOS App store's TODAY (bottom left) tab has more family oriented; but really, group, work team etc... should also benefits.
That lists:
picniic
Trello - which I have personally tried to work into my workflow, and failed. (web and iOS app)
FamCal
Cozi.
Treehouse (social aspect as well)
Calroo

So, personally, I use Wunderlist but not real keen on it. It just works for basic lists, but I yearn for better.
Trello is too blocky-oriented; can be a catch-all, but not quite.
I rely on NOTEs (built in) the most.
I actually preferred SplashNotes (?) when I had my Treo; and SplashPass

I still have a blended need. I THINK IN OUTLINES, but I need some way to remind/schedule/block, but at same time very much PRIORITIZE and especially with dear wife.

At work (and you can use this, too) I find MS OneNote is my TOME.

What I really would prefer is to do basic mind/thoughts and toss it to some contractor/service provider to flush out the details. There used to be a site something akin to a butler, Indian-based, like Give it to Jeeves, or something.

Maybe it was getfriday ? https://www.getfriday.com/virtual-personal-assistant/services/personal-tasks
Why not be able to toss ideas to research and go down rabbit hole to someone else?

Where I work, we had at one time a company sponsored Concierge service, and they'd do anything for you. Make key copies, order easter lillies, have dozens of dinners available at 5 pm to take home, shine shoes, coordinate oil changes, etc. It was great.

bahamut – January 18, 2018 11:41AM Reply Quote
Anybody out there play with drones? I have a DJI Phantom 2 vision plus that I crashed over a year ago and I get the gimbal obstruction error now. I need to figure out what to do with it. I've heard don't even both sending it back to DJI as they will take forever and charge and arm and a leg. Everyone I call won't repair it. So maybe put it on eBay as parts and buy a new one? If so, what's a new one to buy?

dharlow – January 18, 2018 01:13PM Reply Quote
I got a DJI Spark for Christmas it is pretty cool. You can still find the Fly More pack for 499-599 and it comes with a lot of accessories.

As for your current one did you contact someone like http://www.dronenerds.com/service/ to see if they could fix it?

El Jeffe – January 20, 2018 06:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ya'll getting your FCC credentials? Or are these the new CB radios?

El Jeffe – February 04, 2018 04:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just bought a/nother new Synology enclosure (See related BHPhoto affiliate discussion), and now, no surprise, I am looking at hard drive.(singular one-bay NAS).

As has become customary for me, I love the interactive drive evaluation site based on user-supplied benchmarks. Here are 2017 one.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

HGST continue to look very RELIABLE (to me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 04:13AM by El Jeffe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login