Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ARL (Moderator) – December 12, 2017 10:58PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sorry, what's CloudReady?

Starcraft II was what I was referring to...

bahamut – December 13, 2017 05:13AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Darwin? Are you fond of command lines?

No.

But Chromeready works nicely. Seems like a waste since there is plenty of internal storage, but so it goes.

bahamut – December 17, 2017 02:01PM Reply Quote
How would I go about finding a good MAME distribution (I am told I need MAME 2003)? A note in the quiet place would be fine.

Mokers (Moderator) – December 17, 2017 08:15PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I use OpenEmu on OS X . The experimental branch includes MAME support.

https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/releases

Has built-in support for PS3 and PS4 controllers as well.

johnny k – December 25, 2017 07:31AM Reply Quote
Any experiences with the latest (5th gen) iPad? Target's got them for $250. I've stopped using my (old) iPad since iOS 10 slowed it down, but still think I might use one for dev testing and writing. It has the same processor as my 6s Plus, with more pixels, so I can guess it's fast enough, for now.

BTW, took Gruber's advice and backed up/wiped/restored my iPhone, and all the slowness has disappeared. Never done that before. Haven't clean installed a Mac in years.

ddt – December 25, 2017 11:31AM Reply Quote
The basic iPad? I replaced my first-retina iPad with one, and it's been amazing.

Hm, maybe I should try that Gruber trick with my iPhone 6S?

ddt

johnny k – December 25, 2017 05:57PM Reply Quote
Never mind - wipe/restore made my iPad (4! Thanks, Dave Larson) responsive again. I don't get what's going on that made even keypresses lag. Rogue background processes?

ARL (Moderator) – December 26, 2017 07:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Silly question, any of you guys ever looking into buying smart routers with pre-loaded VPN software?

I'm weighing up the pros/cons of buying one pre-installed versus trying to install either the dd-wrt or tomato software manually...

Roger – December 27, 2017 08:21AM Reply Quote
I have an earlier model of WRT1900ac. It's good hardware. Signal strength/coverage are nothing special but it's stable and really doesn't break, which is a router feature I've come to treasure.

ddt – December 27, 2017 08:23AM Reply Quote
Product idea: something that could take a snapshot of how your home network (internet access, media servers, backup solutions) were set up, while ensuring network address/data privacy, and offer "no, dummy, don't route it all through one USB hub, do this instead" or a custom, human guidance option.

ddt

Cloudscout – December 27, 2017 08:56AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I like having my router separate from my WiFi access points. I'm using a PC Engines APU box running pfSense as my router.

ddt – December 28, 2017 04:52PM Reply Quote
Should I get a Thunderbolt dock? I'll need to connect my Thunderbolt (TWO) monitor, a NAS, a USB 2.0 dock, to a 2017 MBP 13-inch. My other option is to dongle the shit out of it -- connecting to the MBP a T2 to USB-C adapter, the USB-C power, USB-C to USB to the USB 2.0 dock... .

ddt

ddt – December 29, 2017 04:54PM Reply Quote
dpbd

Why would an external HD (WD MyCloud EX2, connected to MBP via Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt cable) keep accessing and grinding away constantly, even when unmounted and physically disconnected? It makes file copying or playing a file from the drive reallllly slow. It's not doing Time Machine or other backups (turned that off to see if that were the issue).

ddt

johnny k – December 30, 2017 04:28AM Reply Quote
Probably Spotlight indexing. Bane of my existence.

tomierna (Admin) – December 30, 2017 04:51PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
You should get a Thunderbolt dock to leave at your desk. That's what I did. Is your monitor actually a Thunderbolt monitor or will it work with mini-Displayport?

Additionally, you could probably take the USB-2 dock out of the picture because most multi-port USB-C docks provide a few USB-3 type-a connectors.

ddt – December 30, 2017 07:09PM Reply Quote
Tom, do you have a favorite one? My monitor is the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – December 31, 2017 02:51AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, I now have DD-WRT installed on my new router.

Noob friendly it is not - especially the installation.

However, in a few days I shall have network-wide VPN access for all my "we don't do VPNs" devices and it shall be glorious and very Geo-dodgy (or failing that, just dodgy)

Happy new year mofos!

tomierna (Admin) – December 31, 2017 02:36PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
ddt,

There are a lot of great multi-port devices out there.

I recently got this one for my bag and like it a bunch: http://amzn.to/2C0GNG9

This is the one I leave on the desk: http://amzn.to/2EpAbmy

That said, I did a quick search and can't find any multi-port USB-C docks which have Thunderbolt 2 on them. Plenty with DisplayPort though.

I think you'll have to get the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 connector to work with that display.

Weirdly, it looks like Apple's is the cheapest solution at $49. A couple other Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters exist, but they are $69-79.

ddt – December 31, 2017 04:40PM Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom. Weird that it's so hard to support Apple's own (and sole, for a long time) display!

Happy new year's eve, everyone!

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login