Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ddt – November 21, 2017 06:34AM Reply Quote
Given past bad behavior on file naming for version control, I'd think that "Twine 2x_" is an uncompleted "Twine 2x_FINAL_2_usethisone".

ddt

Cloudscout – November 21, 2017 08:59AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
johnny k
What are you doing with a second one?

My 60 year old house has a crappy HVAC system, leaving some rooms cold while others are warm. I want to make sure that the dogs are comfortable in their kennels during the day so I keep my current Twine attached to one of the kennels. That way I always know what the actual temperature is for the dogs (and get alerts if it gets too hot or too cold). The second Twine is going to go out in the garage. At the very least, it will monitor the temperature out there but I'm thinking I might actually attach it to the garage door so I can use the orientation sensor to note whether the garage is open, closed or in motion.

I also want to see if I can use the garage motion alert to trigger an event on my security camera system.

El Jeffe – November 21, 2017 01:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
johnny k
If I told you it was called Twine 2x_, how would you pronounce that? :)

Two A Sunder?

ddt – November 21, 2017 04:33PM Reply Quote
Seriously, I would read it as "Twine two x underscore" and wonder which copy editors you were out to make miserable.

Remember HoTMetaLPro,

ddt

johnny k – November 21, 2017 04:34PM Reply Quote
I want to pronounce it "two-by" so I'll probably just name it "2by" and hope people don't say toobee. I don't actually want the underscore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 04:34PM by johnny k.

ddt – November 21, 2017 05:25PM Reply Quote
The Two BUY

ddt

Cloudscout – November 24, 2017 10:09AM Reply Quote
My new (used) Twine came today but the seller neglected to remove it from their Twine account so I'm currently unable to add it to mine. I just messaged him. Hopefully he'll take care of it quickly.

johnny k – November 25, 2017 06:12AM Reply Quote
Haven't seen a request yet, but I'll watch for it.

Any recommendations for a non-cloud connected thermostat? For some reason I need four, so I don't need to multiply my expense, and I don't want to trust a cloud service which may go out or hand over data. I do need programmability at minimum, and handsomeness would be nice (which doesn't seem to be available on non-smart thermometers). I wish there was something that worked exactly like an ecobee or Nest that wasn't connected and didn't cost $100+.

ddt – November 25, 2017 11:49AM Reply Quote
My info on that is second-hand and not current but the Ars Technica commenters on stories about leaving Nest seemed to like Honeywell thermostats, so in the absence of better guidance, that might be a place to check.

ddt

Cloudscout – November 28, 2017 01:10PM Reply Quote
Well, no-go with the Twine. Apparently the seller is a thrift store or something so they weren't the original owner so they issued me a full refund.

johnny k – November 28, 2017 01:56PM Reply Quote
Ah, you should've told me. With the Twine's ID, we could look up the original owner and try contacting them.

Cloudscout – November 28, 2017 03:29PM Reply Quote
They actually issued the refund and said that I could keep the device so...

johnny k – November 28, 2017 06:13PM Reply Quote
Once you connect to it during setup, you'll be able to get the ID under the troubleshooting tab. Let's take it to http://help.supermechanical.com

ddt – December 02, 2017 05:57PM Reply Quote
If I wanted to try to wipe a Time Capsule and start fresh (use it with a new laptop I migrated to, and it was paired to the old laptop with disk and system corruption), what should I do?

ddt

John Willoughby – December 02, 2017 07:43PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
If you didn't care about (or had given up trying to retrieve) the data on the Time Capsule, you could just re-format the disk and start fresh. Deleting Time Machine data from within macOS or through the terminal takes forever, and re-formatting is very quick.

You can also back up multiple machines to the same Time Capsule; it creates a new backup image for each machine. Of course, you can run out of storage space fast if you have many machines backing up to the same Time Capsule.

From MacWorld:

Erase the Time Capsule disk

If all repair attempts fail and even deleting the disk image doesn’t make Time Machine happy, you can erase the entire disk. This procedure is easy to do and solves the vast majority of Time Capsule disk problems. But there’s a price: you lose all your Time Machine backups! So, before doing this, make sure you have another backup of your data.

To erase your Time Capsule disk, follow these steps:

Open AirPort Utility (in /Applications/Utilities/) and select your Time Capsule in the list on the left.
Click on Manual Setup, click on the Disks icon on the toolbar, and then click on the Disks tab.
Select your disk (normally this is called “Time Capsule Disk”), click on Erase, and then click on Erase two more times in the confirmation dialogs that appear.
After AirPort Utility has erased your disk, Time Machine will have to perform a full (and therefore time-consuming) backup the next time it runs.

ddt – December 03, 2017 02:47AM Reply Quote
Thanks! I wasn't seeing the disk in the Finder anywhere, and had forgotten you have to go through the AirPort Utility (of which I seem to have several versions).

ddt

bahamut – December 04, 2017 01:49PM Reply Quote
So I want to give my twelve year old son a new laptop for Christmas. He's had his 2008 Macbook 13.3" Aluminum Unibody for 3 years and is 12. He's a BIG gamer.

I think he'd glad (even excited) to go with a MS laptop, but I have never bought one of those used and would be concerned about viruses, how to get upgrades to the OS if I'm not the original owner, etc.. And I don't want to be tech support for a Windows laptop yet.

I'd prefer to spend under $750. A big drive is kind of important. Any thoughts?

I mean I see something like this … http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop---15t-gaming-1kb66av-1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 01:52PM by bahamut.

dharlow – December 04, 2017 03:19PM Reply Quote
Something seems off in that pricing on CL.

bahamut – December 04, 2017 04:01PM Reply Quote
It may be, there are scammers out there. On the other hand, I got his unibody Macbook four years ago for $225.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login