Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ddt – October 27, 2017 07:57AM Reply Quote
Tom -- I did upgrade my laptop to High Sierra, which seemed to go fine. I'm not sure about encrypting? Haven't seen any dialogs like the one in the bombich post. When opening files from an external drive I now for some get a "Verifying..." dialog, but I think that's from File Vault, as the icon is the same (and that external drive's Get Info shows it's still Mac OS Extended (Journaled)).

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 27, 2017 08:42AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Hrm. APFS was listed in your command-line log, so I thought it might have been subject to the bug. As far as I know that only manifested in the initial High Sierra release, not the subsequent updates, and only when you were encrypting (with FileVault) a volume which was previously not-encrypted.

porruka (Admin) – October 27, 2017 08:58AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Bruce Robertson
Can anybody explain why so many posts on Twitter now have LONG lists of @names, sometimes 50, followed finally at the end by a single sentence or word or nothing at all? These posts take up long sections of the screen on any twitter app, e.g. Tweetbot. I don't get the point of this. And there seems to be no way to automatically block or mute such posts.

Common spam/bot behavior, particularly since @ mentions were elided from the character counts recently.

ddt – October 27, 2017 08:59AM Reply Quote
Maybe you're right. I don't understand. File Vault says it is turned on for my laptop's hard drive.

Okay, so can I use Carbon Copy Cloner to dupe my hard drive to an external network drive (my WDMyCloudEX2, which is currently connected to my AirPort Extreme, which is connected to my laptop via Ethernet-Thundebolt cable)? And could I then restore my HD to a new laptop, which seems to have Thunderbolt 3? Or maybe I could directly connect the WDMyCloudEX2?

Also, too: after a hard reboot, Safari opened with a blank window. About 60 tabs in five windows, gone. The "Reopen All Windows From Last Session" option in the History menu is greyed out. What the fuck. How can I get any of that back without trolling for hours through my History???

ddt

John Willoughby – October 27, 2017 09:00AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
If ddt somehow has an SSD as his laptop's internal drive (I don't know if Apple shipped those in 2013), it have been converted to APFS as a part of the upgrade. I know that it will do this to non-Fusion Apple SSD's, but I am not sure about third-party SSD's.

ddt – October 27, 2017 09:07AM Reply Quote
Laptop HD:

Capacity: 500.07 GB (500,068,036,608 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: APFS
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: 1B395CBB-33BC-377E-8294-F2EEF8A2EE93
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE SSD SM0512F
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: Unknown

porruka (Admin) – October 27, 2017 09:19AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt

[snip]

Also, too: after a hard reboot, Safari opened with a blank window. About 60 tabs in five windows, gone. The "Reopen All Windows From Last Session" option in the History menu is greyed out. What the fuck. How can I get any of that back without trolling for hours through my History???

ddt

Looks like my previous post on this was eaten by Charter's HighlyVariableConnectivityService™.

Force-quit (NOT normal quit) Safari and relaunch. If the problem persists, you're screwed for the tabs. It appears that the open tab list was in an inconsistent state when you hard-rebooted.

ddt – October 27, 2017 09:28AM Reply Quote
Thanks -- kind of worked but shit, only reopened what I was trying to rebuild.

I understand the point of stress testing systems, but really, we don't need to keep pushing it with my life.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 09:29AM by ddt.

John Willoughby – October 27, 2017 12:15PM Reply Quote
Yeah, so you have an Apple SSD. My understanding is that High Sierra automatically upgrades Apple SSD's to APFS. Which would explain the single user screen that you posted, I think.

tomierna (Admin) – October 27, 2017 01:50PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I have been running betas of High Sierra for months and it did not convert my Apple SSDs to APFS.

ddt, if you are doing an upgrade from this 2013 Mac to a new one, get an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, and a short Thunderbolt cable (if you don't already have one), connect them together, and boot the old laptop in Target Disk mode. Then when you first-run your new machine (or subsequently run Migration Utility) you can copy very quickly from the old machine to the new one.

I don't advise using CCC for cloning from machine to machine. I barely advise using Disk Utility to block-clone from machine to machine anymore. Migration Assistant is great, and there is an added benefit that it will flag and move incompatible software for you on the way.

You've been sending Safari crash logs to Apple - do you have a sample of one of those? It's possible you've got some old plugins causing grief.

John Willoughby – October 27, 2017 02:22PM Reply Quote
MacWorld confirms that it is an automatic conversion if your boot volume is SSD. It wasn't during the beta.

You’re required to upgrade any SSD startup volume when you install High Sierra—there’s no way to prevent it. There was a choice to bypass migrating to APFS while installing High Sierra during the beta period. However, Apple removed that checkbox for the final release.

High Sierra converted my 2016 MacBook to APFS automatically.

I've read that Fusion drives (and rotary HD's, of course) do not convert. Apple will release APFS for Fusion drives in the future.

Here are specific instructions on how NOT to have it convert your boot volume automatically.

ddt – October 27, 2017 04:44PM Reply Quote
How would I find and read old "Report Safari hung yet again" logs?

Thanks for all the help. This has been a shiiiiiiiiit few months.

And I was going to ask about clean install v Migration Assistant. There are certainly old crufty things (I get a dialog about how Creative Suite Manager needs something each time I boot).

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 28, 2017 06:05AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
If you open Console.app there should be System Reports listed on the sidebar. I think they are in there with a .crash extension.

ddt – October 28, 2017 09:51AM Reply Quote
Thanks -- think I see .hang and .crash (I suspect it's the Safari ones that are .hang, as I had to Force Quit?). Can I upload them somewhere secure to share rather than email >3MB?

Not sure why Console keeps needing to refresh the individual file you're trying to read -- get so far into it, the app blinks, and the document is scrolled back to the top. Grrr.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 09:52AM by ddt.

ddt – October 30, 2017 04:04PM Reply Quote
So Migration Assistant doesn't copy over the OS itself, does it? I'm wondering if I have system file corruption, I don't want to transfer that over to a new computer... I mean, I don't want to do a clean install but I want just apps, settings, preferences, registrations... .

ddt

John Willoughby – October 31, 2017 05:46AM Reply Quote
It doesn't copy the OS, but it may copy some settings files. I'm not sure about that part.

ddt – October 31, 2017 10:07AM Reply Quote
Thanks, that's reassuring. So it remembers our poor choices, but forgives our sins.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 31, 2017 10:20AM Reply Quote
You may be absolved if it doesn't copy settings.

tomierna (Admin) – October 31, 2017 03:36PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
If you compress one of those files, ddt, they will probably zip to nearly nothing. You could e-mail to me if they are under a meg compressed, and I'll take a look.

ddt – October 31, 2017 03:58PM Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom -- what's the best email address?

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login