Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ARL (Moderator) – September 24, 2017 08:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, the latest iTunes update seems to have completely borked my audible audiobooks.

Thanks Apple. Although I appreciate the attempt to de-clutter, I do not like your latest iTunes update.

ddt – October 03, 2017 04:23PM Reply Quote
How can I block my browsers from making calls to anything from coinhive.com?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 03, 2017 06:11PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
On a Mac (or Windows) you can edit your hosts file to direct coinhive.com to 127.0.0.1.

You'd want to add a line that said:

127.0.0.1 coinhive.com

That will route anything that links to coinhive.com to your own computer (which will return nothing). Of course, anything that uses another domain or the direct IP won't be blocked.

Make sure to double-check your work before saving; I think that you can mess up your networking if you save something that it can't parse.

ddt – October 03, 2017 06:33PM Reply Quote
Thanks! What would I check (or double-check)? Just that I copied your text correctly? Or something else?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 04, 2017 06:52AM Reply Quote
Yeah, just make very sure that all you add is a line at the end

127.0.0.1 coinhive.com

Just make sure that you use a space rather than a tab (tabs might work, but I know that spaces do), no commas or other typos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 06:53AM by John Willoughby.

Cloudscout – October 04, 2017 11:42AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That won't help for hostnames like www.* or images.* etc.

John Willoughby – October 04, 2017 12:53PM Reply Quote
You can add any specific host, but yeah, it's not an ideal solution and you can't block a whole range of hosts with wildcards.

bahamut – October 04, 2017 01:53PM Reply Quote
what the hell is coinhive and why has it infected your Mac?

ohhhh..... now I get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 01:53PM by bahamut.

ddt – October 08, 2017 11:21AM Reply Quote
I have a late 2013 MBP with the SSD reported as "APPLE SSD SM0512F" -- it also says "Trim Support: Yes" in the System Profiler (contrary to https://www.anandtech.com/show/3762/apples-13inch-macbook-pro-early-2010-reviewed-shaking-the-cpugpu-balance/7).

a) Does this mean I have Trim enabled after updating to High Sierra?

b) If if does not mean I have Trim enabled automatically, should I enable it in Terminal?

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 10, 2017 04:47AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Your link is for a 2010 MBP. The 2013 MBP definitely supports TRIM, as you could buy it with an Apple OEM SSD (which is what yours appears to be).

Third-party SSDs may require Trim support to be forced on.

ddt – October 13, 2017 07:14AM Reply Quote
Anyone else needing to force quit latest Safari on latest High Sierra at least once a day? Getting serious beachballing when navigating to a new page at least that often.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 13, 2017 07:50AM Reply Quote
Probably not your issue, but some websites have trouble with Safari's new "Prevent cross-site tracking" feature. (The feature's not broken, but some sites use that kind of tracking.) If your beach balls always happen at the same site, try turning this off at Safari->Preferences->Privacy->Prevent cross-site tracking.

ddt – October 13, 2017 08:01AM Reply Quote
Hm, interesting. I haven't seen any "it's this and that site", but it may be a bunch of them! One interesting thing is that when I relaunch after the force quit, it's a few states behind (tabs I'd closed are open, tabs I'd opened haven't been opened) but that may not be related. Thanks!

ddt

El Jeffe – October 13, 2017 08:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
not yet on upper sierra. even upper sounds drug-connotated. :)

ddt – October 13, 2017 08:33AM Reply Quote
Well, I've been through both the Sierras and the High Sierras and they're different places, so it makes sense to me. "Middle America" has always brought up images of a flabby waist (the "middle" part), so ymmv.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 13, 2017 09:22AM Reply Quote
Don't get me started on the Grand Tetons...

El Jeffe – October 13, 2017 09:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I was just laughing because tried to replace the snicker-inducing HIGH with upper, and both have silly connotations.
Then again, what doesn't, if one searches urban dictionary, everything is a double entendre.

John Willoughby – October 13, 2017 10:05AM Reply Quote
Don't look up "El Jefe."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 10:06AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – October 13, 2017 11:51AM Reply Quote
"I heard he gave you the Purdue last night. Kink-eee!"

(I mean, it's no Rusty Venture, but still.)

ddt

ddt – October 13, 2017 11:53AM Reply Quote
Ah, hitting Command-T beachballed Safari.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login