Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

John Willoughby – August 06, 2017 02:03PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
tomierna
I've been on quite a few rides and runs with my AirPods, and even through the sweat, they stayed in my ears.

I did have one ride where the right one kept cutting out, but I think that might have been sensor related, and the constant connect/disconnect drained that side's battery to 0.

She does a lot of jumping jacks and that sort of thing. I might trust Air Pods for a run, but not for other forms of vigorous exercise.

porruka (Admin) – August 06, 2017 02:36PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
tomierna
I've been on quite a few rides and runs with my AirPods, and even through the sweat, they stayed in my ears.

I did have one ride where the right one kept cutting out, but I think that might have been sensor related, and the constant connect/disconnect drained that side's battery to 0.

She does a lot of jumping jacks and that sort of thing. I might trust Air Pods for a run, but not for other forms of vigorous exercise.

There're these that were announced concurrently with AirPods... http://bgr.com/2017/02/14/beats-x-review-best-wireless-headphones-2017/

John Willoughby – August 07, 2017 07:00AM Reply Quote
Thanks for the input, guys. May go with the Beats X, but must consult with the ultimate user.

On another subject, my iPhone now often asks for Touch ID authorization, but with no clear app asking for authorization and not while I am doing anything that should require authorization. Any body have any idea what might be prompting this? Since it involves authorization, I have vague concerns of malware, but I am not jailbroken and haven't installed anything new from the app store in a while. Started after the 10.3.3 update.

porruka (Admin) – August 07, 2017 07:47AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Thanks for the input, guys. May go with the Beats X, but must consult with the ultimate user.

On another subject, my iPhone now often asks for Touch ID authorization, but with no clear app asking for authorization and not while I am doing anything that should require authorization. Any body have any idea what might be prompting this? Since it involves authorization, I have vague concerns of malware, but I am not jailbroken and haven't installed anything new from the app store in a while. Started after the 10.3.3 update.

Do you still have any dev apps that may be trying to do App Store sandbox stuff? Are you sure it's not telling you what's asking, just poorly? Do you have family sharing set up and you're approving someone else's purchases?

John Willoughby – August 07, 2017 08:32AM Reply Quote
It's just a window with "Press Touch ID to Continue" when I am not doing anything but listening to a podcast. Seems like it happens once a day or so. I will pay more careful attention next time and get a screenshot.

johnny k – August 07, 2017 10:13AM Reply Quote
When that happens again, also check running processes and see if there are any clues there. Wonder if anything using TouchID has to register for permission.

John Willoughby – August 07, 2017 11:41AM Reply Quote
My banking app and 1Password were pretty forthright in asking permission to unlock with TouchID.

ARL (Moderator) – August 27, 2017 03:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Anyone had "unauthorised access" or suspected hacking with their LinkedIn account?

Someone accessed mine and I changed the password.

My "network" (such as it was) has been wiped but I'm trying to figure what activity the hacker did (I've had a couple of invite acceptances, one whom I think I know, one that I don't).

Nuke from orbit? Other suggestions?

porruka (Admin) – August 27, 2017 04:30PM Reply Quote
If you have any business pages (or if ones were created in your name) look at those too.

Check your sent messages for spam. Look for subscriptions enabled. Look for new/bad connected app permissions (from 2014 so not sure how closely it hews to current versions: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-remove-app-connections-on-linkedin/).

ddt – August 30, 2017 03:33PM Reply Quote
Design challenge time and I have a question about app OS features:

-- what I'd like for this app to be able to do is let users easily, in the app I'm sketching, connect data from various secure online systems. Say they have electronic receipts or data records in their health care provider system -- could I use (on iOS) TouchID and 1Password or similar to allow them, in the app, to use their fingerprint to login and suck down the data from that provider system? I can currently use TouchID to sign in to my bank's iOS app but that's first-party. If so, best primer on that (not dev, but guidelines)? If so, anything like that on Android?

ddt

johnny k – August 31, 2017 05:52AM Reply Quote
Yes, you can use LocalAuthentication to access TouchID, and then use the Keychain, etc.
(Note that Apple refers to DeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics, as if there's more than just fingerprints...
Can't help you on Android any more than a google would, but presumably at least your Samsungs will have their own APIs.

porruka (Admin) – August 31, 2017 06:46AM Reply Quote
johnny k
Yes, you can use LocalAuthentication to access TouchID, and then use the Keychain, etc.
(Note that Apple refers to DeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics, as if there's more than just fingerprints...
Can't help you on Android any more than a google would, but presumably at least your Samsungs will have their own APIs.

I'd also add that your data provider needs to have a way of accepting these credentials that you've securely stored and fetched. If you're creating a partner app/OAuth connected/first party app, sure. If you're trying to layer on top without their direct blessing, you may need to include some form of browser-based remembery - not sure about Chrome (as usual) but on iOS, look at the SafariViewController (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/sfsafariviewcontroller) or SFAuthenticationSession (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/sfauthenticationsession) instead of the WebKit base tools.

ddt – September 01, 2017 02:01PM Reply Quote
HELP! Today I've been seeing kernel_task ramp up to 300-400% of CPU. Fans spinning like crazy, laptop is hot to the touch (I think it may have physically warped, as now the screen doesn't close flush), grinding everything to a halt. I've rebooted into Single User and run fsck multiple times, and that works for a bit but then stuff gets crazy again. Especially if I have a browser open. If I try just to reboot (not to Single User), it takes forever, w/ fans going nuts.

Rebooting into Single User flashes an error message that goes by too quickly for me to read fully. Something about not being able to build a user?

This has been going on for hours. I can't do my work on deadline. Not sure what to see in console logs of system dumps? There are error messages in Console, ranging from "Detected missing constraints for " to now a string of TIC errors.

HELP!

ddt

ddt – September 01, 2017 02:27PM Reply Quote
P.S. Do NOT respond here. It seems launching a browser is related to this, or at least the browser is usually unresponsive. This took five minutes to type. Please email me if you can help: ddt at twoangstroms dot com.

Thanks in advance. This is scary.

ddt

johnny k – September 06, 2017 02:17PM Reply Quote
Maddening - something is automatically filing some emails into subfolders. Appropriate ones, so it's obviously some sort of helpful feature, but I keep missing emails that I'm waiting for in my inbox. I'm using Mail.app on Mac and iOS exclusively, and Rackspace as the provider. Anyone know what this could be?

ddt – September 06, 2017 04:37PM Reply Quote
Do you have any rules set up (Preferences/Rules)? I mean, I found a very specific one from years ago I guess I'd made to deal with one spammer. So maybe there's something old in there that's now finding a keyword?

ddt

John Willoughby – September 06, 2017 06:35PM Reply Quote

johnny k – September 07, 2017 06:50AM Reply Quote
Dang, I think it was just a Mail rule that was overly broad. Thanks. Though, it would be cool to see some sort of learning feature where it sees that you file messages like this or from this person in that folder, and then does it for you.

ddt – September 09, 2017 04:47PM Reply Quote
Took my MBP into the Apple Store and they said that they should and could replace the battery -- for $200, if I leave it for 5-7 days. I cannot leave it for days. Surprised they don't have a reserve/queue system, as I'm sure I'm not the only person like that.

They said there was more pressure on their repair chain because of the hurricanes!

I've replaced batteries in older MBPs, but iFixit is saying this model (late 2013) is a tough job, with glue.

ddt

dharlow – September 10, 2017 08:28AM Reply Quote
Not sure if you have an independant shop, but the one near me will check it, let you get it back and then have you drop it off when the part comes in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login