Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

ARL (Moderator) – May 15, 2017 03:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
CS, if it was Australia I'd be able to tell you the genuine background check resources to look up - but for NZ it seems a bit of a mine-field. Sorry :/

El Jeffe – May 24, 2017 12:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Home service providers. What works for you?

I have and continue to TRY (as in ATTEMPT, not sample)
Angie's List (local gal/firm)
HomeAdvisor
Amazon Home Services.

Damn, these all suck and are nothing more than glorified ad/tracking/walled-off-communication systems that the providers hate MORE than I hate using them.

ddt – May 24, 2017 06:29AM Reply Quote
Sad to hear that's what Angie's List has become!

The Yellow Pages? Nextdoor?

Or maybe this is a market opportunity.

ddt

ddt – June 07, 2017 03:21PM Reply Quote
This is popping up starting two days ago and I have no idea what it's for. Without knowing who/what is asking me to enter a password... I'm not gonna enter a password.

https://twitter.com/ddt/status/872608371110690816

Help?

ddt

John Willoughby – June 07, 2017 06:52PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
What domain is it asking for a password of? If it's not pr0n private.

ddt – June 07, 2017 09:10PM Reply Quote
Oh, you think it's for an open tab in mobile Safari? You see as much identification as I see. No pron on my phone (that I know of!).

ddt

John Willoughby – June 08, 2017 06:08AM Reply Quote
I don't have much to offer. Obviously, don't enter a password. See what app or app functions don't work. If they all seem to work, back up, restore to factory condition, re-install.

Maybe it's tied to the mysterious 10:47am chirp that my iPhone makes every Saturday.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2017 08:43AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt, I'd definitely look for an open tab or an app related to the redacted domain the may be opening a web view inside the app.

ddt – June 08, 2017 12:39PM Reply Quote
Thanks. It just shows zero information. I've closed a lot of tabs (all that I opened in the last week), force-quit Safari, but it'll sort out in a software update, I'm sure.

Bad design! There's got to be something in the API that allows whatever's calling it to add text identifying.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2017 12:58PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Thanks. It just shows zero information. I've closed a lot of tabs (all that I opened in the last week), force-quit Safari, but it'll sort out in a software update, I'm sure.

Bad design! There's got to be something in the API that allows whatever's calling it to add text identifying.

ddt

You're mis-assuming that it's an active request. Various HTTP authentications happen automagically on a 401 response code (expired cookie, realm change, initial login, etc). Without knowing the actual source, it's hard to say for certain this is what it is, but the requestor could actually be the system without the means to explain further.

ddt – June 08, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
Huh! I don't know those terms. What types of requests are there aside from active? Passive? How can you tell?

ddt

bahamut – June 16, 2017 06:55AM Reply Quote
So I have the new laptop here. I am wondering about best practices for migrating over. Used migration assistant to get the apps onto the new laptop but what about my user files? I think I should not copy preferences, right? So carbon copy cloner?

tomierna (Admin) – June 17, 2017 10:04AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I've been just using straight Migration Assistant since it was available.

It should be pretty quick if you can connect TB2 to TB3.

bahamut – June 18, 2017 03:55PM Reply Quote
I used Carbon Copy Cloner. Didn't want all the garbage in preferences and library that Migration Assistant would bring along …

bahamut – July 25, 2017 06:54PM Reply Quote
Helps!

I have been using an HP 800 for five years for big ass prints. Yes, it's outdated, but who cares, it was free. After about the 8th time fixing it, i couldn't get it working again. :(

So now I bought an HP 1050c Plus for $200. Yes, it's outdated, but it was $200. It works fine and is newer than the HP 800 it replaces. But I am having driver issues. Got a relatively recent driver (10.6?) off HP's web site, went into package contents, installed everything therein by hand. My Mac says it sees the printer, but the printer doesn't actually print. Any thoughts would be most welcome. I still believe it is a matter of magic incantations…

John Willoughby – August 05, 2017 10:29AM Reply Quote
Anybody have a recommendation for wireless ear buds for fairly active exercise? Air Pods probably too prone to falling out of ears. (For my daughter.) I'm not sure that such things exist, but I thought I'd ask here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 10:29AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – August 05, 2017 12:24PM Reply Quote
For a decade I've been using Moto S8/9/10 for working out. Obviously I love them.

ddt – August 05, 2017 04:21PM Reply Quote
I keep to wired ones as a failsafe for ear abandonment (I wanted to go with something like "ear defenestration" but was too lazy to go look up root words). SOL Republic has made the best-fitting and most reliable ones (they get a lot of sweat and weather exposure when used for ~12-14rs a week on the bike) but I think they're not making them any more. Wirecutter reviews have only led me to disappointments. But yeah, Apple earbuds do not stay in my ears. I've yet to find anything that stays in my ears reliably enough that I'd risk them popping out when I'm on a bike.

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – August 05, 2017 05:19PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I've been on quite a few rides and runs with my AirPods, and even through the sweat, they stayed in my ears.

I did have one ride where the right one kept cutting out, but I think that might have been sensor related, and the constant connect/disconnect drained that side's battery to 0.

El Jeffe – August 06, 2017 08:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You lost me completely at fairly rigorous..... what's that next word again? :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login