Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:51PM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

Mokers (Moderator) – August 03, 2010 03:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
HI Bruce,

I guess when I saw http and ftp as examples, I figured you were looking for network ports they were mapped to. By protocol, I thought you meant TCP or UDP, the main communications protocols. Are you trying to figure out what processes are active? Sometimes that is hard because a lot of things like ftpd and httpd are not going to show up as active unless there is an active connection.

Late edit:

Ahhh, for that sort I thing, I think it is going to be an issue with registering the protocol with launch services

Edit again:

And I have no idea how to figure out which protocols have been registered, but it would be handled by luanchd.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 03:48PM by Mokers.

Bruce Robertson – August 03, 2010 04:28PM Reply Quote
Not trying to figure out which ones are active; more trying to figure out which ones are available. This might include custom schemes. But it might include just the standard schemes. "Oooh, oooh, this looks cool, I wonder what world_destruction:// does!??"

Apparently the use of "protocol" is ambiguous.

Another term is "URL scheme"; as discussed here.

http://www.idev101.com/code/Objective-C/custom_url_schemes.html

"The scheme name (or protocol) of a URL is the first part of a URL - e.g. schemename:// ....."

Cloudscout – August 04, 2010 05:40AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
So what you want is a list of URL handlers?

Bruce Robertson – August 04, 2010 08:13AM Reply Quote
Yes, got ideas?

Sent a note to Sal Soghoian, got this:

Hmmm. Launch Services knows what schemes are registered in the OS. THere probably is a Cocoa call somewhere for retrieving that list.

Sal

On Aug 4, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

Your article on custom protocol AKA custom URL schemes, raises a related question.

Is there a way to find the list of all available URL schemes on a particular computer? Not only any custom schemes, but all the standard ones; mailto; addressbook, ical, etc.

It seems like seeing ALL these schemes, you could ask yourself - what is this one? Do I know how to use it? Would I want to know how to use it?

Bruce Robertson

Cloudscout – August 04, 2010 10:51AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm at work so I don't have access to my Mac right now but I think this might give you what you're looking for:

More Internet Preference Pane

El Jeffe – August 04, 2010 11:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
RE: Sal
MacBreak Weekly mentioned this cruise you can take with Sal and others.
http://www.geekcruises.com/top_g/mm11_top.html

ddt – August 06, 2010 07:06AM Reply Quote
Any best practices for wiping a work laptop I have to return w/ the OS installed? For work purposes (I swear) I put copies of software I have personal licenses to on it. Prob screwed about the company-domain Gmail archives.

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – August 06, 2010 07:27AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
As long as you didn't license the software for "All Users on this Machine" you can:

- Remove the Applications from your user.
- Create a new Admin user
- Delete your old user

Mokers (Moderator) – August 06, 2010 07:29AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
ddt
Any best practices for wiping a work laptop I have to return w/ the OS installed? For work purposes (I swear) I put copies of software I have personal licenses to on it. Prob screwed about the company-domain Gmail archives.

ddt

Windows or Mac OS X?

John Willoughby – August 06, 2010 07:36AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Reformat and re-install the OS.

(Stand off and nuke 'em from orbit: It's the only way to be sure.)

ddt – August 06, 2010 08:24AM Reply Quote
Haha... I knew that last one was coming. It's Snow Leopard.

I should have mentioned that they do dev image installs (sure I'm mangling the terminology); not sure they'd want to go back to a standard OS X install, but hey, how can they complain after I've left? And they can always do an image install afterwards... ?

ddt

John Willoughby – August 06, 2010 08:45AM Reply Quote
Exactly; if I worked in an IT department and we had a standard developer disk image, I'd just stamp it onto every returning machine rather than trying to pull out whatever weird software remnants left by the previous user. It also eliminates liability if the employee wants to claim later that you must have had access to his personal data because he forgot to delete his address book/bookmarks/naked self-portraits when he turned the machine in.

ddt – August 06, 2010 09:30AM Reply Quote
Cool, thanks all.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – August 06, 2010 06:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
This may sound a little (or indeed very) wanky, but I've just joined a fledgling writers group (I'm setting up their blog). Any of you text-flingers out there got any writers links or useful resources you can point me to?

At the risk of sounding even more clichéd - I'm trying to setup the blog so we can write an article where one user does the first para, another the next and so on in a neverending story (if the person before me kills off the main character - I'm bringing them back as zombies...).

Now, I want to have all the users on the site as authors rather than editors (that is, they can write/edit their own stuff but not that of others). How would you setup a single page or post where everyone has access to alter it? Bonus points for an automated way to archive each updated draft.

Am I asking too much from Wordpress?

porruka (Admin) – August 06, 2010 07:18PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Tony,

Fiction? I can point you at craploads of resources.

Para-level edit permissions? Haven't checked that one, but would be surprised to see that one in WP. Might encourage posting new content in comments, though.

ARL (Moderator) – August 06, 2010 11:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Fiction and non-fiction.

I'm thinking comments is the only way to go.

bahamut – August 07, 2010 05:25AM Reply Quote
Tony, that would be easy in Drupal. You'd simply give all the users the privileges to change the content type.

Drag N Fly – August 20, 2010 10:40AM Reply Quote
I have tried 3 times to upgrade the ram in my MacBook2,1 Intel Core Duo 2.16GHz. w/OS x 10.6.4 It currently has 2- 512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-12 by hynix I am currently trying to put in
2- 1GB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-12 by hynix. When I make the upgrade all I get is a black screen. I have tried 2 other times to upgrade the ram with other brands and got the same result. That is why I matched the ram to the same as it came with only bigger.
Thanks,
Drag N Fly

John Willoughby – August 20, 2010 10:50AM Reply Quote
I would expect it to work, but I'm ignorant of such matters. Make sure that the SIMM's are fully inserted.

Roger – August 20, 2010 01:30PM Reply Quote
Yeah, that just screams "SIMMs not fully inserted" to me. Make sure they're lining up straight, and then give them a good solid, repeated shove; or try working them in a little at a time, alternating pushing near each corner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login