Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:50PM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 09:44PM by tomierna.

ddt – May 03, 2017 02:56PM Reply Quote
It's so hot here that two public library branches have shut down until the weather changes.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 03, 2017 06:09PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

My senator. So proud.

johnny k – May 04, 2017 07:06AM Reply Quote
Love it. Want to see more of this blunt public shaming of politicians. http://twitter.com/Marmel/status/860084764635668480

John Willoughby – May 04, 2017 09:17AM Reply Quote
I will actually be grateful if the GOP destroys health care in time for the effects to be felt by the 2018 elections. Let their supporters get a good look at what they voted for.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 04, 2017 10:28AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The celebratory mood on this is a bit strange. It's all to make their egomaniac in the white house feel he has a win. I think they have almost no idea what this is going to do to the insurance markets and I wouldn't be surprised if it does such damage that we are left with medicare for all / single payer almost by default. 2018 will be interesting because it seems like this is the type of action that will galvanize the base for a long time.

John Willoughby – May 04, 2017 11:25AM Reply Quote
I haven't seen it for this iteration of TrumpCare, but I liked the people who insisted that the previous version could not be judged on all of the things that it didn't provide, as future bills would flesh it out. WTF? Can't judge a bill without considering all of the things that might be fixed in the future? Idiots. If the bill ain't complete as-is, don't submit it.

ddt – May 04, 2017 11:40AM Reply Quote
Remember there was the Republican pledge that no bill would be voted on without three days of public posting? Yeah, that was worth what that was worth.

It's certainly flooding funding for non-Republican candidates already. I'm ashamed of all the CA Republicans that voted for it.

But remember that to many people, the REALITY they know is: "Obamacare is literally killing people and will implode, Social Security is bankrupt soon, and single payer is literally the end of the country". They KNOW THIS IN THEIR HEARTS and any facts are just backfire effect fodder.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 05, 2017 04:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Silicon valley "Trapper John"-ing it in RVs. Median rent $4300 per month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0_KiM9Mv8

Sigh, I really feel that buying a run-down home in the heartland for $10,000 or even triple that would be better than living in a minivan.
Let alone, rent can be found here under $500. But not sure of how good/safe it is. But I know a condo I can walk to here was on market for $50,000 and in a nice area. Very surprising. Not a mansion, but enough for even small family.

johnny k – May 05, 2017 07:54AM Reply Quote
Hey, some people buy lottery tickets, some choose to rent an RV and crush code 80 hours a week.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2017 08:01AM Reply Quote
My fantasy was always to have a motor home with satellite internet and to be able to work wherever I wanted to be. Kids ruined that in the short-to-medium term, and realizing that underlying that fantasy was the fact that I don't want to work at all killed the rest of it.

John Willoughby – May 08, 2017 11:54AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – May 16, 2017 04:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
FFS! My neighbour directly above me is doing renovations.

With a jackhammer.

Grrr!

El Jeffe – May 17, 2017 11:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – May 18, 2017 01:01AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I misread that to be saying ARL...

ddt – May 18, 2017 04:54AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – May 18, 2017 11:58PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
IKEA
Anyone here shop, buy from them?
Anyone like/prefer their stuff?
Which things and why?
Thanks.

ARL (Moderator) – May 19, 2017 03:33AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Yes. I'm still lost in the store though. Send help.

ddt – May 19, 2017 04:43AM Reply Quote
I'm lost in the supermarket, myself. I can no longer shop happily. (If you don't get the reference, I guess we can still be friends.)

Ikea stuff is fine. It's not going to last forever, but I have some bookcases I've broken down and rebuilt through a number of moves (and that bookcase has been the subject of a few design podcasts). It's no Design Within Reach but it's not meant to be. And the company is not bad in how it treats its employees. The founder is also a bit of a fun iconoclast (in the "drives an old car and isn't fussy" way, not "throws a fit if every room isn't to his preferred temperature" way).

ddt

johnny k – May 19, 2017 06:18AM Reply Quote
The Afghan Whigs cover of that song is great. Ikea is great. Actually is more deserving of the name Design Within Reach. They have their own forests that they can harvest responsibly. They have an impressive supply chain. I used to hate the linearity of the store experience, but now with kids, it's just a fine way to spend Saturday morning, complete with bad cheap cafe food. Some parallels with Apple but more affordable, less luxury.

The stuff is not bad for what you pay. About 2/3 of our furniture is Ikea. We get beds and linens, shelving (there's a thin grey metal-and-glass one which is a great deal), and home goods. All of those are quality. I don't really like the blocky tables and shelves (Lack, or whatever), but that's more the design snob in me, and the kids' table has held up well. Just got a wood-frame bunk bed for $180. Oh, and we did get a whole set of the kitchen cabinetry. They're renowned for that, I understand. Great prices, great looking fronts, though some savvy people save money on Ikea bones and treat themselves to custom fronts - there's a bunch of companies that cater specifically to this.

ddt – May 19, 2017 08:21AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login