Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:50PM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 09:44PM by tomierna.

ddt – April 06, 2017 08:06PM Reply Quote
So the building directly behind us just burned down tonight. It's still a bit smoldering and the FD are chainsawing it to bits to get at any residual embers (wooden frame); around, they do not fuck.

I'm glad it's been raining most of the day, but when their attic apartment blew into a fireball and the wind picked up, I got a little worried.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 07, 2017 02:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not the cozy little bungalow that was on the market for sale (flyer you brought me), right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 02:05AM by El Jeffe.

ddt – April 07, 2017 07:26AM Reply Quote
I don't think so. I'll walk past it later today. I don't think it was the house that sold in a week for $1.95M. The kids downstairs at my place were terrified, and not unreasonably so. That house, less than 40m away, was engulfed, and sparks were flying.

Posted that to Twitter and Slack and not one person asked if I was okay.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 07, 2017 08:39AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Sorry, I see it now. Did not earlier. I hope you're not DEAD!!! :) :)

John Willoughby – April 07, 2017 09:48AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Sorry, Dan, I assumed from your post that you were physically well and did not even consider the traumatic side effects of something like this. I hope that this wasn't too upsetting to deal with.

ddt – April 07, 2017 10:50AM Reply Quote
Nono, everyone here is fine, I'm fine. Was just amazed that when you post on a local slack channel "hey, the house next door is on fire" the next posts are "I am thinking about moving to SF -- can you connect me for work there".

Thanks. It was worrying for a bit as sparks flew and I was realizing I do not have a Go Bag.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 08, 2017 03:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I rarely have seen ANY owls.
I saw one few minutes ago.
Is anyone aware of any OMEN that seeing an owl on one's birthday means?
My superstitious aunt surely would have told me one. All bird sightings have some root in omen-logy.

ddt – April 08, 2017 04:20AM Reply Quote
Happy birthday!

ddt

John Willoughby – April 08, 2017 10:19AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
I rarely have seen ANY owls.
I saw one few minutes ago.
Is anyone aware of any OMEN that seeing an owl on one's birthday means?
My superstitious aunt surely would have told me one. All bird sightings have some root in omen-logy.

Ummmm.... might not want to look here.

Our word augury came from the Roman practice of reading portents from the flight of birds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 10:19AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – April 08, 2017 01:34PM Reply Quote
On the other hand, Native Americans, who practiced their trade a lot closer to you than the Romans, say:

those who saw owls should take the sightings as a sign to stand back from everyday life and turn inward for wisdom found through being quiet and listening to a person's inner voice.

Happy birthday, Bill - listen to your stomach's inner voice and eat a whole cake and get some pounds on you.

ARL (Moderator) – April 12, 2017 06:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Happy birthday Jeffe (pretty owl - did you get your Hogwarts letter?)

ddt, as well as a go bag do you have a portable fire extinguisher? Handy to put out any tiny spot fires before having to really use the go bag.

(Glad your house is ok though)

El Jeffe – April 13, 2017 12:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks, Tony. Now I have Harry Potter theme running around my head. :)

El Jeffe – April 14, 2017 11:40PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
johnny k
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/supermechanical/twine-listen-to-your-world-talk-to-the-internet
Well, we've busted our asses and now it's up and we gotta keep working. This thing is going to rock. Spread the word and help us get gainfully self-employed. I'll think of something extra for Sporking backers.

I like How Stuff Works podcasts. This one is "The FitBit Story". Made me think of Twine.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-fitbit-story/id282795787?i=1000384406540&mt=2

John Willoughby – April 18, 2017 04:26AM Reply Quote

ddt – April 20, 2017 08:13AM Reply Quote
I know exactly where that is -- Jeffe, we almost walked half a block past it. Crazy, but not as crazy as the million-dollar teardowns around Palo Alto (remember how Jobs bought a house and land just to tear it down to create private open space).

ddt

El Jeffe – April 21, 2017 03:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I don't explore the redneck side of Indiana much. I mean, it's t/here... just got other things to do. :)
But, I found this hilarious...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdpL6peFE0

How I found it was that the purportedly first bear/s in 144 years (like WHO knows how many have just not been sighted!???) is being tracked in Indiana...

Pretty COOL and very very nice quality drone footage, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKtrcEEx84

No, we don't have any of them here. Not sure non-Midwesterners know that or not.

I did come nose to nose with one two years ago a bit further south in the states... stupid unintended really...
I could not see at night, and thought I'd peek through the fence with the camera and take a photo of this bear near my car/cabin... little did I know he came over to sniff me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 03:54AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – April 21, 2017 10:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
is SF power outage affecting anyone?

ddt – April 21, 2017 04:38PM Reply Quote
I heard a little bit about it, but I'm on a different power grid.

I did finally get outside, after working at my desk all day, and find that the oldman neighbor who threatened to actually did call the city on me. There's a law that says a car that's not moved at least a mile every 72 hours can be called in as "abandoned" and towed. He slapped the official sticker -- the big one, that doesn't really peel off -- right over the driver's view area on the windshield.

Anyone up on CA car law?

ddt

El Jeffe – April 21, 2017 04:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sorry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login