Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

ARL (Moderator) – May 29, 2018 12:27AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Now I know why so many US folks couldn't guess my accent:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/us-zoo-sparks-outrage-after-using-maori-dancers-to-open-australian-exhibit

Points for effort, I guess...

El Jeffe – May 29, 2018 04:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've always wanted to do a "Man on the street" interview thing where I ask questions of USAmericans that would give insight into how much most all of "us" don't know about things other than what is in front of our noses.

You'd be amazed. But in reality most people have no use for anything that does not get them through the-ir day/s.

And if you're relying on TV/News to inform them, then right now it's all about TRUMP / Russia. No time for Maori. I think the Mormons (?) educate more people in/around the USofA about Maori; at least that's where I've obtained my most information and hands-on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_Cultural_Center

This is like the biggest attraction on Oahu, and it's really cool.

Aside from that, my dad spent 20 years in the Navy (1942 - 1962) and told me a lot about the South Pacific. But, more like places like Vanaatu, Guadalcanal, Okinawa, Tarawa... all places where he was in or around battles.

Few points I think I could prove with my man on street.

1. very few in USAmerica know where Wales is and that it's a country.
2. Far fewer people know much about David Beckham.
3. David Attenborough is not widely known. As a matter of fact, Saturday to 'fill the air' at home I turned on PLANET EARTH II, where DA narrates, and it's the first time I've (not seen but) HEARD his voice.
4. Very few people have passports or use them, and more do NOW because of Canada, Mexico and Caribbean... not far flung corners. For most of my life I never knew anyone that ever spoke of travel out of the continent. Even now, working with people with good incomes, imo, no one really goes off the continent much.

USAmerica is very focused on just the stuff you need to know to get by on a daily basis. For what it's worth, many good people still survive, contribute, and are great members of society here and have relatively low "Book learnin' ". My mom I don't think ever took a plane flight. And parents never owned a computer, either.

I could go on, but gotta get to work...

johnny k – May 29, 2018 09:05AM Reply Quote
There's the short-term and the long-term "stuff you need to know". I like to mock a liberal arts education, but those portions of a well-rounded education help make us good citizens. The short-term needs of people of course need to be met before you can expect them to learn the big-picture stuff (hence free school lunches). Both political parties are largely interested in keeping the lower class scraping by and ignorant, rather than learning enough to vote all their asses out.

John Willoughby – May 29, 2018 09:31AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'm honestly impressed that the Maori got any representation here in any context.

ARL (Moderator) – May 29, 2018 11:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

David Attenborough is not widely known.

And yet Steve Irwin (aka the crocodile hunter) is/was... You've no idea how much this paradox saddens me.

bahamut – May 30, 2018 10:33PM Reply Quote
I have two passports, does that count for anything? My last US one needed to have pages added to it since it got too full. Since I got the EU passport, that's not going to happen this time. I think.

El Jeffe – May 31, 2018 05:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I gotta say, I don't even know WHERE you live.....

bahamut – June 04, 2018 09:42PM Reply Quote
Dirty Jersey!

ARL (Moderator) – June 14, 2018 08:04AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – June 14, 2018 09:57AM Reply Quote
Back in the early days of the current Afghan war, some of the German soldiers in Afghanistan put the Afrika Korps emblem (which includes a swastika) on their vehicles.

El Jeffe – June 17, 2018 04:18AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
100 plus heat index later today. (4 am now)
PERFECT TIME FOR MY/OUR AIR CONDITIONER TO SEIZE UP!!!!

But, you know, I've always wondered how much cold air those $100 windows units can put out. Once I get over this migraine, I am going to wally world to buy one some a few dozen(?). :)
The HVAC folks are booked last night, and will try to work me in today.

ddt – June 17, 2018 08:52AM Reply Quote
Ugh, that sounds rough! How's the humidity and air quality?

Last summer, in addition to a nearly 100F heat wave, we had the Santa Rosa fire ash making everything look like a heat wave in Beijing, or the end of the world, or something. I tried to sleep with an ice vest. Be safe!

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – June 17, 2018 07:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm in thermals, jumper & a beanie today. 7˚C overnight and only a maximum of 19˚C (less with wind chill).

So winter in Brisbane this year is a Monday. Last year it was a Wednesday...

John Willoughby – June 18, 2018 11:06AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
But, you know, I've always wondered how much cold air those $100 windows units can put out.

When our air conditioning broke in the middle of last summer, we bought a couple of floor-standing air conditioners for our bedrooms. Something like this, but not this model.

They helped a LOT. Being able to sleep in a room in the low 70's (Fahrenheit), after spending the day twenty degrees warmer made a terrible experience only mildly uncomfortable. One of the units failed fairly quickly, but was exchanged without issue. The only real problem was that they weigh a LOT, which is why they each continue to adorn their respective second floor bedrooms to this day. I am never trying to move them again. If we sell our house, they will convey to the buyer.

El Jeffe – June 18, 2018 12:44PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
must have worked better than the one I bought and promptly returned.

John Willoughby – June 18, 2018 01:39PM Reply Quote
Well, it definitely had to be limited to a small room. My daughter is already running hers this year, because we let the upper floor get very warm during the hot months, and she is loath to leave her room. (Teenager. Sigh.) It's a lot cheaper to cool just her room than to keep the whole floor livable.

El Jeffe – June 18, 2018 02:57PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed.

Diff topic... Just perusing San Francisco zillow... one can get a decent (enough) looking condo in SF for $200k???
https://goo.gl/EgBPVN

LATE EDIT --> HOA fees $4000 a month. Geebus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 03:02PM by El Jeffe.

ARL (Moderator) – June 18, 2018 04:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Crap. You've got me thinking I should get a portable unit just in case...

John Willoughby – June 18, 2018 07:03PM Reply Quote
ARL
Crap. You've got me thinking I should get a portable unit just in case...

They should be cheap this time of year! Always good to have a plan B, if you've got the money and storage space.

El Jeffe – June 19, 2018 03:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
and someone with muscles, it seems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login