Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:50PM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 09:44PM by tomierna.

ARL (Moderator) – January 24, 2018 01:22AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
bahamut
Yikes! My house is wired with cat 6. Going to run out of bandwidth soon!

We have 1GB down via FiOS. It’s good and rock solid.

And as a nightcap, here's a cup of my tears...

Mokers (Moderator) – February 19, 2018 07:31AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Finally upgraded my firewall to go with my gigabit connection. I run a test lab in my house, so I need some routing and other features not available in typical home routers.So I have finally been getting speeds over 125MB or so. My best speed test was at 800 Megabits down and 700 up, which isn't a full gigabit, but really I can't complain. It has been very fast and I told my wife we can't move.

dharlow – February 19, 2018 11:18PM Reply Quote
Which firewall did you go with?

Mokers (Moderator) – February 20, 2018 02:36PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I work with Sonicwalls a lot, so I picked up a used NSA 4500. I think it was like a $5K firewall when new, but you can find them on ebay for about $100. Sonicwall allows you to register them and install up to OS 5.9 without paying for additional support. The bad news is that the NSA 4500 is out of full time support, so no further updates even if you pay.

If I didn't need the advanced routing and VLANs, I was going to buy the Synology router. If something comes up and I need to replace the sonicwall, it's probably going to be a Ubiquiti edgerouter Lite or pro.

dharlow – February 20, 2018 09:45PM Reply Quote
I have the Ubiquiti USG pared with an Untangle box (running for filtering) and been liking the combo a lot.

tomierna (Admin) – February 21, 2018 09:29AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'm a big fan of pfSense, with whatever PC hardware and ethernet adapters which will handle the load.

Cloudscout – February 21, 2018 10:10AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I second the pfSense endorsement. I run it on a PC Engines APU2.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 21, 2018 12:40PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
pfsense is great but I was surprised at the hardware you need to get 1gigabit throughput.

dharlow – February 22, 2018 03:25PM Reply Quote
I am able to pull 1Gig on my USG (just the little one) and with filtering with the Untangle box (it is an i5).

Mokers (Moderator) – February 23, 2018 08:52AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
i5 + mobo + ram + storage is more than I paid for the sonicwall. I actually had an i7 in micro case laying around, but then it won't fit into my rack cabinet. Downside is that it is not as customizable and I think being able to do the commands by hand really helps when learning complex networks. I think when my kids are older and I reclaim some of my time, I will go with a custome pfsense box though.

El Jeffe – March 02, 2018 12:14AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Geeking out this week with my son, who's doing his undergrad at same time as grad work now.
I don't recall "load cells" when I was young (14 or so) an getting into electronics. And my eyes have gotten so bad, and PC boards so small, but I pulled off being able to solder up some stuff onto a PC board. And really ugly/basic woodwork and such. He put it all together with an arduino, and programming skills to make an electronic scale.

This is where I get teary-eyed and wish I was young again and he and I were lab partners. I geek out so much on this stuff. I would have tossed in reason to 3D-print something. (CS!!!!)
https://imgur.com/a/axepy

ddt – April 15, 2018 12:07PM Reply Quote
Go, Indiana!

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 04:34PM by tomierna.

Cloudscout – April 15, 2018 12:08PM Reply Quote
That is awesome!

ARL (Moderator) – April 17, 2018 02:56AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I don't know if you guys in the northern hemisphere are still having all of those polar vortexes and nasty cold snaps.

It seems Australia has stolen your summer permanently:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-17/april-heatwave-why-autumn-has-felt-more-like-summer/9664122

El Jeffe – April 17, 2018 12:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yes, crazy but snowing and snowing and snowing and snowing..

John Willoughby – April 17, 2018 12:49PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Australia has been trying to spit humanity out like watermelon seeds for 40,000 years.

ARL (Moderator) – April 18, 2018 02:29AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I resemble that insinuation!

Cloudscout – April 19, 2018 08:06AM Reply Quote
We got 16-22 inches of snow on April 14-15. This is now the snowiest April we've ever had.

John Willoughby – April 19, 2018 08:08AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, April 15 is supposed to be taxing...

Mokers (Moderator) – April 19, 2018 09:01AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
John Willoughby
Well, April 15 is supposed to be taxing...

Beautiful

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login