Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:50PM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 09:44PM by tomierna.

El Jeffe – September 12, 2017 11:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Glad to hear you're coping what seems like fine/ok.

John Willoughby – September 13, 2017 12:57PM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
Dad's got internet back. Dad jokes and conservative political chain emails of dubious reliability beginning to hit my inbox.

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2017 04:05PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Dad's got internet back. Dad jokes and conservative political chain emails of dubious reliability beginning to hit my inbox.

This is where I'm thankful my Dad can barely even "goggle" (his words, not mine).

El Jeffe – September 18, 2017 12:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jury Duty today.

ARL (Moderator) – September 18, 2017 02:09AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Don't hang them, Jefe

El Jeffe – September 18, 2017 10:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
There for hours. Participated in jury selection. Was not chosen. Was dismissed for the day.
Murder plus attempted murder case.
I had to be honest in my jury questionnaire... I question my ability, due to my nagging nausea/vomiting/et al, to be able to make it through a multi-day trial.
So much procedure... taking so much time.
If we can make our airports like super-dining and shopping centers, why can't we make our justice system just a WEE BIT like that? 21st century customer focus, wifi, fresh quac asking too much. :)

John Willoughby – September 18, 2017 11:34AM Reply Quote
I'm amazed at the "good citizens" who brag about how they get out of jury duty, sometimes even giving up the right to vote just to avoid being summoned.

I've never been called, except when I was out of state at college, and I expect that I will hate the process, but I feel like it's a duty. Part of being a citizen.
Maybe I'll feel differently once I've been through the process, but I don't think so. It's like paying taxes, part of what you owe your country.

Sorry for the ordeal, El Jeffe. Interfacing with bureaucracy always seems to go that way. Better luck tomorrow.

El Jeffe – September 18, 2017 12:13PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I agree. I appreciated the last time I served.
But I was a bit concerned because both prosecutor and defense kept asking us/folks what level of evidence they could tolerate.
Sounded like some very graphic photos and testimony.

ARL (Moderator) – September 20, 2017 03:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
26 degrees today. A nice typical September day.

The next few days after that are:

& 29...

Three weeks ago it was officially winter.

NOT normal, NOT happy!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 03:34PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – September 20, 2017 04:22PM Reply Quote
It's okay. Fake climate. Chinese conspiracy.

ddt – September 20, 2017 04:30PM Reply Quote
Ugh. Feel you, ARL.

We had over 100F weather in the SF area, little cooling at night, on top of air quality that was deemed "look, don't breathe at all if you can avoid it" across the region. Had trouble seeing two blocks in the haze. Everything felt and tasted like ash.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 21, 2017 12:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
buy property more north (in our hemi) before someone else does.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2017 07:04AM Reply Quote
There's some prime Antarctic seafront property opening up...

John Willoughby – September 21, 2017 10:46AM Reply Quote
Well, my local Apple Store got a lot fancier! Oh. I guess that's my local Apple "Town Square."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 10:48AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – September 21, 2017 12:36PM Reply Quote
Yeah, same here.

No Genius Bar! So if you need service, you check in with the person at the door, who tells you to go stand by this or that random table. That seems inefficient, though an employee swore it was more. But still produced anxiety in at least one customer (me!), wondering how anyone would find me in my hour of need.

ddt

dharlow – September 21, 2017 01:00PM Reply Quote
Since I was just there yesterday I got to experience this, it is more efficient in that they don't have to search for you but it also means you can not walk around and look at stuff to buy and considering they were running 30+ mins late if I did not have my laptop I would have been bored.

However I also feel that support in general at the Apple Store has gotten worse, I went in for a iPhone 6s battery replacement under the shutdown program, and the guy swore up and down that all tests were fine and that it did not need to be replaced, even though I showed him the page with the serial numbered entered saying that the phone was one of the ones impacted, he said it was probably a software issue and had the phone erased and then left me then to re-set it up. During the setup of course the phone powered off suddenly, by then the Genius was nowhere to be found and so I had to hunt down someone and be bumped back up to the top, which then that Genius told me the same thing the tests were fine it was probably software, etc. until he saw it for himself and agreed to replace the battery under the program. What should of been a 10 min drop off turned into a 2.5 hour ordeal.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2017 01:14PM Reply Quote
dharlow
Since I was just there yesterday I got to experience this, it is more efficient in that they don't have to search for you but it also means you can not walk around and look at stuff to buy and considering they were running 30+ mins late if I did not have my laptop I would have been bored.

However I also feel that support in general at the Apple Store has gotten worse, I went in for a iPhone 6s battery replacement under the shutdown program, and the guy swore up and down that all tests were fine and that it did not need to be replaced, even though I showed him the page with the serial numbered entered saying that the phone was one of the ones impacted, he said it was probably a software issue and had the phone erased and then left me then to re-set it up. During the setup of course the phone powered off suddenly, by then the Genius was nowhere to be found and so I had to hunt down someone and be bumped back up to the top, which then that Genius told me the same thing the tests were fine it was probably software, etc. until he saw it for himself and agreed to replace the battery under the program. What should of been a 10 min drop off turned into a 2.5 hour ordeal.

I had a poor experience recently, with my daughter's broken BeatsX headphones. The way that they handled the repair/replace was fine, but trying to sit around a too-crowded table while geniuses tried to walk mystified elderly people through basic problem resolutions was very uncomfortable and tedious. I much prefer the old process.

dharlow – September 21, 2017 01:25PM Reply Quote
Yes that too, I had that happen right next to me, and the tables are small and the seats are horrible. I feel sorry for all the Apple employees who will have to sit in the new Ive designed seats at the new Apple campus.

Personally I think they should just message your phone with a pick of the Genius and tell you go to go the bar when it is your turn so you can wander the store.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
dharlow
Personally I think they should just message your phone with a pick of the Genius and tell you go to go the bar when it is your turn so you can wander the store.

Wasn't that how it used to be? I'm glad that my Apple Store has much more space now, but I am not a fan of the "Town Square." I don't want to mingle with other people with Apple problems; I want my problem taken care of. And if I can't even browse while waiting, they're losing sales.

dharlow – September 21, 2017 02:42PM Reply Quote
I don't know as last time I was in it was sit at the Genius bar till you were helped and that is when I had a client's iPad go bad. I have always taken my Macs to a local reseller/repair shop http://www.di-no.com/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login