Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

porruka (Admin) – September 08, 2017 11:51AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
My daughter and her mother are similar to Tom (though further inland, south of Orlando). Basically holding tight -- expected to weaken to (only!) Cat 2 by the time it reaches that part of the state. No realistic options of going anywhere, so sit they do...

John Willoughby – September 08, 2017 01:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
He'd made reservations at an Orlando-area motel last weekend, but he says that when he called them yesterday they had lost the reservations and had no vacancies. He wasn't able to find any other reservations for Saturday and Sunday at this late date. I'm not sure how hard he looked; it's getting harder for him to travel now that he's in his mid-eighties. I still wish he'd found someplace inland.

John Willoughby – September 08, 2017 01:25PM Reply Quote
porruka
My daughter and her mother are similar to Tom (though further inland, south of Orlando). Basically holding tight -- expected to weaken to (only!) Cat 2 by the time it reaches that part of the state. No realistic options of going anywhere, so sit they do...

I didn't think about your Florida family, Porruka! I think that they'll be okay that far inland, though flooding will be a problem everywhere.

ddt – September 08, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
Whoa -- good luck to you all. Can't imagine.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 08, 2017 01:50PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I spent 9 hours staring at same car for hurricane Floyd bug-out.

Cloudscout – September 08, 2017 02:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
My wife and I are supposed to be heading to Orlando on the 16th and then we're supposed to be on 7-night cruise the next day... that's assuming that whatever damage Irma may cause to the airport and the cruise terminal can be repaired in time.

We were talking about what we will do in various scenarios... if the cruise gets canceled but our flight doesn't, we might go down there and just help friends with any cleanup/repair that may be needed.

John Willoughby – September 09, 2017 02:21PM Reply Quote
My dad's in a mandatory evacuation zone. Not going to leave. Sigh.

bahamut – September 10, 2017 01:10AM Reply Quote
Ugh, sorry to hear that JW.

Models have Jose barreling up the coast toward NYC. Would first do substantially more wind damage to Florida.

I said Jose.

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2017 06:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Stay safe y'all...

(Did I get "y'all" right?)

bahamut – September 10, 2017 10:13PM Reply Quote
Seems like Irma is survivable if seriously disruptive and annoying...Models for Jose have it a fish storm.

El Jeffe – September 11, 2017 04:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hurricane comparison video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxKH_v8b-8

porruka (Admin) – September 11, 2017 10:22AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
All safe from my Florida contingent.

johnny k – September 11, 2017 11:13AM Reply Quote
Good. How's everyone else doing, Tom, JW dad?

ARL
(Did I get "y'all" right?)

Yes.

John Willoughby – September 11, 2017 11:41AM Reply Quote
My dad has no power, and has lost his dock, but otherwise he's good. Now to see if getting power/internet back takes hours, days or weeks.

Cloudscout – September 11, 2017 01:15PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
One of the couples we're supposed to go on our cruise with next week is in the Tampa area. They're elderly and we haven't heard from them yet.

tomierna (Admin) – September 12, 2017 01:50PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Since Sunday 10pm we have been without power. Our house has a metal roof, and without power there is no internet, and without internet there is no cell phone repeater. With no cell repeater, batteries drain faster hunting for signal.

The last two days have been a challenge, but we had no property damage, and no injuries.

I have been scheduled to leave to San Diego today, and I’m on the flight right now. That means my wife is going to be dealing with the power outage alone.

ddt – September 12, 2017 01:55PM Reply Quote
Hope you all stay safe and relatively dry -- and healthy. You're welcome to crash here in Oakland, though not sure that'd help the family back home.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 12, 2017 01:55PM Reply Quote
Sorry for the circumstances, Tom. My dad has power, but no internet at this point. No ETA on the internet, but he got off so easily that I am not going to complain. About this. For a few weeks, anyway.

tomierna (Admin) – September 12, 2017 02:00PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Thanks for the thoughts. It’s glamping at this point - we are on a well, so no power also means no shower.

Glad your dad is ok!

cloudscout, here is Teco’s outage map. 40% or so still without power in my area, so maybe this applies to your cruise mates?

Edit: here’s that link: http://www.tampaelectric.com/residential/outages/outagemap/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 02:02PM by tomierna.

tomierna (Admin) – September 12, 2017 02:01PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Also, it bends the mind that I have better internet at 30,000 feet than my home does right now :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login