Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 08:50PM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 09:44PM by tomierna.

tliet – July 16, 2011 08:23PM Reply Quote
On Friday afternoon, one iconic radio/TV tower up north in the Netherlands caught fire in the top. As it was burning some 170 meters high the local fire brigade couldn't do more than watch.

It didn't take long for it to collapse, pretty spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxLvEoP_jLM

As the tower in the centre of the country also battled with a small fire on Friday morning, half the country is now without broadcast radio/tv. I wonder what positive effects it will have ;-)

Cloudscout – July 17, 2011 06:16PM Reply Quote
˙pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ ɥʇıʍ ƃuoɹʍ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos sı ǝɹǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇ ı ?ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ʎɯ ɥʇıʍ ǝɯ dlǝɥ ǝuoǝɯos uɐɔ
Current temp: 82ºF
Current dewpoint: 81ºF

This is some seriously unpleasant weather.

tliet – July 17, 2011 07:38PM Reply Quote
Wanna trade?

60 degrees and storm... For the whole week ;-)

Simon – July 17, 2011 11:05PM Reply Quote
I submitted my resignation today. It's been a long time coming. But on thursday night I was told by the real estate agent that the owner of the place I was living wants to renovate so i have a couple of months to leave. The problem is that the guys i was sharing with is moving out this weekend to live with his fiance. Ultimately I decided that since I'll be packing all my stuff and moving anyway, I might was well move to sydney since that's something I've been wanting to do for ages anyway, I was just hoping to find a job first and then move.

So over the weekend I made sure all the utilities will be disconnected at the end of this week, ADSL? check, gas? check, electricity? check (water is the landlords problem). Today I realised that this means I won't be able to download and install Lion when it comes out. I wonder if I'll be able to download it at the apple store?

Cloudscout – July 18, 2011 04:24AM Reply Quote
˙pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɯ ɥʇıʍ ƃuoɹʍ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos sı ǝɹǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇ ı ?ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ʎɯ ɥʇıʍ ǝɯ dlǝɥ ǝuoǝɯos uɐɔ
tliet
Wanna trade?

60 degrees and storm... For the whole week ;-)

Gladly. It's going to be in the 90s with high humidity and storms all week here.

Congrats and good luck, Simon!

tliet – July 18, 2011 07:55AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout; Ugh, indeed, that doesn't sound appealing.

Simon, great decision!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 07:56AM by tliet.

Jeff Cooper – July 18, 2011 08:07AM Reply Quote
Best of luck with the move, Simon.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2011 10:10AM Reply Quote
"You can't tourniquet the taint."
Good luck in the new digs, Simon.

Tony Leggett (Moderator) – July 18, 2011 05:20PM Reply Quote
You'll be happier in Brisbane Simon - but good luck with the Sydney move nonetheless...

ddt – July 18, 2011 07:18PM Reply Quote
That's brave, Simon -- best of luck!

ddt

Simon – July 19, 2011 08:54PM Reply Quote
Thanks guys. Within a day of resigning I already have a company interested in speaking to me about full time work, so things are looking pretty good so far.

Is that because I get to hang out with you Tony?

Tony Leggett (Moderator) – July 19, 2011 09:41PM Reply Quote

Is that because I get to hang out with you Tony?

Of course!

YMMV though. You might like Sydney - I've never been to Perth so I have no basis for comparison.

Sydney has just been run down and neglected ever since the Olympics. It's very big and very crowded with terrible traffic and even worse public transport. After 13 years in Sydney I personally found Brisbane a breath of fresh air - but I was very lucky with the suburb I picked up here. Not sure I'd feel the same way if I'd moved to Logan or Forest Lake.

johnny k – July 21, 2011 04:38AM Reply Quote
Let us know how it goes, Simon. I'll keep you in mind in case I run across friends' needs for UI/icon design.

A friend's last day working for Belkin was yesterday - he quit to start his own design practice. We're working together consulting on some startup, so that gave him some support to make the leap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 04:40AM by johnny k.

ddt – July 21, 2011 08:45AM Reply Quote
And good luck to JK, too... and remember your recently graduated friends who might be looking for work someday!

(Sorry, I've been advised I need to be assertive in that sort of thing, but it's hard not to overshoot to annoying.)

ddt

porruka (Admin) – July 21, 2011 10:03AM Reply Quote
ddt
And good luck to JK, too... and remember your recently graduated friends who might be looking for work someday!

(Sorry, I've been advised I need to be assertive in that sort of thing, but it's hard not to overshoot to annoying.)

ddt

Not to speak for anyone in particular, but I suspect there is a huge pool of talent here (both employed and unemployed) that might be worth trolling when startups (or others) are in need of talent.

johnny k – July 21, 2011 10:52AM Reply Quote
Oh yeah, I'm a connector. Don't worry, I keep that stuff in mind. I think I owe you a response to your last email, ddt - just been deluged lately in email to the point I want to pull a Knuth. I have a couple of friends in the Bay working for design consultancies that might be a fit for you.

ddt – July 21, 2011 07:36PM Reply Quote
Thanks -- especially for that link. I'd never heard that story before, and am surprised that it was ever "soft-ware", which makes zero grammatical sense (in English, a compound noun would be non-hyphenated, though hyphenated if used as a compound adjective). And he has/had the same email procedure as my dad! But for different reasons; my dad's office lived in fear of him ever touching a computer, because he'd just hit buttons until something... usually something that was not good... happened. So his secretary would print out emails, and he'd respond by dictating to her to type.

ddt

Tony Leggett (Moderator) – July 21, 2011 08:14PM Reply Quote
A few years ago my Dad discovered email and the internet. He announced one day he'd spent the afternoon goggling (misspelling intentional).

ddt – July 21, 2011 10:12PM Reply Quote
Okay, Finland: it's Wisconsin with better architecture and without farm-basket neighbors.

ddt

tliet – July 22, 2011 11:37AM Reply Quote
Email has a different meaning in our language, it's a rather old fashioned way of protecting pans and pots from scratching up too much.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Austria_Email.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 11:37AM by tliet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login