Spork Boards

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 05:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

porruka (Admin) – October 06, 2017 09:56AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Naive question: what's the difference between "certified pre-owned" and "used", especially when the "used" is being sold from a dealer?

Part marketing, part legit process. CPO usually includes some form of additional warranty that "used" commonly does not.

El Jeffe – October 06, 2017 10:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just test drove a CPO toyota today.
there is an age limit to the car. Mileage limit. More thorough inspections. Extends the factory warranty. Some cover everything for 12 months; then whichever comes first in age or mileage. Some say they can not have had an accident and some say only one prior owner.
They are more checked-out and covered by more of a warranty. And usually about $1200 - $2000 more for comparative vehicles.

ddt – October 06, 2017 10:54AM Reply Quote
Thanks. That's kind of what I'd expected -- knowing what range of extra cost is helpful.

In exchange, I will share that the DB in Aston Martin DB stands for David Brown (a manufacturer and driver), according to Jalopnik.

Cloudscout – October 06, 2017 03:14PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Certified typically requires meeting manufacturer-mandated criteria.

bahamut – October 06, 2017 04:51PM Reply Quote
You can do your math on certified. If it's not CPO and it's at the dealer, then you have to ask why it isn't CPO. Something has to be wrong. Dealers will buy cars at auction and then CPO them, so something is up.

In my case, I CPO'd my car when I wanted to keep it after it went off lease.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 09, 2017 09:35AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I prefer CPO because it typically extends the factory warranty, giving you a bit of extra assurance, especially if you aren't like Jeffe and can replace major vehicle components yourself...

Say you buy a car that has a 3 year/ 36K mile warranty. You buy it in year 2 with 24K miles. Used car gets you 1 year and 12000 miles. CPO will typically extend that another year and 12000 miles (depends on manufacturer), so you have 2 years and 24K miles left. It does cost extra, but the extra certification does buy some piece of mind.

Like Baha said, If a car is put together well, there is no reason for a dealer not to CPO it right away since it means a higher transaction value for them. This can vary from dealer. Some may not think it is worth it if they can sell the car right away. We bought our Pilot from Berkeley Honda. It was being sold used, but we asked for them to CPO it. It took an extra day.

ddt – October 09, 2017 11:37AM Reply Quote
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know you could find a "Used" listing and if it's at a dealer, ask them to CPO it. I guess they hear that as "free money", but you also get something out of it.

Where do you go to look up model/make reliability stats? Aside from Consumer Reports.

(Still, think I'm going to wait as long as possible before I get another car, which could be months. Kind of feeling good about not having one more thing to worry about.)

dharlow – October 09, 2017 12:14PM Reply Quote
I have made out pretty good with the extended warranties myself, my last car was at Carmax bought the extended warranty for 1.5K and easily have gotten way more back in that and it warrantied it to 125K or 6yrs.

El Jeffe – October 17, 2017 02:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Bought "sight unseen" (I did not drive it nor have I even seen it in daylight yet) a 2017 CR-V to replace my Camry that was considered a total loss from a very minor looking curb-kiss last month.
I just did not want another used car I had to worry about maintenance items on. Mine is the most absolute base LX AWD. Bought it for the seating position/visibility in front hemisphere. Rearward visibility is still modern-SUV-restricted, sadly.

ddt – October 17, 2017 07:54AM Reply Quote
Hope it bores you with its reliability, Jefe!

But yes, what is it with modern car design where visibility is seen as a negative? Raised (bottom of the windows, whatever that's called), rooflines swooping down, making you feel like you're in metal rather than glass.

John Willoughby – October 17, 2017 10:48AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
...what is it with modern car design where visibility is seen as a negative?

I think that's what biplane pilots said about more modern aircraft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 10:48AM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – October 17, 2017 12:55PM Reply Quote
My experience has been that the dealer won't CPO a car on their lot if it's not already CPO. How much does it cost them? Nothing. So why not do it? If It's not CPO and it's at the dealer, something is up.

In my case, however, I had my car since it's incept date. So asking the dealer to CPO was logical.

El Jeffe – November 03, 2017 02:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
beleaguered Tesla

John Willoughby – November 03, 2017 06:57AM Reply Quote
I sold my Tesla stock a couple of weeks ago, so I guess that I'm part of the problem.

John Willoughby – November 03, 2017 06:59AM Reply Quote
The GOP's proposing revoking the $7,500 tax credit for purchasing electric vehicles. Just when they were getting a solid toehold. We'll be decades recovering from this government.

dharlow – November 03, 2017 07:16AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
We'll be decades recovering from this government.

You are optimistic, another group I am on is betting about 50+ years or so it will take to recover if ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 07:16AM by dharlow.

El Jeffe – November 03, 2017 10:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like Tesla. I encouraged my son to try and intern with them. He got a way better deal. I think their CEO is 'ok'. I also think he's benefitted more than is appropriate from various electrification schemes. I love EVs, well, I like MANY different vehicles... but I think we can say the race is on, and EV makers can stand on their own. States, being sovereign, can decide what they may. No problem.

ddt – November 03, 2017 11:04AM Reply Quote
Very glad to see the GM Bolt numbers. Encouraged to see EVs designed for the mass market, not the tech elite (and I include the Tesla 3 in that -- even though it's planned to be cheaper when it ships, the experience and design of how you fit in the car is intentionally not Everyman).

El Jeffe – November 03, 2017 11:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I love the BOLT EV. I think it's a great great design.

ddt – November 03, 2017 11:45AM Reply Quote
It's kind of the shape and maybe 80% the size of what I'd hoped the Tesla 3 would go for: city utility, almost European standard minivan. The Bolt is a little too busy with the sheetmetal creasing, but overall, yeah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login