rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 05:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

Mokers (Moderator) – September 01, 2016 08:46AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Jeffe,

What do you think about the death of the FCA minivans? I actually really like the Pacifica and we would likely have had a T&C in the driveway if the wife wasn't so anti-minivan.

El Jeffe – September 01, 2016 09:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I told I think both Ralph Gilles (FCA design chief) and Tim Kuniskis (Dodge brand head) I think they should keep the mainstream Caravan only.
But, the Pacifica seems decent. I have not driven one. Sat in two or three. But, you're asking a guy who had THREE chrysler minivans at same time. And I still drive the 96 daily.
Even bought the 1996 car of the year issue of Motor Trend last week. AND my review was in the regular 96 MT issue of said van. :)

I think they are supremely useful.
And as of last 24 hours, my son accepted a co-op with FCA.

My daily is at 195,xxx miles this week, and rides and drives fine. Not super-great, but pretty good.

So, in short, I am personally a big fan of their practicality.

ghidorah – September 07, 2016 07:23PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
sweet! FCA is a growing company with a fantastic history. Current Charger is one of the best american cars ever built.

El Jeffe – September 08, 2016 12:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am on pins and needles praying and hoping he find his niche. Excited, and trying to SUPER supportive and encouraging during this time. Took him shopping for clothes to look sharp. Not SURE what the dress code dictates.
He has a speech impediment and body issue, so, I think at least getting nice fitting, looking clothes will help him by eliminating his concern about how he looks at least.
I told him he is starting off with one of the best opportunities of anyone I know of. And they probably expect skills commensurate with a recent HS grad, and being 18. He has taken a huge step into self-sufficiency.

On a FUN note, I follow FCA youtube... and yesterday they showed how they let employees (hourly and salaried I s'pose) take out cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRbfBc4YTY
This was at Auburn Hills, where HE will be working. Plus, his job will likely take him to death valley or other hot places to do heat testing of cars. COOL! (errr HOT!)

I noted salaried vs hourly. His uncle (my BIL) already said "Yeah, you're on the OTHER SIDE, now"... I have been in the UAW hourly ranks, and all my family is/was/were... but I still do NOT get the we vs they attitude. Again, I worked at but long AFTER it happened, the factory where disruptions caused martial law to be enacted. https://goo.gl/Mhfyax But, I would hope such things would have improved.

My son will be close to a long time friend in Detroit, and some cousins. My one cousin was the prosecutor that put Detroit's mayor behind bars. https://goo.gl/MjpzoU

I have met and talked with FCA's global head of design, Ralph Gilles numerous times. And Dodge brand chief Tim Kuniskis. And other folks, too. Never planned or expected son to work for them. But, interesting, nonetheless.

johnny k – September 08, 2016 09:35AM Reply Quote
Wow, awesome, Jeffe! What kind of work will he be doing/what does he think he wants to do?

El Jeffe – September 08, 2016 02:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
He actually looked at and turned down an offer from Bosch, that was in diesel injection systems. He really liked the idea of that. But the overall opportunity at FCA he liked.
That department is aerodynamics and thermodynamics. Not sure of anything more specific than that. Again, I think it's a great first step for his future. Next two weeks will be busy getting him situated.

bahamut – September 25, 2016 05:22PM Reply Quote
Why is Ted Cruz in that funny hat and overalls?

El Jeffe – October 03, 2016 01:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Universe is back to not hating me so much.
More to come >>>>>

El Jeffe
I've been applying for and waiting for Top Gear UK studio audience tickets for YEARS....
and I JUST WON TWO (one pair!)!!!!
And it's same night my son graduates from High School!!!

THE UNIVERSE HATES ME!!!

I also sold my motorcycle and sat on the cash JUST FOR THIS DAY!!!

I'm really hoping he flunks some tests... yeah, that's it flunks something.! :)

John Willoughby – October 03, 2016 01:22PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I'm glad that the Universe dislikes you less, El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – October 07, 2016 12:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Back to hates... :(

ddt – January 23, 2017 04:44PM Reply Quote
So I _do_ remember how to change a car tire. In the dark. Once I find the jack. It was dark. Only some rain.

ddt

El Jeffe – January 24, 2017 04:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
good. i spent all weekend trying to get ONE lug nut off one of mine. still failed. still trying.

ddt – January 24, 2017 05:34AM Reply Quote
Ugh, that sounds tough -- frozen nuts can lead to stripped nuts.

Can you drive over to the Indy racetrack and but a pit crew?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – January 24, 2017 09:15AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I have AAA, but mostly for towing. I am pretty sure I can do my own tire, although I am not sure I would do a driver's side tire on the side of the highway...

dharlow – January 24, 2017 11:55AM Reply Quote
Last time I had a flat was in the rain storms 10 years ago or so. I got soaked to the bone and still could not get the tire off because they had used an impact driver to put it on. Called AAA they had it done in 10 mins after that swore I would never bother changing a tire again.

ddt – January 24, 2017 04:59PM Reply Quote
Yikes, Daniel -- that sounds awful. I just got a little rained on.

The funny thing is, is that when I pulled over, there was an AAA truck parked right across the street from me (small street; I guess he was taking a break). I wanted to call AAA to make sure I was paid up before I bothered him, but he drove away before I got anyone on the line. Since I couldn't find my jack (it wasn't where the car manual said it'd be), I asked for a wheel change assist. Then I poked around some more, found the jack, thought "I don't want to wait the 2hrs they said it'd take and I'm a growed-up person" so I went at it, realizing the gaps in the car manual (such as: there's a warning not to place the jack in the wrong place, like that'd cause a hellmouth to open, but no mention of where the right place would be). I called AAA back to cancel, went at it, and as I'm putting the spare on, another AAA truck parks _right where the other one was_. I joked that maybe this is where they all take their break, but this was the guy originally assigned to me, just wanting to check in to see if I was okay. Awww! He did help speed things up and -- pro tip -- inflated my spare, which after years in the back had lost its own air.

Drove home carefully in what was now a downpour, have to find time to go to a tire place.

ddt

El Jeffe – January 24, 2017 05:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
no one wants to admit when they are being stalked.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 24, 2017 07:23PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
El jeffe swaps brakes in between push ups :)

John Willoughby – January 25, 2017 06:37AM Reply Quote
AAA&DDT

John Willoughby – February 01, 2017 01:11PM Reply Quote
Really lusting for this car. It's where Nissan should have taken the next gen of the Leaf, rather than unceremoniously executing everybody involved with the project (or so I assume).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login